Author Topic: mango tree sizes  (Read 1000 times)

j1mw3b

• Boynton Beach, FL
    • View Profile
mango tree sizes
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:08:11 PM »
I have 7 mango trees and try to keep them fairly small in my 7500 sq ft lot, so will never know how they might look when full grown.
But now, I want to plant a 4th tree in my sons yard (bigger than mine) - alread has a Pickering, NDM#4, Cogshall.
Want a tree that will quite large and eventually replace a very large fig tree.
Trying to determine what tree can do that  is difficult - descriptions of various trees are vigorously, moderately vigorous, spreading, etc all over the place.
For example, my Coconut Cream is described by the seller as "moderately low and spreading", but it is actually quite vigorous and rapidly outpacing my Glenn next to it.
I know a Valencia Pride, Haden and some of the old Florida mangos ones are quite large, but some of the newer or recently imported ones I don't know.

So, May I suggest or hope some of you could post some pics of your mango trees and how old they are - e.g. should be at least 10 years old.
I'll put my 50 year old Wally on here tomorrow.  The CC is only about may 4 or 5 years.  My LZ is maybe 7 and grows like a weed - straight up and fast - with no fruit ever - possibly aggressive pruning prevents fruiting.  Got 9 grafts on it now tho.

Anyway, hope some folks can post some pics.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Modified post - Here are pics from Sat 4/25/20 am.
First 3 are the old, old Wally.  Fortunately, it branched very low to ground so can keep it under power lines and still get fruit (every year).
4th pic (....635) is CC - about between 3 and 5 years.
5th pic (...659) is Glenn - same age as CC.
Sign in front says "no pick mangos"
Funny story, last year I had abundance of Glenn fruit, but had it tagged wrong as the CC and tagged the CC as Glenn.
Gave a bunch away and everyone said "best they ever had" - I had told them they were CC, mistakenly - none questioned it.
Walter came over one day to see the Wally and straightened me out as to which was CC.

I broke my 10 year old rule, sorry....

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:30:33 AM by j1mw3b »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: mango tree sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »
That Wally from 50 years isn't large at all...if you want a huge tree you grow one from seed, in 5 years it can be larger than 3 storey house.

j1mw3b

• Boynton Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
Not so high 'cause I prune the top almost every year.  See the power lines.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »

11 year old? (Edward, just recently made aware of the variety)
Sergio