Author Topic: Yellow pulusan  (Read 1752 times)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Yellow pulusan
« on: September 02, 2020, 06:38:43 PM »
We had never seen a pulusan look like this. The quality is quite good, a consumer offered to pay twice the normal price after trying it.
What’s even more interesting is that it comes from a tree growing along the roadside in front of a friends house who had no idea what it was until it produced. Pulusan was introduced to this area in the mid 80’s but there have only been red fruit until this seedling showed up with its nice fruit.
My son plans to put air layers on it once the harvest is done.
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow pulusan
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 11:12:18 PM »
They look awsome mate, do you find pulasan prefer part shade or full sun in your area? Also do you find them tolerant of flooding and wet feet?

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 12:11:53 AM »
We had never seen a pulusan look like this. The quality is quite good, a consumer offered to pay twice the normal price after trying it.
What’s even more interesting is that it comes from a tree growing along the roadside in front of a friends house who had no idea what it was until it produced. Pulusan was introduced to this area in the mid 80’s but there have only been red fruit until this seedling showed up with its nice fruit.
My son plans to put air layers on it once the harvest is done.
Peter

Amazing find peter! I had never heard of yellow pulasan before. You quite possibly have found out a new variety which would be amazing. You should propagate those pulasan peter they could be worth gold! If you decide to do so please let me know id be interested in bringing them to Honduras, salutes👍

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 01:10:53 AM »
I remember 8 varieties being grown at the now defunct Kamerunga Research Station with red, maroon, green and black but don't recall a yellow. It doesn't look like that other philipine pretender either. What is the flesh thickness like?

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 03:16:09 AM »
I remember 8 varieties being grown at the now defunct Kamerunga Research Station with red, maroon, green and black but don't recall a yellow. It doesn't look like that other philipine pretender either. What is the flesh thickness like?

I really like pulasan, so this for me is really exciting. With the info you just gave mike, we might be seeing a new variety or even subspecies. Would like to know if anyone else has ever seen a yellow pulasan. Like i said before peter might have struck pulasan gold!!

,William

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 03:48:10 AM »

I really like pulasan, so this for me is really exciting. With the info you just gave mike, we might be seeing a new variety or even subspecies. Would like to know if anyone else has ever seen a yellow pulasan. Like i said before peter might have struck pulasan gold!!

,William

Yes i have seen them, i think it was MAryoto who sold these seeds...or it was one of the other guys from Indonesia/Malaysia.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 04:21:47 AM »
 Dow, Lee, P1, P3, P36 and unnamed ones were in that selection at Kamerunga. Lee is a big green one that can be a little yellow I think but not like that in the pic and bigger also.Sibabat was the star of the show and I know some lines have bigger fruit. The similarity of some of the blacks especially early in ripening makes me think they are just variations of sibabat also. I saw an unuasual red one at Alan Carle's place but the yellow is an eye catcher.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 12:14:04 PM »

Here’s a photo that shows a cross section of the pulp.
I thought that probably someone would have seen this somewhere, but it must be very rare. We’re talking about whether this should be planted out by seed to pursue an avenue toward more diversity in this variety.
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
It looks like you've found a really interesting pulasan, Peter.  The color sure is unique.  Sounds like the flavor is really nice, is the fruit freestone or clingstone (or something in between)? 

John

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 01:05:51 PM »
Hi John,  the fruit is not really free stone which seems kind of typical with pulusan compared to freestone rambutan.  The flavor is good.
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »
Hi John,  the fruit is not really free stone which seems kind of typical with pulusan compared to freestone rambutan.  The flavor is good.
Peter
No, freestone pulasan seems to be more uncommon.  We had a tasting of some superior dark red/maroon/black pulasan here at the USDA in Hilo a few years back.  I believe there were maybe 4 different selections, all were big with great flavor and most were freestone or nearly so.  The director at the time was considering releasing some of these to cultivation but he is gone and evidently so is the planned release(?).

Sounds like your yellow is a winner regardless.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 01:39:10 AM »
Peter
No, freestone pulasan seems to be more uncommon.  We had a tasting of some superior dark red/maroon/black pulasan here at the USDA in Hilo a few years back.  I believe there were maybe 4 different selections, all were big with great flavor and most were freestone or nearly so.  The director at the time was considering releasing some of these to cultivation but he is gone and evidently so is the planned release(?).

John is correct. Most wild pulasans have very clingy pulp and are not considered very valuable because of that. I don't think yellow pulasan is so rare in it's native Borneo. You can see here one vandor Han Sen has sold it in the past. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=30929.msg344607#msg344607
What would be really rare and valuable is a yellow pulasan with cling free pulp.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 03:03:22 AM »
I have calmed down now after initially seeing the yellow. Flesh thickness/seed size, flavour and 'freestoneness' are what to look for as well as gross fruit size of course.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 04:39:02 AM »
Peter

John is correct. Most wild pulasans have very clingy pulp and are not considered very valuable because of that. I don't think yellow pulasan is so rare in it's native Borneo. You can see here one vandor Han Sen has sold it in the past. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=30929.msg344607#msg344607
What would be really rare and valuable is a yellow pulasan with cling free pulp.

They definitely are rare even  in Borneo. I’ve been twice and never seen them.  Han sen sells plenty of stuff you won’t find at most markets, he is in sibu which is known to have the largest selection of fruits, more so than any other market in Borneo.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
We’re going to plant out a batch of seeds, see what we get.
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 05:36:38 PM »
Very cool , Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 06:07:14 PM »
Yellow is a nice colour alright but details of the fruit's characteristics so its quality can be compared to others would be great.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 07:18:37 PM »
Our buddy Juan in PR had a seedling pulasan that was not free stone.  However, you did not care because it was so darn good.  Probably best pulasan any of us have tasted.  Regardless of color, this fruit should be cultivated more.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 03:27:15 AM »
We’re going to plant out a batch of seeds, see what we get.
Peter

I think that's a really good idea. You can select and grow the best ones. You might even get a freestone yellow.
Oscar

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 12:20:57 AM »
Our buddy Juan in PR had a seedling pulasan that was not free stone.  However, you did not care because it was so darn good.  Probably best pulasan any of us have tasted.  Regardless of color, this fruit should be cultivated more.

They also eat the stone, tastes like an almond..