Author Topic: Durian smell  (Read 1362 times)

cookiesnm1lk

• Florida
    • View Profile
Durian smell
« on: October 24, 2020, 06:41:48 AM »
(not sure if it's a tropical fruit. so sorry. :(
i'm just wondering if a durian only smells AFTER you cut into it. or if the smell is present always. also does it disappear if you cook it?

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Durian smell
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »
If you walk by a grocery store in the Philippines, you can tell if they carry durian by the aroma. It does smell before you cut into it, just not as strong. They typically discourage durian on public transportation due to the offensive smell. But it sure does taste amazing if you can keep an open mind, and possibly give it a few chances!:)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 05:01:03 PM »
My garage has a ripening durian and the funky smell is strong. The smell is in the skin and is very alluring for gibbons and orang utans. Sounds like a trick question with cooking and not sure if its tropical thrown in. The aroma lets you know when its ripe. The scent is variously described as a combination of sewer water, vanilla, blue cheese and rancid onions.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 08:23:33 PM »
Durian also smells after it's peeled and packed. But most of the smell is in the skin so after peeling it's a lot less.

If you keep peeled durian in plastic in the fridge you can't miss the smell. But don't worry, you'll get used to it and might even start to like the smell.

cookiesnm1lk

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Durian also smells after it's peeled and packed. But most of the smell is in the skin so after peeling it's a lot less.

If you keep peeled durian in plastic in the fridge you can't miss the smell. But don't worry, you'll get used to it and might even start to like the smell.
soooooo, when i cut the thing open, i should do it outside?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 11:42:32 PM »
Yes outside of your neighbourhood. Just kidding and the skins will be aromatic for a few days and as Sunny pointed out the flesh in the fridge will also be aromatic. Milk seeds to take on the bouquet of durian very well and it gives a bit more body to your coffee.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »

Are you sure it’s a durian that you have?

I don’t think many people cook durian. It’s mostly eaten fresh.

I’ve seen a few people mix up jackfruit and durian. Jackfruit is sometimes cooked.

I once left a ripe durian in my car overnight. The smell lingered for more than a week.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »

Are you sure it’s a durian that you have?

I don’t think many people cook durian. It’s mostly eaten fresh.

I’ve seen a few people mix up jackfruit and durian. Jackfruit is sometimes cooked.

I once left a ripe durian in my car overnight. The smell lingered for more than a week.

For Seinfeld fans, this is reminiscent of the valet body odor episode.
- Rob

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 09:35:22 AM »
Once i bought 5 different packages of peeled durian in Singapore, i had all the best varieties and wanted to bring it in the plane to Bangkok.
The durian was packed very well, 5 layers of plastic around it against the smell.

All went well untill it had to go through the scanner before boarding. The officers smelled it already when i put my luggage on the belt, they looked at the x-ray screen and asked me if i had durian...there was no way denying it, i could also smell it myself...so they confiscated my durian worth 100 us$.

During durian season the Thai markets are loaded with durian, huge piles of them and the vendors have very long queue's of customers...the smell was ultra strong, you can smell that from far far away but that's fine...we love durian in Thailand.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 05:21:25 AM »
i'm just wondering if a durian only smells AFTER you cut into it. or if the smell is present always.

Durian smells once it has ripened. There is no smell before it is ripe. The smell doesn't depend on cutting the fruit. There are some special types of durians that have little or no smell.

also does it disappear if you cook it?

Durian is eaten raw out of hand usually. Unripe durian is cooked to make some products, like durian chips, and those have no smell.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 05:29:38 AM »
Looming ripening coincides with an increase in aroma whether cut or the fruit drops. A durian cut off will ripen faster and still begin to smell at least 5 or 6 days before being ripe usually.Under developed one that drop off early can even be pungent. You don't need to cut into it for the aroma to begin or be at full 'blast'. Laplaes have mild aroma and so do some chanthaburi lines (as well as being thornless). Chips are made from ones still crunchy and a week or two before ripe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk