Author Topic: Meyer lemon and Persian lime; advice needed.  (Read 1212 times)

Kmfjc

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
Meyer lemon and Persian lime; advice needed.
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:26:51 PM »
I live in Houston Texas where currently it’s always above 90 degrees in the summer. The leaves are changing to yellow and some leaves are curling upward and I haven’t had any new growth since about May after transplanting to the ground and fertilizing. I am currently new to growing citrus trees. Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer lemon and Persian lime; advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
How did you plant? How and when do you water
 Fertilize? Give me a little more info. Lot of citrus put in the ground in Summer suffer some transplant shock. Dependent upon care it can be severe.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 09:03:54 PM »
Although your tree does not look fabulous, it also does not look all that bad either.  It is definitely showing a fertilizer deficiency, especially nitrogen.  When a tree it greatly deficient in nitrogen the leaves will be totally yellow with no variation of color, or yellow/orange veins with some green out on the far sides.  When the deficiency is less severe, as what your tree is showing,  Less severe shows up on older leaves with newer leaves still retaining some green. Your tree is currently showing a medium nitrogen severity.  At temperatures above 95-F growth stops in citrus trees. This is the time of year nearing the time to stop fertilizing.  I would suggest you first foliar spray the foliage with a nitrogen solution such as low biuret urea, or a fertilizer with a higher nitrogen content.  You might also apply a light fertilizer to the roots.  Do what you want, but for this tree I would not apply a organic fertilizer due to the trees immediate needs.

Kmfjc

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 10:54:10 PM »
How did you plant? How and when do you water
 Fertilize? Give me a little more info. Lot of citrus put in the ground in Summer suffer some transplant shock. Dependent upon care it can be severe.

I planted in April applied fertilizer  at the time of planting as well.Watered maybe once a week until maybe 2 weeks ago noticed the leaves curling and upped my watering to 3 times a week. Now I’m currently watering 3 times weekly and I’m not sure when to apply fertilizer again. I planted and mixed potting mix and in ground potting mix and applied mulch on top.

Kmfjc

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 11:22:33 PM »
How would I go about doing a low biuret urea spray ? All I see is the root fertilizer online. Thanks for your response.

dlhvac

• love to grow citrus and mangoes avocado
    • durant florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »
apply fertilyser every two months on newly planted after they get established every three months september being last before going dormant for winter meyer may still flower and flush , until roots are established you should water daily in heat not deep watering as the roots are not established . limes are cold sensitive protect it if a freeze is expected.