Author Topic: When to start fertilizing my mango trees?  (Read 1601 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
When to start fertilizing my mango trees?
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
My mango tree is starting to push out a lot of new growth, all over the tree. I have never really fertilized my mango trees before since they are bigger and seemed to do fine without it. But I would like to start doing it since I have seen how much it helps all of my other trees.

Is it too early to start fertilizing? It seems like it would be too early to me. But all of my fruit trees are starting to push out a lot of new growth, not just my mangos.

It is going to get up to 80 tomorrow but then it is supposed to drop back down to the high 60s/low 70s for a week or so.

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: When to start fertilizing my mango trees?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
Although it seems perfectly alright to apply a slow-release Nitrogen-containing fertilizer now, in late January, I have followed the tradition of waiting until mid-February;  the fact that weather patterns have been much warmer in Winter (except in 2010) here near the coast in southeast Florida, gives one reason to start fertilizing earlier.

Non-Nitrogen fertilizers can be applied at any time of year.
Har

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
OK. Yah, I don't think we've seen a temp get into the 30's for close to 9 years. It used to be that Nov 1 was the start of non-sweating weather. But this year, it didn't start until Jan. Winters keep getting shorter and shorter.

Although it seems perfectly alright to apply a slow-release Nitrogen-containing fertilizer now, in late January, I have followed the tradition of waiting until mid-February;  the fact that weather patterns have been much warmer in Winter (except in 2010) here near the coast in southeast Florida, gives one reason to start fertilizing earlier.

Non-Nitrogen fertilizers can be applied at any time of year.
Jeff  :-)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
  Has anyone in the group tried miracle grow citrus avocado and mango fertilizer ? I saw some last weekend at Lowe’s and wondered if it’s a good formulation for some potted mango trees that I have.

William

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:04:33 AM »
No, but in general I’ve found Miracle Grow to be good stuff. Make sure it contains minor elements like zinc, copper, iron, etc.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:44 AM »
Agree with Har. Traditionally I’ve recommended March 1st  based on historical record but now that we don’t get real winters anymore it makes sense to start fertilizing earlier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk