Author Topic: Rudy #20 Cherimoya info?  (Read 1981 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Rudy #20 Cherimoya info?
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
Does anyone have info on Rudy #20 Cherimoya? I got scions from either Rudy, his son Mike or Frank. I have my first fruit to Brad and he thought it was fantastic, one of the better Moyas he’s had this year.

Here are some pictures of my second and last fruit, I only had two on a small grafted branch.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Rudy #20 Cherimoya info?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 04:43:22 PM »
You got it from me. I got it from Rudy. Rudy #20 along w Rudy#2 and 7 were consider for commercial before El Bumpo. I prefer all of his experimental moyas over El Bumpo. I will have scions available in my March anona scion sale for those who are interested in cherimoya scions. For those that like atemoya, saramoyos, custard apples I’ll take offer scions as well.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:24:24 PM by JF »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Frank! El Bumpos skin is too easily broken. The skin for Rudy#20 is unusual in that the skin is almost velvety. It is the only variety I can think of that has a velvety skin.

I’ll give a taste report when this fruit ripens.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
I cut into the Rudy#20 a few days ago and it was fantastic. It had a wonderful slight bubblegum flavor that is extremely delicious. The flesh was firm, white and velvety smooth and juicy. It was very sweet with a Brix reading of 24% and had excellent sugar acid balance. I didn’t have a ripe El Bumpo to compare it to but this fruit is as good if not better than El Bumpo.

I’ll have to sample this variety over the next couple of years to see if it’s consistently excellent but I am assuming it is, for now.

Brad and I are working on some Annona breeding projects and we will definitely be incorporating these genetics into our breeding program. We were originally going to use El Bumpo because of its excellent sugar acid balance but El Bumpo has to many fleshy bumps that bruise and scrape off too easily in transit.

Here are some pictures of the fruit.

Simon

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 03:42:37 AM »
that looks like fruits from one of my seedling tree.  It is pretty good tasting. acidic and sweet, and flavorful.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »
Wow Simon, that Rudy #20 sounds like a winner, good luck with your breeding experiment!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
Thanks, I’ll keep everyone updated.

Simon