Author Topic: Red Ceylon-- a Peach for the Tropics  (Read 7099 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Red Ceylon-- a Peach for the Tropics
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:16:37 AM »
This is a type of peach that needs no chill, as evidenced by the fact that it fruits here, and apparently doesn't decline, as there are old trees here. But they are quite rare. I was surprised to find these fruits in a fruit stand in Kona. They were much better than the ones i had one previous time...really quite good. They have a unique pointed shape. Only down side is they are a bit on the small side.

Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Red Ceylon-- a Peach for the Tropics
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 01:20:00 AM »
Impressive.

There's some extremely good Australian peach varieties that do well in the subtropics and lower tropics. They are much larger and well formed than the ones you've posted, but have a similar color and are indeed white fleshed.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:25:24 AM »
Impressive.

There's some extremely good Australian peach varieties that do well in the subtropics and lower tropics. They are much larger and well formed than the ones you've posted, but have a similar color and are indeed white fleshed.

All the sub tropical peach types i previously tried from Florida: Floridaprince, Tropic Snow, and a few others, all declined and never made one fruit. Haven't tried growing Red Ceylon yet.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:12 AM »
Flordaprince dies here but just once in a while one survives and fruits. I was surprised to see a good sized tree a couple of times fruiting with 0 chill hours.They are commonly for sale here through national chain hardware and department stores as is tropic snow and I figure that get planted all the time.
This red Ceylon might be something more reliable.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »
Nice find, Oscar.  Are they growing these at sea level or still at some altitude?

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:19:32 AM »
Nice find, Oscar.  Are they growing these at sea level or still at some altitude?

John

The trees i've seen were at around 1000 ft. elevation. But wouldn't be surprised if there are others much lower.
BTW, Julia Morton has a section in her book about Red Ceylon peach:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/red_ceylon_peach.html
Oscar

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »
I am amazed at how good it sounds from Morton.  I wonder how true it comes from seed? (Morton mentions propagation by seed)  Did you find these recently?

John

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:30:18 AM »

Nice picture.  Now that I think of it, there was a peach growing at the Kampong that I believe they were calling Red Ceylon Peach.  I would have last seen it in the mid-1990's.  I don't know how old it was when I encountered it, but I remember it having more of a bush-like growth habit rather than a tree-like habit.  Does anyone have any present contact with Larry Schockman.  He would probably know.  Wait...is he even still affiliated with the Kampong??
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:43:09 AM »
Honestly why bother with small so-so tropical peaches when you can grow outstanding tropical fruit? If I feel for a good peach I go out and get one that's been grown in Georgia or California.

If you can buy better then you can grow yourself why waste yard space and time on it...? Better to devote yard space and effort to something truly worthwhile.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
I am amazed at how good it sounds from Morton.  I wonder how true it comes from seed? (Morton mentions propagation by seed)  Did you find these recently?

John

Last week. But i've seen them in Kona before years ago.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
Honestly why bother with small so-so tropical peaches when you can grow outstanding tropical fruit? If I feel for a good peach I go out and get one that's been grown in Georgia or California.

If you can buy better then you can grow yourself why waste yard space and time on it...? Better to devote yard space and effort to something truly worthwhile.   

Good question.
1) they weren't really so so. They were actually quite good.
2) you may have access to good Georgia or California peaches, but we don't. The stuff imported here, mostly from California, is usually pretty bad quality.
3) isn't this hobby all about pushing the limits of what you can grow? Why grow mangoes in Canada when you can probably buy better mangoes from Mexico in your supermarket? For us here in the tropics the real challenge is growing temperate fruits, not tropicals.
Oscar

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
Further to Oscar's comments, according to Morton: "In fact, one becomes so
partial to this peach that the ordinary commercial
peaches, though far more beautiful, seem somewhat
rubbery and much less flavorful by comparison."

So I can buy crappy mainland peaches at the store, try to find a peachy mango that can tolerate anthracnose, or maybe I could try growing this funny looking little peach that is supposed to have superior flavor.  Sounds like a no brainer if I like peaches.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 05:55:39 PM »
So Oscar - a definite sweet peachy flavor?  I like the cling free aspect.
My Florida Prince, though categorized as Semi-Cling, clings like the devil
when i bite into it!!!!!

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »
So Oscar - a definite sweet peachy flavor?  I like the cling free aspect.
My Florida Prince, though categorized as Semi-Cling, clings like the devil
when i bite into it!!!!!

Gary

The Red Ceylons i just ate had an intensely strong peach flavor, and quite juicy. Not as good as a big ole Georgia peach, but still respectable. Main seller though is Red Ceylon is rated 50 hours chill versus the Flordiaprince rated 150 hours chill needed. Floridaprince flunked out for me here. Red Ceylon obviously will fruit with zero chill hours.
I think main problem growing the Red Ceylons here will be the usual: fruitfly. They will need to be bagged.
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 03:41:20 AM »
Where do you buy this variety of peach in hawaii?   Some relatives from Georgia just moved to washi away and may appreciate some reminders of home growing in their yard!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 03:46:25 AM »
Where do you buy this variety of peach in hawaii?   Some relatives from Georgia just moved to washi away and may appreciate some reminders of home growing in their yard!

Not available.
Oscar

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 11:01:29 AM »
Nectarines have a similar flavor with a skin tougher than the peach.   Never had trouble with the worms I had with peaches. 

There is a major peach orchard in Kathleen, near Lakeland.  They have acres of producing trees and are still planting.  So someone has gotten peaches figured out here. 

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

Not available.

too bad. they'll just have to get used to eating only mangoes and lychees.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk