Author Topic: Review of Tropical Acres Farms & Squam256  (Read 5966 times)

mike8023

• FL 10
    • View Profile
Review of Tropical Acres Farms & Squam256
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:07:56 PM »
I have been a long time lurker on this forum though I rarely post.  This forum has been helpful to me many times with the few random posts I have done. I do feel compelled in this case to write about my experiences with Tropical Acres Farms. I travel constantly for extended periods of time for work and have been meaning to try Tropical Acres Farms for a couple of years, but always went back to my known spots out of habit.  I recently remembered, thanks to a posting on the forum (Titled: Mango and Lychee Fruit for Sale in the Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell, and Trade Section), Tropical Acres and made my way to his stand by Southern and I-95.  I must admit without seeking it out I never would have found this gem behind Dreher Park.  I was surprised to find an old grove and new plantings in such an unassuming location.  The variety was apparent as soon as I began poking around the offerings laid about on the tables, easily 15 cultivars though likely more.  The varieties were all clearly marked and pricing was reasonable.  I ended up walking away with some Lemon Zest, Venus, Mahachanok, Sweet Tart, and a few Pickerings for good measure.  I had never been fortunate enough to try Venus before that day and was not disappointed.  I have returned twice since that first visit and I am looking forward to trying some more Venus' and seeing how it stacks up after eating a few more examples.

For me the most impressive aspect of the whole experience was the owner/operator himself, Alex (Squam256).  I was able to sit back unannounced while observing his dealings with some other patrons who mentioned they had heard of him through craigslist, but were obviously not very familiar with the “mango game” here in South Florida.  What took me aback was the patience and kindness with which Alex answered their questions.  Though not always the case, often I have borne witness to a snobby attitude and ridicule shown towards newcomers to the bounty of mango varieties available here in South Florida.  This was not the case with Alex, he answered all their questions and approached these people with respect even when the questions they asked bordered on the ridiculous or asinine. These particular people had not even bought or picked out any mangos yet, and still Alex took the time to give them a quick education on flavor profiles without sounding demeaning or giving one of those long winded pompous answers.  This is important to me, as there was once a time I did not know about flavor profiles, the Zill varieties, or South Asian vs. Indian, etc., and interesting people in our hobby without scaring them off is a good thing.  For myself I was able to discuss with Alex some of the unique growing conditions found at his second property in the Loxahatchee area as this is where I am growing.  He was also more than willing to share with me his horticultural practices and some of his lessons learned, both good and bad.

Finding people like Alex who are willing to take a little time to educate and explain is invaluable to hobbyists like myself, though addict may be a more accurate description, and people like Alex who are approachable will continue to expand this hobby.  I would encourage anyone to call and order (as he does ship) or go by and purchase mangos from Tropical Acres.  Whether you would consider yourself a relative newbie or more seasoned in your experience with mangos Alex is more than willing to help and answer any questions.  If you don’t have questions and don’t feel like talking fruit, though obviously we all do as we are on this forum for a reason, he has a quality product with all the old favorites and lots of the new Zill varieties. Yeah this post seems like a shameless plug,  and it is to a degree, however, I feel it important to pass along such a positive experience from a local, small grower and purveyor of a fine product as seeing people like him succeed benefits us all.  I certainly will not be abandoning my other haunts, but I have definitely added a new one to the list especially considering he is open until 6 pm during the week for those who have to work (though as I learned through personal experience sometimes a little later if you call ahead).  I would encourage all to contact Alex or go by and check it out for yourself as I feel you will not be disappointed in him or his selections.  I had zero interactions with Alex before that day, but I feel confident based on my experiences and observations in saying you can contact him through the forum, by phone, or email and he will be more than accommodating, not to mention your belly will thank you.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Review of Tropical Acres Farms & Squam256
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
This sure sounds like shameless plug.  Having never been myself to the properties mentioned, I cannot comment on them, but I have heard nothing but glowing reports from those that have visited.  Now,  Alex....Squam.......I have had the pleasure to meet him and to have him to my house on several occasions.  No reason to have any shame by plugging his positive attitude and dedication to the mango world, because everything you have said about him is absolutely true and consistently so from my personal experience and based upon those I have encountered that have dealt with him.  Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences.  We should all take time out and report positive things that we encounter in our day to day lives.  Much too much time is spent in negative mode and reporting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
I got a box a fruit today!

I was thoroughly impressed!!

my first tasting of mangoes this season started off with a bang!  Lemon Zest blew my mind!

waiting for sweet tart to ripen...

shredded through a delicious pickering!

now Squam (Tropical Acres Farms) has a new customer for life!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
Not only is Alex a prince among men, he is a gentleman and and a scholar.  8) My sister and her husband just bought a condo in Delay Beach. About four months ago I was visiting and suggested a visit to Tropical Acres to see what a real mango grove looks like with 50ft tall Edward mango trees. Alex was nice enough to show us around during the mango "off season" with ten thousand little one and two inch young mangoes hanging from the trees. There are 10-20 of these very tall Edward mango trees. If I got Alex right these might be pruned back to a more manageable height with their newly acquired cherry picker. So see them now!
They also have a very very wide variety of other mangoes planted. Younger trees, with a lot of the new Zill varieties such as Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart.

Alex also posted all or most of the wikipedia entries you see for mango varieties such as this one>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haden_%28mango%29
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:44:45 PM by zands »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
Great to hear all the positives and I agree with Harry that more of this is needed.
I have talked to Alex a couple of times but have been too cheap to bite the bullet and put an order in. I may finally do it next week when I get back home.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »
I asked Squam to mail me a box of elitist mangoes. He can't be such a nice guy! For he said he can't ship to Hawaii.  :'(  :'( I don't know why because we have every single pest and disease known to mango already! Guess i'll have to go to Florida some day to taste all the Florida snobby mango cultivars? I really want to try Fruit Punch and Guava Mango, along with so many others! You folks are really living in mango heaven there! Lucky dogs!!!
Oscar

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone  :). They're genuinely appreciated. And thanks for the plug Mike  ;D I've been meeting more forum members each year, this year more than any other. Its been really great and I'm thankful for the opportunity and exposure this forum has provided for me.

I asked Squam to mail me a box of elitist mangoes. He can't be such a nice guy! For he said he can't ship to Hawaii.  :'(  :'( I don't know why because we have every single pest and disease known to mango already! Guess i'll have to go to Florida some day to taste all the Florida snobby mango cultivars? I really want to try Fruit Punch and Guava Mango, along with so many others! You folks are really living in mango heaven there! Lucky dogs!!!

Oscar, I wish I could ship to Hawaii but unfortunately I'm not allowed to. Though I haven't received too many requests to ship there. California and Arizona on the other hand.. :-[ On the flip side I've added a number of Hawaiian mango cvs to my collection

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 01:36:16 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone  :). They're genuinely appreciated. And thanks for the plug Mike  ;D I've been meeting more forum members each year, this year more than any other. Its been really great and I'm thankful for the opportunity and exposure this forum has provided for me.

Oscar, I wish I could ship to Hawaii but unfortunately I'm not allowed to. Though I haven't received too many requests to ship there. California and Arizona on the other hand.. :-[ On the flip side I've added a number of Hawaiian mango cvs to my collection

I was just teazin. Don't take me seriously. Have to deal with ag regulations myself all the time, so i know how that goes. I'm glad you're adding Hawaiian cultivars. Which ones do you have? I can send you scion wood if you ever want to add more?
Oscar

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »
Alex is a class act. For such a young guy, he has accomplished alot. One day he will have THE mango collection.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
Yep... his crop gets better every year, and I think it will continue to do so in a big way. Lots of young trees are up and coming at the Dreher Park location.

He has a number of interesting cultivars I have not personally seen for sale anywhere else, stuff like: Francis Hargrave, Mulgoba, Dot, Fairchild, Emerald, Simmonds, Graham, Bombay

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
so stoked to receive my first box. if i lived close to his farm i would surely be a regular

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 08:20:47 PM »
I visited Squam for the first time this year and very early in the season - end of April.  Great experience and I will be there again in a few weeks. 

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 08:38:33 AM »
My girlfriend and I were first time visitors this year as well.   

Alex went out of his way to take care of us also.  Don't recommend doing this to him on purpose however. 

He shared a Lemon Zest with us for our first taste and it was very good indeed.  We also picked up a Maha Chanok that I thought was even better.   Have both types in the ground, now I know the taste and happy that I have them.  Big thanks for that.   

We bought Edwards that were wonderful and Duncan's.  The Duncan originated on the Property with the fruit stand, so it was even better buying them there.   The Edwards are known for their taste and they didn't  disappoint   The Duncans are pretty good on their own.   Walking among the big trees was an experience  but seeing the new types being planted is great also.   Great to see the respect for the history of the Florida mango forefathers while planting the next pages in the history book. 

Alex was up on the Cherry Picker taking on a loaded Irwin tree full of color, when we left.  He is a one man operation. Try not to waste as much of his time as we did. 

When we got home, the Pickering had "wait until very ripe" printed on it.  We did and got a great tasting mango with coconut flavors mixed in.   When you buy from someone that knows his product, it is much easier to find what you enjoy. 

We hope to go back asap.   Still quite a few flavors to try. 

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
Stopped by Alex's grove this past Wednesday.  Pulled up to the closed gate at 2:30 and called the number for the business and Alex said he doesn't open til 3:00 but he came anyway and let me in early.  Very nice of Alex to do that.  Took a stroll around the property while Alex prepared the fruit stand and was amazed at the huge Edward trees that towered into the air.  It was cool to also see the little newly planted trees and some already with fruit on them.  Well, decided to get some mangoes and decided on some Edward, Venus, and one Lemon Zest. 

I haven't seen a lot on the forum lately about Edward but what a fantastic tasting mango it is.  Definitely top tier for me!  Venus is a large round mango with purty colors to it and the inside sure was purty too.  Very good flavor with some of the bites candy like in taste.  Also another top tier mango for me.  Now just waiting for the LZ to ripen up. 

What a great grove Alex has, he's a lucky man to pursue his passion!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »
my buddy stopped by Tropical Acres Farms today and picked me up a nice variety of mangoes.

the fruits I ate were on another level, noticeably superior to the FL grown varieties I normally find for sale (Keitt, Kent, Tommy Atkins, Haden)...the diversity of flavors was astounding!

if there's anyone (in the states where Alex can ship) who hasn't tasted a good mango, and but wants to...you need to order a box of fruit from Tropical Acres ASAP...I'm going to recommend them to everyone I know.

I'll probably keep posting every time I get a box...I'd like to get at least one or two a month until there are no more fruit....(I wonder when the season winds down? and when the last call for mangoes is??)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
I'm about halfway through my 3rd installment from Tropical Acres Farm.

I got a box of all poly-embryonic mangoes (so i can ship the seeds to a friend afterwards)

I ate a mango called "cac" ?  I cut it open a bit early, but I was very impressed by the flavor!  even when eaten early!!  very light colored flesh, totally fiberless.

there were a few small sweet tart and lemon zest fruits that were excellent...

Wester was quite good, (but nothing out of the ordinary, just a good old fashioned mango).

waiting on a monster fruit called "Kiew Yai" to ripen...probably one of the largest mangoes I've seen (or longest at least)....could use this thing as a billy club for mango thieves!

also waiting on Mekong and Simmonds!

I'm ordering again, and again!

the fruit seller, who gets' people hooked on fruit, is buying fruit from another fruit seller who does the same thing!!

Crazy world!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 10:42:05 PM »
I bought 3 or 4 boxes from Alex this year. Great packaging and great mangoes. Really nice to be able get a lot of these newer varieties shipped.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
Adam - Kiew Yai is best eaten green.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:08 PM »
Adam - Kiew Yai is best eaten green.
Thank you for the advice!

Is there a thread about which mangoes should (or can) be eaten early??

Should I cut into now? While still green and firm?  Or wait a little longer??
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:47:31 AM »
Without seeing it but  knowing Alex's expertise, it is probably ready to cut now.  There are a number of ways to eat the mango green:

- plain
- sprinkled with salt
- sprinkled with hot chili piwder and salt
- dipped in a fresh hot chili salt mixture (Vietnamese )
- dipped/tossed in  fish sauce and sugar mixture (Vietnamese)
- Thai green mango saled

I am sure by googling there are other possibilities.

I think you are right, a thread on mangoes that can be eaten green and ways to eat them green would be a good idea.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk