Author Topic: Selling Scions of over 150 types of mango and jackfruit  (Read 77397 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Scions of over 150 types of mango and jackfruit
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
I'm officially all caught up after my vacation.  All orders will be cut and shipped on the monday after they are received or the following monday depending on how many orders are in line before you.
George

jatt187

• Bakersfield California
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2016, 05:04:54 AM »
what are the best tasting ones? i currently have 5 seeds starting i will be ordering some soon.

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »
Limited supply of borneo red and bangkok lemon jackfruit seeds.  10 for $20 plus shipping.
George

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »
George,

Just got the scions, they look great, thanks! And thanks for all the extras!!
- Mark

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2016, 02:17:16 AM »
Do you still have scions available?   For jackfruit? 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2016, 06:05:20 AM »
All of my jackfruit and most of my mangos are available.  Just PM me with specifically what you are looking for.
George

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »
Hi, George.  Will you keep up with the new Zill introductions as they become available?
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »
Hi, George.  Will you keep up with the new Zill introductions as they become available?

No, he has been banned from any further acquisitions....
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »

No, he has been banned from any further acquisitions....
That can't be.  Don Georgio is the the Mango King of Broward County!
John

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »
Rest assured that my OCD will assure that I grab any mango tree that does not currently reside in my collection as it becomes available.

Mango King of Broward County . . . I like the sounds of that. 
George

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
I bow to you, your Majesty.
John

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2016, 05:33:05 PM »
George I'm a little overwhelmed and impressed by your list of jackfruit scions.  I don't know where to start.  If you could suggest top 5 on the list what would they be? 

I Primarily like crunchy jackfruit. Obviously low lates is I big plus.  I'm intrigued by the red varieties you are offering. Do they taste much different than the yellow? 

Anyone else that has a suggestion please chime in!!  Thanks!
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
Hey George,

I second Kona's request. I have a few seedlings and I would like to graft on 1-2 varieties on them. I am jakfruit newbie, I had some from our local international market and really enjoyed it! Had no idea what cultivar it was.

But I would like to know which ones you really like (a top 5 list)

And to make it a little more focused: If you had to start over and you had to choose the two varieties you can't live without, which ones are they?

Thanks!
- Mark

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2016, 01:30:11 AM »
Hey George,

I second Kona's request. I have a few seedlings and I would like to graft on 1-2 varieties on them. I am jakfruit newbie, I had some from our local international market and really enjoyed it! Had no idea what cultivar it was.

And to make it a little more focused: If you had to start over and you had to choose the two varieties you can't live without, which ones are they?

Thanks!

I'm not George but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ..

Personally,  I dont recommend grafting multiple varieties onto one tree.  With jackfruit,  since you have separate male znd female  "flowers" and its cruical to have male flowers at the same time as female,  grafting two different varieties on the same tree diminishes the chances for full and proper pollination as different varieties can tend to have different flowering times.  In addition,  if they did flower at the same time you could run the risk of cross pollination which for a backyard grower looking to get specific fruit, not a good thing.

With that geing said, I would go with Red Morning,  Excalibur Red,  Bangkok Lemon,  Crunchy Lemon and Mai 3.
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2016, 01:54:23 AM »
Hey George,

Thanks!

Personally,  I dont recommend grafting multiple varieties onto one tree.  With jackfruit,  since you have separate male znd female  "flowers" and its cruical to have male flowers at the same time as female,  grafting two different varieties on the same tree diminishes the chances for full and proper pollination as different varieties can tend to have different flowering times.  In addition,  if they did flower at the same time you could run the risk of cross pollination which for a backyard grower looking to get specific fruit, not a good thing.

With that geing said, I would go with Red Morning,  Excalibur Red,  Bangkok Lemon,  Crunchy Lemon and Mai 3.

Why would cross pollination be a problem?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2016, 02:05:00 AM »
Hey George,

Thanks!

For someone trying to create a new variety,  nothing.  For a newbie backyard grower, just trying to fruit a jackfruit in a marginal location, I would recommend sticking to the beat chance of pollination and creating a fruit if the named variety they purchased
- Rob

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2016, 03:26:34 AM »
Bsbullie.  I really appreciate the top 5 list. This is the direction I'm needing.  George what would your top 5 list be?  Then I can make my mind up and order these bad boys.

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2016, 07:01:35 AM »
I have not tried a great many of the jackfruit I currently have planted out.  I purchased many of them on reputation.  From what I have tried, I like:

Borneo Red
Red Morning
Bangkok Lemon
J-31
Golden Pillow

I have never tried but am excited about:

Canteloupe
Excalibur Red
Honey Gold
Lemon Gold
Leung Bang
Mai 3
Orange Crush
Red Morning
RS-22
Tangerine

Everything on my list except Black Gold and Golden Nugget are supposedly the crunchy types because those are my preference. 
George

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
Thanks Rob! Thanks George!
- Mark

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »
Hey George,

Thanks!

For someone trying to create a new variety,  nothing.  For a newbie backyard grower, just trying to fruit a jackfruit in a marginal location, I would recommend sticking to the beat chance of pollination and creating a fruit if the named variety they purchased

But the fruit would still taste the same regardless of what type of jack pollinates the flower.  Or are you just thinking it would be pollinated more fully by its own male flowers?

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2016, 11:51:21 AM »
thanks George grade A stuff!

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »
Hey George,

Thanks!

But the fruit would still taste the same regardless of what type of jack pollinates the flower.  Or are you just thinking it would be pollinated more fully by its own male flowers?

Not necessarily. There are xenic and metaxenic effects in many fruiting species, meaning that the genes of the pollen parent can have an influence on fruit development. An example familiar to some here would be annonas: pollen from different annona species can have significant effects on the size and quality of the fruit. I can't find any solid evidence whether or not thus occurs in jackfruit, but given how variable jackfruit are known to be, testing for some sort of xenic effect in jackfruit seems worthwhile in my book. http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/42/7/1534.full
Dom

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
George,

Just got the mango and jackfruit scions in. As always, they look great! Thank you for the extras!!
- Mark

dongeorgio

• zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
My pleasure Mark. 
George

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2016, 11:36:49 PM »
As always george delivers fast and throws in some extras.  Thanks for the scions!
Robert