Author Topic: Should I dig up June Plum/Ambarella and toss into the garbage?  (Read 2677 times)

chrobrego

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Should I dig up June Plum/Ambarella and toss into the garbage?
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
What a shame. I have a gorgeous looking two year old ambarella that finally produced some ripe fruit. Loads of ripe fruit.  The only problem is that the fruit is extremely cumbersome to eat and after you remove the spiky seed, you aren't left with much. To make matters worse, it doesn't really taste that great to me. I'm thinking of just ripping the darn thing out. Am I missing something?  Anyone growing this tree and enjoying the fruit?

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Should I dig up June Plum/Ambarella and toss into the garbage?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
I share the opinion on ambarella whether eaten ripe or green. I would not have one taking up space, even the ultra-dwarf varieties that take up very little space.

I know the fondness of the plant is also dependent a lot on nationality - i think those that grew up with the plant in the tropics are really fond of it.
- Colin

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
I like to eat them nice and ripe. I find it easiest to just bite around the spiky seed. You can even bite the flesh from the spikes. They don't hurt. That being said I ripped mine out when I changed my yard and the one I have in the pot I will probably try to sell at next years tree sale. You can keep them pruned back and I used to break off half on the flower stalks to thin.
-Josh

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »
Some tree's fruit improves with age? Not sure about June plum. I usually give a tree more then
one season but I don't want a fruit I don't like growing in my yard

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
I enjoy them cause it's something I grew up eating not only as a fruit, but in preserves and West Indian/ Caribbean dishes as well. Granted, its not the sweetest fruit but its very productive. See if you can grow to like it. If not then you can get rid of it (compost or "you dig you keep" charity).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
In both dwarf and standards fruit can be eaten green like an apple in particular ways or ripe and the flesh yield of dwarfs isn't great. Some standards have much larger fruit and are pretty good ripe.
My view is when in doubt, rip it out. Only grow what you really like or want and have the best yield of useable fruit per area that you can.

lordkiwi

• USA Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 12:00:12 PM »
What a shame. I have a gorgeous looking two year old ambarella that finally produced some ripe fruit. Loads of ripe fruit.  The only problem is that the fruit is extremely cumbersome to eat and after you remove the spiky seed, you aren't left with much. To make matters worse, it doesn't really taste that great to me. I'm thinking of just ripping the darn thing out. Am I missing something?  Anyone growing this tree and enjoying the fruit?

Is it a full size or dwarf? if its dwarf can you please share cuttings before you trash your tree?  I had drunk a June plum juice /w ginger from Grace Juice and thought there might be more to the fruit then the small greens ones I see in the store from time to time.   I tasted my first fully ripe June plum this year on a trip to Trinidad and I loved it.  I have since bought the dwarf june plum from Logees, its flowered but not yet set fruit.  Dwarf is a genetic trait not a one time occurrence so there are many different plants out there some may have better fruit the others or I may just like the fruit more then you.   

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
I have a 30 gal potted dwarf ambarella (spondias dulcis) that has been root bound for a few years now. Currently it has fruits on it that are just starting to change color. It also has young green fruit and bloom spikes forming. It doesn't make it into my top 10 fruits but I do enjoy them when they are very ripe. They remind me of mango/pineapple/yellow sweet bell pepper, a nice fruit to nibble on.

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
Supposedly the leaves of ambarella are good to eat, either raw in salad, or cooked with rice or so.  They are said to have a unique flavor but I have yet to try it. May be worth your consideration.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
chrobrego,
if you going to toss it, why not give it to someone ?

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
I like my dwarfs and planted more . I also got a hold of the regular size one , growing like crazy , do they have the same scientific name and common name or just ' dwarf and regular ambarella '
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north