Author Topic: Galbanum / Ferula gummosa (synonym F. galbaniflua) seeds wanted  (Read 2100 times)

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
I understand that Galbanum grows in regions of Russia and the Mid East, where it is sometimes sold as a condiment.

Someone told me that, in his country, 100 seeds could cost 1USD. Then, he just went away, without completing the trade.

I am growing Myrrh and have Frankincense, on the way, to barter.  I can cover expenses plus shipping, and a little something, for your trouble, if you're able to locate this evasive seed. Thanks very much.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Galbanum / Ferula gummosa (synonym F. galbaniflua) seeds wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
Which species of Frankincense do you have?
Is it B. sacra, or B. carterii, or are you not sure?

You can order galbanum essential oil online. It's used (in very small amounts) in perfumery. It smells very intense and "green", although I don't particularly care for it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:17:46 PM by SoCal2warm »

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Galbanum / Ferula gummosa (synonym F. galbaniflua) seeds wanted
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »
I am open to another opinion, if anyone can show me where I am wrong, but I believe that several, different Boswellias fall under the name, sacra, implying that they are used for Frankincense.

I am expecting a plant, identified as carterii.

I am interested in actually growing and collecting the Biblical plants, one of which is galbanum.

In part, some of the difficulty in finding seeds comes from it being wildcrafted, rather than farmed, formally.