Author Topic: What is flowering/fruiting in your yard? Spring 2016  (Read 13827 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What is flowering/fruiting in your yard? Spring 2016
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
Z - last few years fruit set was good on the Coc.  This year not so much.  If you remember where that tree you saw was, in that same yard trees that usually are soso in production are loaded, Step, Dominica and Dot.  The Maha there is off like the Coc.  I have not paid cloee attention to the Kent and Kiew Yai there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:11:06 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
Willow - are all those stone fruits low cill?  Never seen a low chill plumcot or some of those nectarine varieties here.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »
Add my first ever fully home-grown pineapple to my fruiting list!!!!  :)

And as of today, we can move Sherbet Berry/Phalsa/Grewia asiatica from the flowering list to the fruiting list! Very excited, as these will be my first!
LP, please update when you get to taste the Phalsa.  I am interested in your opinion of the taste.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
Z - last few years fruit set was good on the Coc.  This year not so much.  If you remember where that tree you saw was, in that same yard trees that usually are soso in production are loaded, Step, Dominica and Dot.  The Maha there is off like the Coc.  I have not paid cloee attention to the Kent and Kiew Yai there.

Great info! Thanks much Rob!! And I do remember Excalibur's Coc tree that is ten feet away from the wall of a house. You showed us around, we bought some fruit trees and some bags 8-3-9. I bought my Coc mango tree that day. Spring of 2012.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:38:52 AM by zands »

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 11:24:56 AM »
Add my first ever fully home-grown pineapple to my fruiting list!!!!  :)

And as of today, we can move Sherbet Berry/Phalsa/Grewia asiatica from the flowering list to the fruiting list! Very excited, as these will be my first!
LP, please update when you get to taste the Phalsa.  I am interested in your opinion of the taste.

Will be happy to! The first berries are very tiny right now, but definitely there. The plant is still loaded with flowers, and pushing new ones all the time. I'm excited if this is really going to be as productive as it seems like. Grewia asiatic does not ripen all at once, so I should have berries here and there most days for quite a few months, it seems like. Apparently you can pick them when they are full size but not fully ripe, and they will ripen within a week, so I don't necessarily have to leave them all on the plant until they are ready. Since the plant is not native to here, I'm not sure how well our local wildlife will adapt to it. Although I have plenty of honeybees in the yard, I have been hand-pollinating just to be sure I get fruit, so I'm not sure if that's necessary or not - I have not see bees or wasps on the pollen-filled flowers yet. And I don't know if I'll need to pick the berries early to get them before birds do, or if birds won't recognize that they're edible. The birds know my new native Red Mulberry well apparently, because they rip fruit off it before the fruit is even more than half ripe, so I had to net it down. But I have a banyan that is not quite like a native variety (I think it may have hybridized) and it's loaded with tiny sweet figs and yet they never touch them. So I don't know if my Grewia asiatica is going to be a favorite target of local wildlife or not. If it is, that will certainly affect when I can give a review of the flavor, lol!

The pineapple is a West African Sugarloaf (serrated edges), which I have never tasted before, so I'm excited to experience the flavor of that also! [Too bad I'll likely have to wait until around October for it, and if we have a hurricane this year I might never get to try it at all!]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:07:11 PM by LivingParadise »

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »
Yesterday I just finished picking the last of an estimated 40 pounds of Jaboticaba from my tree. I lost about another 40 pounds to birds/squirrels.   But, how much can one eat?  LOL.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 12:08:07 PM »
Yesterday I just finished picking the last of an estimated 40 pounds of Jaboticaba from my tree. I lost about another 40 pounds to birds/squirrels.   But, how much can one eat?  LOL.

Wow. Jealousy, thy name is LivingParadise...

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
All of these are flowering and look like they've set fruit:

Apples:
Gala
Pixie Crunch

Citrus:
Meyers Lemon
Washington Valencia Orange

Santa Rosa Plum

My mango was just planted this winter and has not produced any flowers yet.  I will most likely pinch off the apples and oranges as the trees are still too young/small.  The plum tree is nicely matured and I may get up to a dozen or more plums this year.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 06:40:59 PM »
What trees above can be placed single that will self pollinate? Or does the majority need to be in pairs?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »
What trees above can be placed single that will self pollinate? Or does the majority need to be in pairs?

Not sure exactly which trees above you were referring to, but the majority of our trees can frut just fine by themselves...they will set more fruit with others planted nearby, but it isn't necessary in most cases.  Some citrus, apples, require pollinators. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
bsbullie - I'm on Grand Bahama Island and have been experimenting (zone pushing) with stone fruit with very encouraging results. Even with the particularly warm, mild recent winter all of my stone fruit produced flowers (that's a start). This is in-spite of "requiring" up to 300 chill hours in the case of for the Plumcot Hybrid Plum. The inference I've drawn is that the trees don't require as much chill hours as we think or maybe as published. Perhaps nobody gave the trees the memo on the definition of a chill hour. Perhaps I can try trees that "require" more chill hours. Apples are a good candidate for this experiment. Now I'm still evaluating and there are some provisos, but that's for another time. I got my bare-root trees from Willis Orchard Co. Consider an experiment of your own. The shipping season is closed now, but otherwise it's pretty inexpensive to get in the game.   

Willow - are all those stone fruits low cill?  Never seen a low chill plumcot or some of those nectarine varieties here.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 10:12:52 AM »
Willow - are they setting fruit?  Heat can have an adverse reaction on the successful pollination and setting of some fruits.
- Rob

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
bsbullie - The Plumcot Hybrid Plum set fruit earlier in the year (it is advertised as self fertile), unfortunately I lost the BB- sized fruit to heavy wind and rain one night. To my surprise it is flowering again. I have it planted in the same hole with a Methley Plum which is also flowering now (no fruit set yet). Hopefully this pairing gives me even better fruit set going forward. Will the fruit make it to full-term? Will the heat and humidity prove too much? Well this is just the second Spring so I'm watching closely. Not expecting too much in the way of fruit this year. I am however focused on getting the trees to put on weight (skinny whips) and to develop scaffold branches. Keeping an eye out for fungal and other issues. So far I'm encouraged.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 05:34:18 PM »
bsbullie - The Plumcot Hybrid Plum set fruit earlier in the year (it is advertised as self fertile), unfortunately I lost the BB- sized fruit to heavy wind and rain one night. To my surprise it is flowering again. I have it planted in the same hole with a Methley Plum which is also flowering now (no fruit set yet). Hopefully this pairing gives me even better fruit set going forward. Will the fruit make it to full-term? Will the heat and humidity prove too much? Well this is just the second Spring so I'm watching closely. Not expecting too much in the way of fruit this year. I am however focused on getting the trees to put on weight (skinny whips) and to develop scaffold branches. Keeping an eye out for fungal and other issues. So far I'm encouraged.

That is good information.  You should start a new thread and keep it updated so us central and south Floridians can take notice.
- Rob

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 10:57:43 PM »

This is very encouraging - I agree, you should start a new thread on it so others can learn and try similar experiments!

Add Barbados cherry - 2 of them - to my flowering (and hopefully soon fruiting) list as of yesterday... Only got a few last year (maybe birds ate the others?), so I'm hoping for more because it's been awhile! I got a whole round of flowering a few months ago without noticing a single cherry - possibly because of birds but I don't know, I was admittedly not checking too frequently. This time I will be watching more closely, and netting as soon as I see fruit set. I have hand-pollinated frequently but I don't know if it's really doing anything, since I never see any visible pollen come off the flowers. It could also be a lack of consistent rain just when I need it, but this time around I will have time to supplement with a little water. I would love to see them really loaded for once, as I enjoy the tart-tasting fruit, and they have great nutritional benefits!

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
All Citrus trees, Pomegranates Wonderful and Nana, Barbados cherry, Surinam cherry, NDM4 and Dwarf Hawaiian mango, Mulberry black (no idea what var. it is), Peach trees Tropic Beauty and Bonfire, Mauritius Lychee, Natal plum, Strawberry Guava and Variegated (getting ready to open), Persimmon Fuyu and Triumph(? lost tug) and 18 pineapples this year.  ::) :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:23:21 PM by Galka »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 09:25:57 PM »
All Citrus trees, Pomegranates Wonderful and Nana, Barbados cherry, Surinam cherry, NDM4 and Dwarf Hawaiian mango, Mulberry black (no idea what var. it is), Peach trees Tropic Beauty and Bonfire, Mauritius Lychee, Natal plum, Strawberry Guava and Variegated (getting ready to open), Persimmon Fuyu and Triumph(? lost tug) and 18 pineapples this year.  ::) :)

Don't worry Galka.  Next year will have a pineapple harvest that is not totally embarrassing  ;) ;D
~Jeff

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »

Don't worry Galka.  Next year will have a pineapple harvest that is not totally embarrassing  ;) ;D

gunnar429  ;) :D Next year I will have a variegated pineapple harvest for sure.  :P Just noticed my Ruby Supreme Guava is going to fruit.  :D

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 08:24:05 PM »
**Update** Add Kari starfruit to the flowering (and hopefully soon fruiting) list!

This is great news, because I have had 3 starfruits prior to this one that all died due to spider mite. The Neem/Rosemary oil combination has finally worked all over the yard, and this 4th starfruit is the first one I've ever had to live long enough to make flowers!! Take that, horrible Keys plant plague! At last, plants are starting to thrive in every corner of the yard. So pleased! And, I've never had a Kari starfruit, so am really looking forward to it! [For those having pest problems, if you haven't tried Neem oil, I would strongly recommend it - it can kill a large variety of bad things while not harming the plant, and being organic. Even better, in concentrations that one would use for plant care, it does not harm any beneficial insects, including bees, butterflies, or ladybugs - some beekeepers even spray it directly on their hives to control mites that harm the bees! Just make sure you're diluting it properly in water, and it will go a long way.]

Also, I found that my Chinese petite cucumbers are already flowering, despite still being pretty small plants just recently born from seeds. So yay for that, too!

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
I've planted about 70 trees since moving in a couple years ago to a property with and established longan grove.  Over 50 mangos and lots of jackfruit and assorted others were planted. 

The Rosigold is the star producer of the new trees with about 30 mangos growing.  Second best is Rapoza with plenty of flowers and good fruit set.  Both of these have been strong healthy growing trees.  Other mangos that have some very light production are San Felipe, Carrie, Kent, Edward, Keitt, and Valcarrie.  Ice Cream had strong flowers second year in a row with no fruit set.  Others had some light flowering and the rest no flowers, only leaf flush.  I'm giving trees 5 years before I decide if they deserve to keep their space.

All 6 lychees (Brewster and Mauritius) are loaded with fruit and longans are flowering and setting fruit nicely.

Bangkok lemon jak had several male flowers but is still to small to fruit even if it had females.  No other jaks have flowered.

Red Jabo has been giving a few fruits every month.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
**Update** Add Kari starfruit to the flowering (and hopefully soon fruiting) list!

This is great news, because I have had 3 starfruits prior to this one that all died due to spider mite. The Neem/Rosemary oil combination has finally worked all over the yard, and this 4th starfruit is the first one I've ever had to live long enough to make flowers!! Take that, horrible Keys plant plague! At last, plants are starting to thrive in every corner of the yard. So pleased! And, I've never had a Kari starfruit, so am really looking forward to it!

I might use rosemary oil alone for mites on avocado trees. Rosemary oil miticide info. How many tablespoon per gallon did you use of the neem and rosemary oils? btw Kari carambola is worth waiting for. Had my last one of the winter crop yesterday. The last ones are the sweetest.

Found on ebay:   Rosemary Essential Oil in Glass 16 Oz $25.99
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:18:08 PM by zands »

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:47 PM »
I have much to be thankful for this Spring. Add to my list my 4ft sugar apple, which I have mentioned in other threads as having put out nothing in contrast to a 6-mos-old seedling that put out flowers - today I saw quite a few baby flower buds starting in various places!! I would be so excited if these flowers hold and pollinate, and if the tree holds fruit. It was a rescue from a nursery that was going throw it out because it had such bad mite and scale problems, but some extra TLC and Neem oil saved it! It is a little misshapen as a tree (growing rather sideways) but I am so glad I rescued it - it is definitely large enough to hold a few fruit without breaking, and these would be my first ever sugar apples that I would have grown myself.

Additionally, I have mentioned my blackberry jam fruit/randia formosa in other threads, and have been wondering just what it will take for the larger of the two to pop out flowers, as it looked to me just about the size that should be able to bear fruit. And sure enough, I checked it out closely the other day and the very first flower had emerged! It fell and died as there were no others on that plant or the smaller one next to it to pollinate it, but still, that was very exciting and reassuring. I'm not sure how long I will have to wait to actually taste a fruit, but at least the plant should be capable of it.

My 2 pygmy date palms are also flowering for the first time ever, and they are putting out an insane number of spadices - I can't imagine these little trees carrying so many dates! They are still just palm-frond-tops more than actual trees. Granted, these are not grown for their fruit (the previous owner put them in), but as I understand it, they taste similar to the regular date palms but just have very little fruit to them. I'm excited to try them as I've never had a fresh date anyway, and as it turns out there is another palm in the yard that is bearing a horde of small red fruit (I am not 100% sure but I think it is a solitaire palm... I know for sure it's not a Manila palm as I already have several of those elsewhere) and I happened to find out that their fruit are really good - very tangy and a bit cranberry-like, despite there being very little flesh per seed. So given that I enjoy another palm's fruit that is not even really known to be edible, I have hopes that the Phoenix roebelenii will taste quite good to me... and lord knows there will be enough of them, if the bees can find their way under the crowded fronds to pollinate all the flowers!

I got to taste my first ever cocoplum fruits off my shrubs, and found them to be really good - or at least some of them were, tasting kind of like a blueberry with cotton candy inside. Some of the smaller ones appeared fully ripe, but didn't have much flavor. It may be that these plants need longer to mature before all the fruit get bigger and tastier.

My beautyberry is also putting out a bunch more fruit, which is great for such a little plant.

I have honeydew that are flowering now also, so I'm looking forward to harvesting my first melons further down the line!

I also have a Strawberry tree/Muntingia calabura that has fruit, which is exciting for me because I've owned a tree before, but never long enough for it to set fruit. I also have a Yellow Strawberry guava that has its first fruit. I have never tasted the fruits of either plant, so that's exciting! Let's hope they stay on the trees long enough to get ripe, and not get stolen by something before I can try them!

I've still got my eye on my guanabana, my 2 Vietnam pomegranates, and 2 lychees of unknown seedling origin, in hopes of first flowers arriving this year. All are looking very healthy and happy and like they could be about fruiting size at this point... Will have to wait another full year for the Maha Chanok which continues to do nothing, no new leaves, no pannicles, no apparent growth really at all... but I'm certainly glad it's still alive, although I am VERY disappointed that I do not have any mangoes growing in my yard this year at all. I hope for next year!

----
Sorry, I didn't see the question about the Neem oil earlier, but since I don't have any Neem seeds that have sprouted yet, as of now I don't have any fresh Neem to make sprays out of. So I use an oil I purchased, and just follow the instructions on the bottle for mixing. I don't recall, but it's something like 2 tbsps per 32oz of water... Don't quote me, just follow the instructions on it if you've bought some. As for the Rosemary oil, that was purchased as a spray, so I didn't need to mix with water. But, I found that the strongest combo for really difficult problems was when I mixed the Neem oil/water solution with some of the Rosemary oil/organic insecticidal soap. The organic rosemary oil/soap was not that strong by itself, and did the trick but needed numerous applications - like once every 2-3 days. The Neem oil is much stronger, and fixes a wider range of plant problems - it seems to only need an application once every 1-2 wks. For really stubborn problems, the two combined were very effective, and in some cases only needed a single thorough spraying with no further applications - which given that the dry seasons here are very harsh and so the pests tend to have a field day with the plants that cling to life, is rather miraculous. I could not tell you if mixing these ingredients is safe, or creates a volatile chemical when combined - I just took the chance and mixed them anyway, hoping that since they're both organic and reasonably safe in and of themselves for living things, that they could combine safely. I can only say that I did not witness any problems with the plants from using the combination. But I don't generally know if it's a good idea to combine these oils/insecticidal soaps where they are not already purchased combined. So that's a little disclaimer before you try it. But in my experience, it seemed helpful for very difficult problems.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:00:45 PM by LivingParadise »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »
first Neelam crop coming in nicely, only mango tree in the yard that seems to be setting a decent crop this year.

Side note:
Atlaufo mangos are on sale in Sams a box for around $6, better then nothing I assume.
Any body in FL have success with it as a rootstock?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2016, 11:07:47 PM »
add grumichama to the flowering list... 8)
~Jeff

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:00 PM »
Fruiting/Blooming in our yard:

Mango
Dot
Harvest Moon
Valencia Pride
Pickering
Malika
Lemon Zest (loaded with little fruit)
Cogshall
Southern Blush
Peach Cobbler
Pina Colada
Maha Chanok
Kesar
Glenn
Nam Doc Mai
Coconut Cream
(Eldon, Fruit Punch, and Sweet Tart were flowering but we removed the flowers early on)

Lychee
Sweetheart
HakIp
Brewster
No Mai Tze
(still no blooms on our Ohia)

Sapodilla
Alano
Silas Wood
Tikal

Bananas
Pitogo - fruit almost ready
Dare from GRIN - not true Dare, something in the Pome family
Dwarf Orinoco
Orinoco
Raja Puri - fruit almost ready

Passion Fruit
Fredricks
Possum Purple
Sulcata Red
Panama Red

Avocado
Daisy
Ooh La La (Super Haas)

Figs
Idlewood
Nazarti
DiRito
Vito
Black Mission

Ross Sapote
Miracle Fruit - always covered in flowers/fruit
Longan - Big Jim
Loquat - Bradenton with mature fruit
Grumichama
All Spice
Yerba Mate in full bloom
Painters Red Wax Jambu blooming but will remove flowers
White Sapote - Redlands
Key Lime
Naranjilla - ripe fruit
Several grocery store pineapple tops with fruit
Mulberry
Easy Peel Sugar Apple
Florida Sweet Barbados Cherry
Jamaican Cherry
Sunshine Blue Blueberries
Lots of Strawberries

I see you grow pitogo.  Please keep us posted when you get the chance to try it.  What type of strawberries are you growing?

The Pitogo bananas were smaller than normal. We had heard that often the first plant will not produce edible fruit. Thankfully, we ended up with 3 hands. The fruit was very sweet and a great, soft texture. Was not sub-acid (not a huge fan of bananas that taste like apples). Hoping for a bigger raceme on the next one.