Author Topic: Indian Mangos 2016  (Read 14099 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Indian Mangos 2016
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »
I just called the local Indian Supermarkets and they confirmed Indian Mangos will be available later today or tomorrow. If you pick up a case, please report back on quality.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mangos 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »
Simon
Please post pix we are getting a few boxes of sindhiri when release

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »
Here you go JF, these Mangos are from Farm Fresh in Little India in Los Angeles. Ashok sent me these pictures and the quality of these Kesars appear to be very good. The late season shipments tend to be poor quality and overripe but these pictures indicate these early season Kesars are very good.

I will update with pictures from the San Diego shipment once I get them tomorrow.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »
Simon,

What's the early season going rate?  $24-$32/box?
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:29 PM »
Simon,

What's the early season going rate?  $24-$32/box?

$30 for a box of 12

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:58:03 PM »
JF is spot on.

On a side note, Mangozz.com just notified me that Mancurad mangos are in season. They are supposed to be the most expensive mango in India.

Simon

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
Wow. Never heard about the mancurad mangoes till now. Just googled them now and found out they do give tough competition to the devgad alphonso which I thought was the most expensive. Never saw mancurad being sold in Mumbai. Maybe its only popular in Goa where it grows specifically. But then also most of Devgad alphonso is exported to western countries. According to one of the fruit vendors 95% of Devgad is exported. Still there are a lot of alphonsos and other mangoes from different areas that flock our markets and one can see mangoes wherever one looks.
-Nakul

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
Well on the topic of Indian mangoes, how does the Himsagar compare to these other varieties? I've heard that it was the best Indian variety of mango with an ultra fibreless sweet flesh. I'm curios if anybody has tried the Himsagar and Mancurad and has an opinion on which is better.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »
Out of all the different varieties of Indian Mangos I've tried, Kesar is the best tasting to my specific palate. The Kesars last year were exceptional. I've had Alphonso mangos grown in India from what is considered the best regions of India for growing Alphonse and I still prefer Kesar over Alphonse.

Simon

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »
I agree with Simon and know a lot of people that that would too. I think its the lesser fibre in Kesar and also the refreshing taste as compared to Alphonso. I find Alphonso and Kesar to be similar tasting with the latter a bit better. Also my stomach feels heavy after having an Alphonso. When I was young I thought Kesar was the most expensive because it was so good.
-Nakul

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

The Kesar does well in South Florida; my four-year old tree gave me about 40 great-tasting mangoes last year and is holding on to more than 70 right now. Alphonso does not do well here.  Himsagar looks promising; I have that topworked on one branch of my Keitt and it is holding on to 4 mangoes.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »
I just picked up three different varieties of Indian Mangos. Alphonse was $40.00 for a box of 10 premium fruit. Kesar was $30.00 for a box of 13 regular grade fruit and Banganpalli was $30.00 for a box of 11 regular grade fruit.

Some boxes of the same variety had more or less fruit depending on the size of the fruit. The cashier at Miramar Cash and Carry once again allowed me to inspect each fruit from each box, which I did, and every fruit looked to be in excellent condition from outward appearance.

I have not eaten any of the fruit yet but I will report back with taste and Brix results once they ripen up. Here are some pictures.

Banganpalli

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:20:09 PM »
Alphonse

Kesar

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
Alphonse

Kesar

Simon

They look great Simon! I'm going to pick up a few boxes of Pakistani mangos next weekend maybe a kesar  and baganpali. Looking forward to the reviews.

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »
Just picked up 4 cases...just like Simon's at the big Pioneer Cash and Carry in Artesia.
$30 for 12 or 13 kesars.
They had at least  60 cases.
Warren

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 01:15:45 AM »
I found one Alphonso mango that was ripe enough to eat and it was delicious. The flesh had a little more fiber near the seed than I recall last year but the rest of the flesh was fiberless. The flesh color was orange and the fruit was very juicy.

It had a sweet base flavor with that classical metallic or piney Indian Mango flavor that I love. The flavor this year was exceptional because I detected just a very minor, almost undetectable hint of acidity which broadened the flavor profile and accentuated the wonderful turpenes associated with Indian Mangos. The closer to the skin you get, the greater the intensity of the turpenes.

I'm not sure if it's the mangos that are tasting different from year to year or if it's my palate that's becoming more sophisticated but I noticed that slight bit of acidity in the Kesars last year and I'm noticing it in the Alphonso's this year. I have not eaten a Kesar yet this year, they should be ripe soon. Here are a few pictures.

