Author Topic: Is it too late to plant a new mango tree in ground?  (Read 1201 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Is it too late to plant a new mango tree in ground?
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:38:50 PM »
I have been doing a season long tasting with as many varieties of mangos as I can get thanks to Tropical Acres Farms which I will post the results of my tastings at a later date. Spoiler alert. They are incredible! Mango heaven. Anyway... I have decided to plant a Duncan for now maybe another later. If I get a tree in ground this month am I making a mistake? Is it too late? Would the tree be healthier if I waited until spring? Zone 9b space coast FL and the plan would be a largeish tree if I can find one somewhere. Thanks!

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
Re: Is it too late to plant a new mango tree in ground?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:39 PM »
Plant it

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
Plant it now. Mango trees lay down a lot of root growth over the fall, so planting now sets it up really well for next year's growing season.

PS -- Duncan is a good choice. It's an awesome mango -- both the tree and the fruit.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:55:11 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
Speaking of Duncan's...Do Florida grown Duncans have an astringent taste near the skin like the ones I tasted which were grown in CA?
Have we been picking these at the wrong time?
Warren

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »
Speaking of Duncan's...Do Florida grown Duncans have an astringent taste near the skin like the ones I tasted which were grown in CA?

All Duncans have the taste. Most people seem to like it though.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:19 PM »

All Duncans have the taste. Most people seem to like it though.

Duncan tends to have a split season.  That taste characteristic is usually more pronounced in the early crop.
- Rob

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
Plant it

Plant it now. Mango trees lay down a lot of root growth over the fall, so planting now sets it up really well for next year's growing season.

PS -- Duncan is a good choice. It's an awesome mango -- both the tree and the fruit.

Thanks! I will get one on my way home from work next week and get it in the ground. I’m very excited about this one. As I said earlier I have been trying a lot of different mangos this year and combining that with their growth habits I think this one is a great choice.

I have had about a dozen Duncans this year. While they all have some of that flavor it is more pronounced in some fruit vs others. I notice it less as ripeness increases. To be honest it is nothing more than a minor annoyance. I eat the fruit out of the skin and leave behind most of the fruit that has that flavor but it is only a small part of the fruit to me.