Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620751 times)

Broman

• Yes, I'm a mango fanatic and I'm proud of it!
    • Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1175 on: July 16, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »
Hi, my name is Mike from Melbourne, Fl. and I am a MA- mango addict 😁😁. I'm a mango nut, I have three trees now and want more, lots more. I want to learn more about fruits, gardening/growing and specifically more info on my beloved mangoes. I hope to be here often and possibly contribute some knowledge. Thanks for having me!

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 20, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »
Hey there, my name is Daniel I own a small business here in SW Florida and reside on a 10 acre piece of land that has been in my family for 35 years. I decided to join the Tropical Fruit Forum now thanks to insomnia and to my love for growing trees. Last year I decided to plant a couple of mangoes and avocados. Then I couldn't stop and am now up to 13 mangos 6 avocados 5 nasberries 4 guavas 2 lychees and a Partridge in a pear tree.. errr peach tree that is, Tropic Beauty to be exact.  It's probably going to be a long time before I get any fruit and I'm really dreading winter. There are three seedling mangos already on the property that basically don't grow because they die way back every year and although they've been here for years they are pretty small and have never set fruit. I'm hoping that by planting my trees strategically they may do a little better and if we don't get too cold of a winter I may get some of my plants established enough to hopefully be able to have a little bit of success. Thanks for offering this forum  I can see that there is a wealth of knowledge planted here (pun intended) and I have already learned a lot. Hope to someday be able to add to the wisdom as my experience...  (one more pun) grows.

jetset516

• Hollywood, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Hi! my name is Darren, I live in Hollywood, Fl. I joined just today for the purpose of identifying an insect that's making a meal of my mango tree. I recently got interested in tropical fruits being we have two coco palms outside, this year I decided to start learning how to open up the actual coconut for the milk and coconut inside. I find myself looking for ripened ones on bulk pickup day...can't believe how many ppl throw out perfectly good coconuts! I also planted a few papays trees...of course it'll be a while before they bear fruit, and at that though I love the taste...papaya fruit smells BAAAAD lol! gotta read up on that another day and see if there's something I can do to know when to pick them at their least smelly.  :P  My latest project is my mango tree. My wife wants to get rid of it, and with whatever is eating the inside seemingly killing it I was on board for a bit, but I'm hoping to salvage the tree and get it growing and bearing fruit again. Mangoes are my fave!
Anyways! glad to be here and can't wait to learn some good stuff!

lal

• india kerala ottapalam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 26, 2015, 05:14:27 AM »
iam santhilal, indian, teacher, very much interest to plant fruit trees, and also like to exchange  tropical fruit seeds , , my aim is to speard  fruit seeds to the entire world and make our mother earth  evergreen, by this way  all living organisums get enough food

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 30, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
Hello,

I'm John. I work in higher education and my container grown plants are slowly taking over the balcony. Central FL. I'm interested in Fruits, delicious fruits. I'm always looking to try my hand at growing something new as well as permaculture experiments on a micro scale. Always interested in learning.
John

SoCalBob

• 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 01, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »
Hello folks, Roberto here.  Currently residing in San Diego area.  Although I live in 10A, work and friends take me inland.  I love the high desert which has it's own charm, but my wife hates the desert.  I ask her if she'll visit me. 

Originally from Argentina, spent about 10 years in Central America (Costa Rica and Honduras). 

Currently looking for some property to expand my ag interests.

See you on the forum...

Drifter

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 03, 2015, 01:09:36 AM »
I live with my wife in on a 20 acre small holding inThailand. Just signed up to this forum today, a wealth of knowledge available here!

I work offshore on a 5 week rotation and growing tropical fruits has become a passion of mine that I get much satisfaction from during my time off. Im 26 years old so planting seeds seems to be a good long term investment too.

Whilst I have had good germination rates from imported seeds from online vendors, im interested in buying/exchanging rarer seeds and obtaining the best cultivars.

