Author Topic: Clove tree flowering  (Read 3394 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Clove tree flowering
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:55:29 PM »
My 3 year old clove tree is flowering, Ive heard that they take 6-12 years to flower in the tropics. I was pretty surprised

aroideana

• Tropical north Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Clove tree flowering
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 12:03:26 AM »
Mine has been planted out for about 3 years . It is now 2m easy . Foliage looks a little different to yours .
Leaves do smell strongly of cloves and flush red with new foliage . Fingers crossed for flowering this spring .

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:35:26 AM »
These clove flowers look different than what ive seen in pictures, is there different variations of the same or is it a false clove?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:05:14 AM »
Those don't look like clove flowers. Here is what mine look like:

Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »
Thats what i was comparing them too, I bought a seedling from 7Heads on ebay so im curious now if it is a true clove. Do the leaves look like a clove at least? Either way i'll buy some seeds from you the next time their available to insure.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »
I bought a Syzygium aromaticum from patioplants.com and they sent me some unknown tree. I had to email them back and forth about 4 times with pictures and descriptions of the real clove plant before I was able to get a refund. The last thing I received from them was an email stating

"Thathe holidays while we planted them.nk you for your input, we have issued you a full refund for the order and do not require the return of the Clove tree.

So you know - I was one of the team members that planted the seeds of those and they were indeed clove seeds. Smelled like the holidays while we were planting them.

Please enjoy the tree on us. :)"

I was happy to return the "clove tree" since the last thing I need is some unknown tree in the hoard. They acted like they were doing me a favor wasting my time. They took down their listing shortly thereafter so I never made a stink about it.

Here is a picture of my $73.77 "Syzygium aromaticum"

They told me they had 100+ in stock and they got seeds from their 10+ year supplier. It isn't even close.
-Josh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »
Those don't look like clove flowers. Here is what mine look like:

Hey Oscar, when does yours fruit? I would like to get seed but I know they don't store well at all. It sure seems like there are a lot of "clove'' plants around.
-Josh

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
Yea it happens but this is from Jeffrey (7heads) on the forum so im sure he knows what a clove tree is, im wondering if its just another tree called clove.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »
Thats what i was comparing them too, I bought a seedling from 7Heads on ebay so im curious now if it is a true clove. Do the leaves look like a clove at least? Either way i'll buy some seeds from you the next time their available to insure.
The leaves do indeed look similar. But the flower is so different, i can't see how that would be clove? But don't know what it is.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 06:25:43 PM »
I bought a Syzygium aromaticum from patioplants.com and they sent me some unknown tree. I had to email them back and forth about 4 times with pictures and descriptions of the real clove plant before I was able to get a refund. The last thing I received from them was an email stating

"Thathe holidays while we planted them.nk you for your input, we have issued you a full refund for the order and do not require the return of the Clove tree.

So you know - I was one of the team members that planted the seeds of those and they were indeed clove seeds. Smelled like the holidays while we were planting them.

Please enjoy the tree on us. :)"

I was happy to return the "clove tree" since the last thing I need is some unknown tree in the hoard. They acted like they were doing me a favor wasting my time. They took down their listing shortly thereafter so I never made a stink about it.

Here is a picture of my $73.77 "Syzygium aromaticum"

They told me they had 100+ in stock and they got seeds from their 10+ year supplier. It isn't even close.
Not even remotely similar. Perhaps that is an abiu seedling?
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
Yea it happens but this is from Jeffrey (7heads) on the forum so im sure he knows what a clove tree is, im wondering if its just another tree called clove.
As far as i know, there is only one plant called clove.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
Usually my clove tree fruits around Xmas time. It got damaged by a tropical storm and did not flower last Xmas. Perhaps this year, seems to be recooperating well even though tree was snapped in half.  :'(
Oscar