Simon

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 05:53:27 AM »
Has anyone found these being sold in bay area markets?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »
Just picked up 4 cases...just like Simon's at the big Pioneer Cash and Carry in Artesia.
$30 for 12 or 13 kesars.
They had at least  60 cases.

Nice Warren, I'll be by your house to try them😀
Simon, please post evaluation of baganpali we are interested, we are growing here.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
Here you go JF:

This Banganpalli was still firm but I couldn't wait any longer so I cut it open. It was obviously not fully ripe as the flesh was yellow with parts of the outer edges just starting to turn a light orange color. As I cut the fruit, I could immediately smell the intensely strong piney resinous turpenes. I would hazard to say that this mango has more of the resinous flavor than Alphonso but the depth of the resinous flavor is stronger in Alphonso.

To elaborate, the Alphonso has a richer, more complex resinous flavor that lingers in my mouth much longer than that of the Banganpalli. The resinous smell and flavor from the Banganpalli is stronger but it is one dimensional. Upon seeing the yellowish flesh color, I was doubtful that the mango would be sweet. I took a Brix reading before tasting the fruit and the fruit only had a Brix reading of 16%.

My hopes were low because in general, I prefer mangos with Brix around 20%, but I was very very pleasantly surprised. After one bite, the intense sweetness made me believe I took a bad Brix reading so I cleaned and calibrated my refractometer and took another reading and it was still 16%. This mango is sweet, I ate an Alphonso yesterday with a Brix reading of 19% but my palate felt that this mango was sweeter.

The sweetness of this mango is one dimensional and tasted a bit like sugarcane juice that was juiced with the skin removed. Without the strong resinous flavor, this mango would not be very good in my honest opinion but the combination it has makes it an excellent mango.

This mango had minimal fiber, some would say non, around the seed. After I ate this mango, I thought to myself how similar it tastes compared to Alphonso. In summary, it was an excellent strong resinous sweet tasting mango that Indian Mango connoisseurs will surely love.

I believe that the complexity of the turpenes and the sugar acid balance of the Alphonso makes it taste less sweet when compared to the Banganpalli although my refractometer tells a different story. Perhaps the sugars from the juice of this slightly underripe fruit is not truely representative of the sugar imbedded in the flesh?

Please keep in mind that this is the first Banganpalli I've had this year and it was slightly underripe. The description I gave above may not be fully representative of what this variety normally tastes like. I should get fully ripe fruit within a day or two.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 12:17:30 AM »
Here is my first sampling of Kesar for 2016. This mango was perfectly ripe and I could immediately smell the turpenes as soon as the fruit was cut open. This mango is a perfect blend of the best attributes of both Alphonso and Banganpalli. It has an excellent sweetness with a rich deep and complex Indian resin taste. This Kesar had a Brix reading of 19% but it tasted sweeter than the Alphonso. I also felt that the Kesar had a better sweet resinous flavor near the skin than the Alphonso.

This mango is fiberless and so delicious. There was a barely noticeable hint of acidity that made the complex piney flavor that much more enjoyable. This mango is definitely top tier in my book.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
Here's a shot of all three varieties side by side for comparison.

Simon

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:20 AM »
Simon,

That Alphonso seems so small...next to Kesar.  And Kesar is small.  Really...there were only 10 premium Alphonso's in that box for $40?
The better deal seems to be with the $30 box of 12-13 regular Kesars.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:05:49 AM by wslau »
Warren

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 08:14:56 AM »
Yup, only ten Alphonsos in that box for $40. If I were looking for a deal, I would have picked up a box of 18 small Manilla mangos for $6.99, lol. What can I say, I really love mangos and variety is the spice of life. How were the quality of the mangos you picked up?

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
Yup, only ten Alphonsos in that box for $40. If I were looking for a deal, I would have picked up a box of 18 small Manilla mangos for $6.99, lol. What can I say, I really love mangos and variety is the spice of life. How were the quality of the mangos you picked up?

Simon

The ataulfo and haden from mexico are now about $5-$6 for 12

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »
thanks for the detailed analysis, Simon.  I should have a few Alphonso for tasting at my event this summer, although they all seem smallish
to me at the moment.  I too grew to LOVE that piney aftertaste of the Alphie.....now it's just time to wait.....

be well....Gary