Anyone out the have any biriba seeds from a heavy bearing large fruiting tree? Also wish to obtain more Keledang and other rare jackfruit varieties. I have had trouble getting granadilla seeds to germinate....I think the ones I purchase are duds, can anyone help.

I wish to make friends on here and am happy to post seeds from here in Thailand as there is so much on offer and its cheap and easy to cpme by. Cheers Calum

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #1182 on: August 04, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »
Hi, i'm Sarah, I work for an awesome fruit delivery company in Vancouver and am hoping to learn more about fruit
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1183 on: August 05, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
Hi, i'm Sarah, I work for an awesome fruit delivery company in Vancouver and am hoping to learn more about fruit

What a cool company!  Welcome.  How long has this company been in business?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:04:51 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Dernier Farms

• West Melbourne, Florida.. Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 05, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dane. I am blessed enough to get to work with plants for a living. I am a buyer and department head at Rockldege Gardens, an independent garden center located on the east coast of Florida. I decided to join the forum after Brev Grower recommended checking it out. Most of my plant knowledge is in the ornamental landscape realm but I find myself really drawn to edible plants as I learn more about them.

We recently purchased a house with almost an acre. I have a small assortment of fruit trees including Mangoes, figs and others. We are really looking forward to planting as many fruit trees and plants as we can into our yard. I am also excited to learn as much as possible from you all that have been playing with fruit trees longer.

Thanks,
Dane

Tomayquichua

• Costa Rica, Heredia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: August 10, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
Hello,

I split my time between Heredia, Costa Rica and San Francisco, California with the goal of eventually moving south. I will purchase land for fruit production in 2016 and I am here to further my education and network.

Thank you,

Carlos

fruit delivery vancouver

• Office fruit delivery
    • Vancouver
    • View Profile
    • office fruit delivery vancouver
« Reply #1186 on: August 11, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »

What a cool company!  Welcome.  How long has this company been in business?

Thank you, we have been in business for 2 years now and we supply a lot of fruit to a lot of office workers. We would really like to expand and keep it fresh. We give fruit back to society through our over stock donation scheme and our fruit-to schools scheme is helping to educate the next lot about fruit. Fruit is awesome. Its great to be amongst you and read your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:05:14 PM by HMHausman »
office fruit and snacks
www.fruitfulloffices.ca

inorick

• indonesia
    • View Profile
    • inorick.blogspot.com
« Reply #1187 on: August 13, 2015, 04:44:13 AM »
Hello,
My Name is Inorick, I am from Pontianak west borneo Indonesia. I work as IT Staff especially on Satellite Network comunication. My hobby is planting fruits like apple wax, manggo, guava and all tropical fruit. It nice to join discussion in this forum.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »
I'm Alexandre and want to join the community, I am in southeastern Brazil, creating a collection of fruit trees.
I have arabica coffee plantation, lychees, longans and mamey sapote.
I enjoy reading the posts to learn from you, here only have master !.
My English is ridiculous.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 26, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »
Hello Alexandre
welcome to the Forum and do not worry about your English skills... There are always some Portuguese speakers around and willing to help if needed.

Olá Alexandre
seja benvindo ao forum.... não se preocupe com o Inglês, há sempre por aqui uns quantos falando Português e dispostos a ajudar se for necessário.

Um abraço
Miguel.pt

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #1190 on: August 27, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
Hi,

My name is Solko, I am an artist from the Netherlands, but I live in France, and I have a small garden in Portugal ::)

I am glad to have found this forum, and am going feverishly through all the experience, knowledge and stories that are shared here. My particular interests are plant breeding and Myrtaceae. But I love anything that has to do with plants, growing and experimenting, although for me the experimenting and tasting something new for the first time is often more interesting than growing huge amounts of fruits... I intend to find and breed a Myrtaceae that can handle a climate 8 and taste good...

Here I am in my small sheperds hut in the North of Portugal:

Looking forward to share experiences.

