Author Topic: Stupid newbie question on growing mangos from seed  (Read 9409 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid newbie question on growing mangos from seed
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
OK, good feedback, thank you.  I'm assuming that would hold for all of the trees including the lime and the avocado?

Yes, for all of the trees.  You will be rewarded with patience....
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
My recommendation on trees from seeds is to simply grow them, keep one branch intact and graft over the rest with your top choice of variety, this way if the seedling disappoints after 3 to 5 years in terms of bad fruit, you can top work that branch while you already will have nice growth on grafts. this way you gave it a shot and didnt waste any time.  If seedling produces top quality, which does happen although odds are less, you are in win win situation.

I have Lemon Zest, Coco Cream, Peach Cobbler, Fruit Punch, Sweet Tart growing, these mangoes probably got cross pollinated with several top tier that also flowered including Puneet, Sindhu, ST, LZ, Imam Pasand, Sindhiri, Gary, Peach Cobbler, Amarpali, Manohar, Maha Chanok, and several more.  So, getting fruint out of this cross is something I want to wait and try, while I am going to graft them this year with top tier as well so I didnt want my time.

Definitely worth growing seedlings from top tier mangos but I stay away from crappy varieties.  I have an excellent fruiting seedling from Juliette mango and a crappy fruiting seedling(villa Clara) that I'm top working....so I won't waste my time with a Haden, Glenn, VP or the likes.... you are probably going to get a crappy seedling.
                                                 Crappy???   Parent Tommy Atkins =  Juicy Peach???
"Phoenix from Dot.
Juicy Peach from Tommy Atkins (i believe crossed with Gary)"  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=21982.msg268479#msg268479

Keep in mind, Gary did not get those 3 varieties from planting 3 seeds.  He planted out thousands and thousands...and he is Gary Zill.
- Rob

Gnarled J Trunk

• USA, FLA. 10ish
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2017, 07:32:46 PM »
Rob on the maps it says 10 but I'm inland Collier and I get some frost some years so I think I'm straddling a zone 
I have very good fruit. They're huge!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »
Rob on the maps it says 10 but I'm inland Collier and I get some frost some years so I think I'm straddling a zone

Gotcha...
- Rob

Gnarled J Trunk

• USA, FLA. 10ish
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »

Theres a huge difference in the 10A zone between the coast and the center a lot of that 10a gets frost when there is a cold year
I have very good fruit. They're huge!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk