Author Topic: Growing Blackberries in tropics? (South Florida)  (Read 8557 times)

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Growing Blackberries in tropics? (South Florida)
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »
Blackberries have high antioxidant and low glycemic properties, and I would like to know about growing this mountain fruit in the tropics (South florida).

Is it worth it to grow in the tropics? Can you get a decent yield (pounds of fruit to freeze) with a modest amount of effort, or is it more of a project / hassle to grow this fruit out of its preferred native habitat?

If so, can someone suggest a strain and a supplier (woman on phone @Excalibur said you need both a male and female, they only had one type available) in S. Florida?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:57:47 AM by BrettBorders »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Blackberries in tropics? (South Florida)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:22:52 AM »
Based on what I have seen........

1----lo yield compared to all the thorny growth you will get

2---the birds will spread them and you will get thorny stuff in places you don't want

3--- leading to no barefoot walking around in your garden, orchard etc

4----the yield was better and thicker, the berries closer together up north so you could pick a decent amount in a given time.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
Blackberries have high antioxidant and low glycemic properties, and I would like to know about growing this mountain fruit in the tropics (South florida).

Is it worth it to grow in the tropics? Can you get a decent yield (pounds of fruit to freeze) with a modest amount of effort, or is it more of a project / hassle to grow this fruit out of its preferred native habitat?

If so, can someone suggest a strain and a supplier (woman on phone @Excalibur said you need both a male and female, they only had one type available) in S. Florida?

Excalibur carries the Natchez Blackberry.  It is monoecious and does not require cross pollination.  It will, however, give a higher yield with cross pollination.
- Rob

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »

Excalibur carries the Natchez Blackberry.  It is monoecious and does not require cross pollination.  It will, however, give a higher yield with cross pollination.

I have this one planted- I did have some fruit but the birds ate most of it ( this year Ill use netting). I didn't have fruit on this until the second year btw. The berries are just ok, not that sweet compared with mulberries.  If you have the room, mulberries are the much better - so good that they are addicting.

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
There's a couple blackberries that should do well in your area. The main one is Tupi, it's grown throughout Mexico for commercial production. I actually just got a big pack of berries at Costco that were labeled Tupi and they tasted great. I hear the canes have tons of thorns, but that's expected.

Also, Triple Crown is worth a try, it's thornless.

Boysenberry is also a candidate, it's grown throughout SoCal and great for the home garden.

Finally, any of the Prime-Ark berries (Freedom is the latest release and thornless) don't need chill hours on their primocanes. The floricanes need chill but it's unknown how many hours since it's so new. I only get 200 hours or less, so this year I'll know if my floricanes fruit. This variety is widely available, usually only $4 for a 4" pot.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »
Josh - Florida and California have great differences with respect to climate, especially temps.  Triple Crown requires way too many chill hours.

The following is an excerpt from the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, published in 2013.  Keep in mind, just cause a sertain cultivar is on the list does not mean it is locally available.

Cultivars

'Apache' is an erect, thornless blackberry bush released by the University of Arkansas. In Arkansas, it produces higher yields and larger fruit than the other thornless cultivars, 'Arapaho' and 'Navaho'. 'Apache' produces a 10 g berry, which is the largest of the three thornless cultivars. Berries are conical in shape with a glossy black finish. Soluble solids average 10 °Brix, and fruit firmness is acceptable and similar to that of 'Arapaho'. 'Apache' has not been adequately tested in North Florida, although it is expected to do well in areas where 'Arapaho' and 'Navaho' have done well. For additional information, consult Clark and Moore (1999a). 'Apache' is now under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy.

'Arapaho' is an erect, thornless blackberry bush released from the University of Arkansas breeding program (Moore and Clark 1993). It has good fruit quality and ripens before 'Apache' and 'Navaho'. It is moderately vigorous. Symptoms of rosette have not been observed. Yield characteristics in North Florida have been as follows: yield of 1.7 tons/acre, berry weight of 4.5 g, and soluble solids of 10 °Brix. For additional information concerning the performance of 'Arapaho' in North Florida, consult Table 1. In Florida, it is likely only adapted to extreme North Florida. 'Arapaho' is now under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy.

'Brazos' is an erect, thorny blackberry cultivar released by the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (Lewis 1959). Yields have generally been high in North Florida and South Georgia. The fruit are medium in size. Since fruit are high in acidity, 'Brazos' is mostly used for jams, jellies, and baking. 'Brazos' is self-fruitful and generally ripens from mid-May to late May. Rosette disease is a serious problem. This disease contributes to productivity loss in 'Brazos' blackberry plants with age.

'Chester' is a semi-erect, thornless blackberry that may require trellising. 'Chester' has a wide range of adaptability in the United States, but to our knowledge it has not been tested previously in Florida. 'Chester' reportedly produces a high yield. Berry size is medium large (about 5 g), and flavor is mild. Ripening date is July. 'Chester' is currently under trial in North Florida at the UF NFREC–Quincy. It is not recommended for Florida because it has a high chilling requirement.

'Chickasaw' was released in 1999 by the University of Arkansas. It is an erect, thorny blackberry bush that is among the highest-yielding cultivars in Arkansas. Berries are long and cylindrical. Berry weight is about 7–10 g, and firmness is rated high. Berries are sweet, averaging about 9–10 °Brix. Quantitative yield data are not available for Florida. 'Chickasaw' has better postharvest keeping quality than 'Shawnee'. For more information, refer to Clark and Moore (1999b).

'Choctaw' is an erect, thorny, high-yielding blackberry cultivar from the University of Arkansas. The fruit are medium in size (about 5 g) and moderately sweet in flavor. This cultivar is most noted for early ripening, small seed size, and good flavor. Consult Moore and Clark (1989a) for more information.

'Flordagrand' was released in 1964 by the University of Florida for home and local markets. Flordagrand is adapted to Central Florida, where it is evergreen in growth habit and requires a pollenizer. 'Flordagrand' has a trailing growth habit. The berries are oblong in shape, shiny black in color, and average just over 5 g. The berries are tart in favor (high in acidity), and soluble solids average 8 °Brix. It is not often grown any longer. For more information, refer to Shoemaker et al. (1964).

'Kiowa' is a large-fruited, erect, thorny cultivar from the University of Arkansas breeding program. A large fruit size (> 10 g) is maintained throughout the season. It has good firmness and flavor. 'Kiowa' averages 10 °Brix. For more information, consult Moore and Clark (1996). 'Kiowa' is now under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy.

'Natchez' is an erect, thornless blackberry recently released and patented by the University of Arkansas. 'Natchez' has produced very high yields in Arkansas and is expected to supplant or replace 'Arapaho'. Average berry weight is medium to high (5–8 g). Soluble solids average 8.7 °Brix. Berries are very firm and attractive. 'Natchez' has not been tested previously in Florida, although it is currently under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy. For more information, consult Clark and Moore (2008).

'Navaho' is an erect, thornless blackberry cultivar from the University of Arkansas breeding program. Yields in Arkansas are moderate to high. In Florida, yields have been 1.8 tons/acre or slightly higher than that of 'Arapaho' (Table 1). The berries are small to moderate in size (3.5–4 g) and moderately sweet in flavor (9 °Brix). Disadvantages include late ripening and a prolonged ripening period. Consult Moore and Clark (1989b) for more information. 'Navaho' is now under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy.

'Oklawaha' was released by the University of Florida in 1964. It is semi-evergreen to evergreen and has a trailing growth habit. 'Oklawaha' requires trellising. It was released as a pollenizer for 'Flordagrand'. Similarly, 'Oklawaha' is self-unfruitful and requires a pollenizer. Berries are moderate in size. Soluble solids average about 8 °Brix. It is not often grown any longer. Refer to Shoemaker and Westgate (1964) for more information.

'Ouachita' is an erect-growing, thornless cultivar released from the University of Arkansas breeding program (Clark and Moore 2005). It is expected to do well where 'Apache', 'Arapaho', and 'Navaho' have performed well. Desirable characteristics of 'Ouachita' include consistent high yields, large fruit size, and good postharvest keeping quality. Fruit averages about 10 °Brix and is larger than that of 'Arapaho' and 'Navaho'; yields are comparable to 'Apache'. For more information, consult Clark and Moore (2005). 'Ouachita' is now under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy.

'Osage' is the most recent cultivar from the University of Arkansas breeding program (Clark 2013). It is an erect thornless cultivar with excellent post harvest qauality.Yield is medium high and berry size is medium (5a). Soluble solids average 10 °Brix

'Shawnee' is a 1984 release from the University of Arkansas breeding program. It has a prolonged ripening period during which the fruit retain a large size throughout. This cultivar has largely been replaced by 'Choctaw,' 'Chickasaw,' and 'Kiowa'.

'Triple Crown' is a semi-erect, thornless blackberry that may require trellising. 'Triple Crown' is very productive with large, sweet berries. Berries are firm with a good sugar/acid balance. Ripening date is early July. 'Triple Crown' is grown in central and northern North America. 'Triple Crown' requires a high chilling requirement and is not adapted to Florida.

'Tupi' is a thorny, semi-erect blackberry that was developed in Brazil and is the most common commercial blackberry cultivar in Mexico. In low-chilling areas of Mexico, flower bud development is promoted by chemical defoliation and application of gibberellic acid. 'Tupi' produces a large fruit with a good sugar/acid balance. 'Tupi' has not been tested previously in Florida, but is currently under trial at the UF NFREC–Quincy.
- Rob

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
I visited a guy over in Hakalau last year who was growing blackberries, I think he had Natchez.  He claimed they were fruiting reliably.  We'd have a lot less chill hours than you so should be fine in your area with that one.  I'm hoping to try some this year but have low expectations.

John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
same as naturelover____

If I had the room I would plant mulberry. The best kind I could find for south Florida .......  no blackberries. Such as Benders Grove has limited supply of Himalayan Mulberry trees. I know nothing about this type mulberry but sounds good just going by the name. Dark mulberries prolly have all the nutritional goodies you are looking for in blackberries

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
I tried the thornless young berry as blackberries never worked out here. Plenty of fruit, but the thing grows faster than any weed, spreads like mad, self layers way too quickly, suckers, and self seeds very time you miss a fruit. The suckers and seedlings are not thornless and are a real pain in the butt, but the kids love the fruit, which comes in an otherwise pretty lean time.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »
While whats avaliabe at the grocery. qualiity wise, may or may not be applicable to all fruits but do all blackberries have that lingering, bitter after taste- even though they are fairly sweet? I too am contemplating growing cvs that are favorable for FL.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »
Kiowa is strongly recommended for the Houston area, monster berries.  All of my blackberries are not exactly in the best location for sunlight, mid-day only and some are zero direct in winter.  I did get some from the Kiowa (thorny) last year, but all of my blackberries are fairly young.  Pretty vigorous growth from the Kiowa.
The Navajo are supposed to be the best tasting but mine are not doing well, don't think they like the heat, not giving up yet.
My Arapahos (possible Oachita, maybe confused) are doing well too, again vigorous growth but young plants with small yield.
The Oachita are less vigorous (may have the Arapaho and Oachita confused).
I have a brazos too, that is supposed to do well here, but mine is really small.
I have a volunteer dewberry, that has vicious needle thorns and it runs like crazy, little yield but I wasn't pruning it, I will this year.
I have really high hopes for a Jewel black raspberry, was out of town and mockingbirds got all but one and it was amazing, jury out on production.
Blackberries are definitely an understory fruit, so hoping for at least decent results from a bad location.
I had an awesome patch up north, blackberries are my favorite berry, definitely surpass blueberries in my book, not that blueberries are bad by any means. 
They definitely can be invasion, gotta beat them back every year or you'll be sorry.
Don't know the reference to bitter, they can be sour, there is a very narrow window of perfectly ripe before goo.  As soon as they lose the glossy sheen they are ready to go.   You can pick twice a day for optimum ripeness.  Refrigerate asap, freeze almost indefinitey.
Difficult to get a perfect berry from the store, the firmer less ripe berries handle shipping better.

BMC,  never heard of this with thorns on sucker but not parent.  Grafted?  Very strange.  Tip root them, you should be the exact same as the mother plant.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
BMC,  never heard of this with thorns on sucker but not parent.  Grafted?  Very strange.  Tip root them, you should be the exact same as the mother plant.

Its very strange. Very thorny plants pop up a foot or so from the base of the plant, well away from the parts of the plant that are fruiting. They seem to be coming from quite deep down and don't seem to have roots of their own, so I assume they are growing off the roots of the thornless plant. I could be mistaken. Tip rooting and layering produce thornless plants, just some of the root suckers seem to be producing thorny growths. I have also assumed they are suckers as they come out of the ground like a volcano and grow so rapidly in comparison to the slow and slender growth of the seedlings and tip and ground layered ones. The plant isn't grafted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk