Author Topic: New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure  (Read 23884 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:29:46 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:49 PM »
 :o Wow. I wonder how this mango tastes. :) Don't say "like pineapple". lol  I wonder how this differs from "pina" colada when it comes to taste.  What soil are you using?
Alexi

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
NICE...it sounds like a great mango going by the name!! Congrats!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 05:18:53 PM »
Dude! Looks to me like you stole the Zill label making machine.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »
How do you know this is the first??

Jeff - this is a new one on me...problem is are they referring to the flavor or the tartness/acidity level ?  I tasted a  lot of numbered mangoes that would have fallen under the tart/acidic level that would imply "pineapple".  Problem is, I am not a fan of overly tart magoes (too many were tart wil not enough balance of sweetness).
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
:o Wow. I wonder how this mango tastes. :) Don't say "like pineapple". lol  I wonder how this differs from "pina" colada when it comes to taste.  What soil are you using?

I use the free compost offered to residents of palm beach county  http://www.swa.org/site/information_and_documents/compost_distribution_procedures.htm
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
Yah, this one is news to me too. So far the new releases are:

• Coconut Cream - Edward x Gary
  • Lemon Zest - PPK seedling
  • Sunrise - Jakarta seedling
  • Lady's Choice - East Indian seedling
  • Pina Colada - Dot x Gary
  • Harvest Moon
  • Sweet Tart - Pillsbury seedling (if I remember correctly)
  • Juliette - Julie x Gary
  • Pineapple Pleasure
  • Orange Sherbet* - PPK seedling
  • Ugly Betty*

*Not yet released

Jeff - this is a new one on me...problem is are they referring to the flavor or the tartness/acidity level ?  I tasted a  lot of numbered mangoes that would have fallen under the tart/acidic level that would imply "pineapple".  Problem is, I am not a fan of overly tart magoes (too many were tart wil not enough balance of sweetness).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:02:27 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »

The nursery I bought it from said he got the first two Zill's sold...(today).  Since his is a commercial nursery and he will be putting it in a pot at a commercial nursery...mine by default is the first planted (in ground) in the United States outside of a commercial nursery. 

Sorry you don't like how my mangoes may taste....but I won't lose any sleep over it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:15:28 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »

I'm sure you are joking...but what an odd thing to say!
www.FLMangos.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »
I thought it was a pretty funny comment myself :-).

natsgarden123

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »

• Harvest Moon
  • Pineapple Pleasure
  • Ugly Betty*

*Not yet released

Ugly Betty?   I wonder how they came up with ;D that?     

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
Pretty funny, eh? I'm pretty sure he named it after 'Betty la Fea', which was a very popular Spanish telenovela (sitcom) that eventually spawned an English version.

Ugly Betty?   I wonder how they came up with ;D that?   

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
Hmmm  ..must be interesting to be a fly on the wall there..what names they want to come up with..

I can only imagine :)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »
You can buy Pineapple Pleasure mangos from:  http://www.brookstropicalnursery.com/
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 06:43:22 PM »

• Harvest Moon
  • Pineapple Pleasure
  • Ugly Betty*

*Not yet released

I heard that the Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet are the same mango trees.
www.FLMangos.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Pretty outrageous that a young whippersnapper like Mark is planting his Pineapple Pleasure before the rest of us.  ;)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »

The nursery I bought it from said he got the first two Zill's sold...(today).  Since his is a commercial nursery and he will be putting it in a pot at a commercial nursery...mine by default is the first planted (in ground) in the United States outside of a commercial nursery. 

Sorry you don't like how my mangoes may taste....but I won't lose any sleep over it.
Ahhh, first, they are not YOUR mangoes.  Second, I have tasted countless Zill "experiments" over the last few years so I have a good handle on what they are producing.  Many, or should I say most, of their experiments are not worthy of naming/planting.

Also, don't believe everything you hear as to who got this first and such...even if you heard it from Patrick  :o :P 8)  For there to be a plant to get bud wood for grafting these trees from there is most likely at least one in the ground.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
Ahhh, first, they are not YOUR mangoes.  Second, I have tasted countless Zill "experiments" over the last few years so I have a good handle on what they are producing.  Many, or should I say most, of their experiments are not worthy of naming/planting.

Also, don't believe everything you hear as to who got this first and such...even if you heard it from Patrick  :o :P 8)  For there to be a plant to get bud wood for grafting these trees from there is most likely at least one in the ground.

Rob,

Until proven otherwise, I continue to believe my tree is the first "outside of a commercial nursery."  Please look at the wording of my post.  The bud wood likely came from Zill's facility in Costa Rica (a commercial nursery)....so I continue to believe that I am the first "outside a commercial nursery."

I bought the Zill tree based on Zill's reputation.  I would not expect Zill's to hit a homerun with every mango, but that on the average Zills would produce good trees.  I bought the Sunrise, Coconut Cream, Lemon Zest, Sunrise, Pina Colada, Sweet Tart and Pineapple Pleasure based on Zill's reputation.  Similarly, I bought the Mahachanok, NDM, and Carrie without tasting them...instead relying upon the suggestions of others.   I grew up in Hawaii eating Paris and Hayden mangoes...my varities should be an improvement.  I have ten varieties of mangoes and still have room to plant more.
www.FLMangos.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
Rob,

Until proven otherwise, I continue to believe my tree is the first "outside of a commercial nursery."  Please look at the wording of my post.  The bud wood likely came from Zill's facility in Costa Rica (a commercial nursery)....so I continue to believe that I am the first "outside a commercial nursery."

Why would you think it came from Costa Rica? It most likely came from right here in Florida.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:48 PM »

Funny, but not in a ha-ha kind of way.
Rob are you having a bad day? You seem like you are being unnecessarily confrontational! Chill pill or a martini needed?
Quote from: MarinFla on Today at 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: Cookie Monster on Today at 06:13:27 PM

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:08:21 PM by MarinFla »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:45 PM »

Funny, but not in a ha-ha kind of way.
Rob are you having a bad day? You seem like you are being unnecessarily confrontational! Chill pill or a martini needed?

I'm buying.... Happy Hour anyone?

Im sure we are taking Rob's comment out of context.. He likes all mangos of all varieties..

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 08:10:37 PM »

I was referring to the comment above.... Zands was probably Joking and it wasn't Rob who posted that anyway...I missed the connection..... but the follow up was a bit much
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:13:41 PM by MarinFla »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
Just what I need.....another mango cultivar.  :D

And another good marketing name.

natsgarden123

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »
Just what I need.....another mango cultivar.  :D

And another good marketing name.

How else would they stay in business? I'm holding out for the Cosmo mango

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »

Rob,

I bought the Zill tree based on Zill's reputation.  I would not expect Zill's to hit a homerun with every mango, but that on the average Zills would produce good trees.  I bought the Sunrise, coconut cream, Lemon Zest, Sunrise, Pina Colada, Sweet Tart and Pineapple Pleasure based on Zill's reputation.  Similarly, I bought the Mahachanok, NDM, and Carrie without tasting them...instead relying upon the suggestions of others.   I grew up in Hawaii eating Paris and Hayden mangoes...my varities should be an improvement.  I have ten varieties of mangoes and still have room to plant more.
I am not trying to put you or your choices down, just to make you aware of Zills and their ways.  There are a handful on here that not only know how Zills operates but knows the family.  I am not knocking them either as some of their choices are outstanding...on the other hand, IN MY OPINION, some are duds and I would never think of planting them.  While I love almost all mangoes, with the numerous varieties available during each "season (early, mid, and late), some come up very disappointing or pretty bad when there are much better varieties available.

I understand that you, and man other go by recommendation when buying mangoes.  However, when doing this you should know the person and their tastes,  What one person like another may hate.  I have knowingly had all of the varieties Jeff listed above, with the exception of Lady's Choice, Ugly Betty and Juliette (I may have had Ugly Betty and Juliette but not familiar with their corresponding number...for those who don't know and without going into great detail, before Zills names one of their creations, they release the fruit with a number that identifies the tree it came from).  To me, Sweet Tart was awful, Sunrise was "ok", and Pina Colada ranged from outstanding to inedible.  The best were Coco Cream, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest and Harvest Moon.

Most of us are guilty of hyping certain varieties based on our knowledge of them.  I will be the first to push the Mahachanok as the best mango available.  Why, cause I have had a number of them and can vouch for just how good they are. I have also had a number of Coco Cream, OS, LZ HM and can also vouch for their quality though I will be honest in saying that none of them, TO ME, are better than the Mahachanok and my second fav would probably be Coco Cream.  Are these new Zill "designed" varieties the best out there, probably not the best but some of them are right up there.  Don't get caught up in the hype and overlook some of the superb "old" varieties such as Mallika, Duncan, Dot, NDM, Cushman, PPK, Edward, and Pickering just to name a few.

Since we are so close to the season this year, I would highly recommend tasting the different fruits to see what YOU like before you wind up wishing you had purchased variety A instead of variety B.
- Rob