Author Topic: What's going on with my Meyer Lemon now?  (Read 972 times)

lemons4us

• WA state, 8a
    • View Profile
What's going on with my Meyer Lemon now?
« on: June 29, 2022, 08:30:39 PM »
My Meyer Lemon suffered through a severe winter cold snap here in Seattle, and only recently started flushing with new leaves. I just noticed today that the newest growth at the ends of branches is showing something I've never seen before - white around the edges and mottling. Sigh. It had just started to look good again. Any idea what is going on and how I can make it happy? We did have a couple days of warm (mid 80's) weather last week - could that have something to do with it?
Thanks,
Martha

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with my Meyer Lemon now?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 07:22:36 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen that leaf pattern before, I have no idea, sorry

lemons4us

• WA state, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 01:44:39 AM »
Shoot. I've never seen it either- thanks for responding though, Brian!

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 10:03:09 AM »
Could be a type of virus. It is difficult to distinguish between the different types of viruses, as the same one can look different on different varieties
Heat could have caused the symptoms as it breaks out more easily when the plant is under stress.

lemons4us

• WA state, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 02:12:54 PM »
Thanks Mikkel - it looks "virusy" to me too - as opposed to a nutritional deficiency. If it is a virus, is there anything I can do about it? Should I remove infected leaves?

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 07:44:45 AM »
I have seen something similar which disappeared completely after a couple of years. I put it down to the effect of some chemical.
As I asked on the other forum you posted on, have you fertilised recently? If so, with what and how much? Any chance of drift from nearby weedkiller or path clear chemical?

lemons4us

• WA state, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 01:29:15 PM »
Thanks Citrange. I fertilize weekly "weakly" with Foliage Pro. No herbicides or other chemicals in my garden! I'm wondering if I should remove the effected leaves, or just let it be, and stop stressing. The poor tree had a rough winter and was just finally starting to thrive...

Melenduwir

• US, Pennsylvania, State College, 5b/6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 03:35:58 PM »
Those leaves do look as though they're carrying out some photosynthesis.  If it's a virus, the breakout is likely a result of stress, and so it's probably not going to spread; if it's a chemical burn of some kind, it's not likely to be a long-term problem.  In either case, I think you'd do more harm than good by removing the leaves.

My hesitant advice:  leave the leaves and watch carefully for signs of spreading or additional symptoms.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 07:56:15 PM by Melenduwir »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 05:57:34 PM »
Looks like Citrus infectious variegation virus
I have had it appear in unbudded rootstock seedlings here, usually a side branch or a terminal leaf goes V.
( sorry I have been binge watching Z nation, the zombie series ).
Always hoped it was real variegation, but was not.
Sometimes appears in very young seedlings, same as above, after a while it is obviously not true variegation.
It does seem to appear spontaneously in these soon after germination, so might be another cause ?
As others here have said, it could be stress induced, or the massive new flush has released it into many growing points.
Is there any lower clean area of the plant you can prune back to ? (Sterilise cutters so you don't reinfect.)
Any signs that it is fading out in newer growth, and the plant is recovering ?
Do you have many other Citrus ? if not it is probably not much risk to other Citrus plants.
Not sure if it is a latent virus, or spread by vectors.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 06:06:11 PM by pagnr »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 04:42:25 AM »
It's nothing. It was stressed when it put out those new leaves. That's the cause and it's harmless. Drought, low nutrients, cold heat etc could stress it and lead to that