Solko

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 27, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Hi,

My name is Solko, I am an artist from the Netherlands, but I live in France, and I have a small garden in Portugal ::)

I am glad to have found this forum, and am going feverishly through all the experience, knowledge and stories that are shared here. My particular interests are plant breeding and Myrtaceae. But I love anything that has to do with plants, growing and experimenting, although for me the experimenting and tasting something new for the first time is often more interesting than growing huge amounts of fruits... I intend to find and breed a Myrtaceae that can handle a climate 8 and taste good...

Here I am in my small sheperds hut in the North of Portugal:

Looking forward to share experiences.

Solko
Great to see more people from Portugal here! You will love this forum! Best regards, Luis.  ;D

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 02, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »
My name is youssef, from Tunisia, I have a garden with citrus, orange, mandarine, apple trees. I have recently planted mango trees and trying to grow a soursop seedling from seed (challenging but exciting).
Have a nice day

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 02, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
My name is Mike, I teach middle school science and my hobby is growing tropical fruit trees and herbs. I am Hoping to learn a lot from you all. I am really glad I found this forum. currently growing too many fruit trees to list, most are still too small to be in full production but I'm looking forward to what the future of my edible landscape holds.  ;D
Mic

Bruh

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 16, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »
Aloha, my name is Preston and I live in Hawaii. I've recently gotten into growing prickly pear/opuntia because I've been planning on getting a tortoise and they love the stuff. My tortoise plans have been put on hold for the time-being, but nevertheless, my interests in Opuntia(and other plants as well, most notably dragon fruit, pineapple, and loulu palm trees) have grown. I came across this forum during several of my googling/researching sessions and thought this would be a great place to learn and possibly acquire some rare forms of fruiting plants.

I look forward to learning from you all. Mahalo!

cfinley

• Vista, CA 10a / 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 17, 2015, 06:32:48 AM »
Hi,

I'm Chris and I'm a Computer Science student & web developer/programmer from North San Diego. I've been lurking for a while but I thought I should try to post and be more involved. I started my garden in 2013 with just (black|rasp|blue|straw)berries, tomatoes and peppers, but then I found out about California Rare Fruit Growers and I've been steadily collecting more species of subtropicals and other rare fruits. I'm also intrigued by fruits that are the wrong color, ie pink blueberries, white strawberries, yellow raspberries, etc.

This is the view from my patio door looking towards the corner

And a view looking from the corner back at the door

Unfortunately I'm renting so everything has to go into pots for now, especially since the side yard is entirely paved (used to be a swimming pool). I'm very envious of all you who own land, hopefully I can find at least a half acre in the next year or two. Some of these trees are starting to get big and its already pretty crowded as is. I've also acquired a bit of an addiction to seed starting, thankfully the wife has been pretty accommodating so far.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:02 AM »
I know the addiction with seedlings, it happens, I had to give away a bunch of stuff because I ran out of room lol.

viprat

• Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 19, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
Hi.
Rene from Puerto Rico
I live in an Urban Area and have over 35 fruit trees planted in containers.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1198 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »
Hi.
Rene from Puerto Rico
I live in an Urban Area and have over 35 fruit trees planted in containers.

very cool, welcome to the forum,

you should consider growing Starcherry, aka pitangatuba (Eugenia selloi) and Red Jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora hybrid)

here is a video showing pitangatuba
http://youtu.be/sgZX9T_vmsg

there is a nice red jaboticaba at the end of this video, at 3min 01sec
http://youtu.be/PaFH9SvXMdI
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:20:37 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Acocyetly

• Tampa-ish FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 22, 2015, 05:42:05 PM »
Hi I'm Acocyetly, its an ancestoral name... I am a thesis candidate in graduate school for Architecture atm.

I live in West Central Florida, growing all kinds of things such as Passion Fruit, Loquats, Avacados, Peruvian Apples, Tomatoes, several other rare tropical plants (not all fruiting). We used to have a very awesome diverse citrus grove. Freezes, canker and the hurricanes got us pretty good. I'm not sure whats left but there is some citrus growing wild... I presume either the rootstock or something unfortunately some of these have canker so more removal. But I hope to replenish the the grove to what I can.

the grove in the 70s
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:44:45 PM by Acocyetly »