Author Topic: My new replacement trees. :-)  (Read 5823 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
My new replacement trees. :-)
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »
I went by Jeff and Elsy's place today and bought a Pantin mamey sapote and a Tikal sapodilla.  :)

The pantin mamey is located where my brogdon used to be located at. It is actually flowering for the first 4 inches above the graft line. They are still very small, so you won't be able to see them in the picture.

Here's the Tikal Sapodilla. This is located where my older pace mamey used to be. I've read that the flesh is smooth and has good flavor. The wood of this sapodilla is also strong.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:42:45 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: My new replacement trees. :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
They're both beauties, Alexi.  Good luck.  My Viejo mamey is doing really well.
John

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
They're both beauties, Alexi.  Good luck.  My Viejo mamey is doing really well.

Thanks John. Glad to hear that your viejo mamey is doing well.  :)
Alexi

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »
Good move to replace them plus it will be another seven years until the next big blow/hurricane/wind storm so you are all set.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:49:44 AM »
Good move to replace them plus it will be another seven years until the next big blow/hurricane/wind storm so you are all set.

Thanks.  :)
Alexi

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 01:12:38 AM »
I went by Jeff and Elsy's place today and bought a Pantin mamey sapote and a Tikal sapodilla.  :)

The pantin mamey is located where my brogdon used to be located at. It is actually flowering for the first 4 inches above the graft line. They are still very small, so you won't be able to see them in the picture.

Here's the Tikal Sapodilla. This is located where my older pace mamey used to be. I've read that the flesh is smooth and has good flavor. The wood of this sapodilla is also strong.

Nice trees Alexi but what trees are you replacing?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
Thanks JF.  :) They replaced the brogdon avocado that snapped off below the graft line during Isaac and the older pace mamey that mysteriously declined and died.
Alexi

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
Very nice trees! Nice sized Sapodilla too.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
Thanks PJ1881.  :)
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
Alexi - please don't tell me that is a white electrical plug I see in the picture with the mamey...with that being said, and what looks to be rope in the sap picture, you need to invest in some tree tape to tie the trees to the stakes.  I would also get some tall bamboo stakes to support the tops of both the trees.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Alexi - please don't tell me that is a white electrical plug I see in the picture with the mamey...with that being said, and what looks to be rope in the sap picture, you need to invest in some tree tape to tie the trees to the stakes.  I would also get some tall bamboo stakes to support the tops of both the trees.

Yes, that is an electrical plug...    :P ;D

Just kidding. It's rope that ties the mamey to the bamboo that I inserted into the ground, away from the root ball. The tree is very stiff, so that is just extra support for it to straighten out a tad over time.  The sapodilla tree is tied the same way. It does the job and the reason I use that is because it's soft and won't make any indentations as the trunk gets thicker. What I will do is swing by home depot tomorrow, buy some re-bar and some nylon tree straps to be ready for any future tropical storm or hurricane similar to what FloridaGreenMan did with his papaya.  Thanks for the advice.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 12:13:37 AM »

Just kidding. It's rope that ties the mamey to the bamboo that I inserted into the ground, away from the root ball. The tree is very stiff, so that is just extra support for it to straighten out a tad over time.  The sapodilla tree is tied the same way. It does the job and the reason I use that is because it's soft and won't make any indentations as the trunk gets thicker. What I will do is swing by home depot tomorrow, buy some re-bar and some nylon tree straps to be ready for any future tropical storm or hurricane similar to what FloridaGreenMan did with his papaya.  Thanks for the advice.
The good thing with tree tape over a rope product is that it will stretch as the trunk grows so there is not the strangulation issue.  Rope is not forgiving and could cause issues if a lot of stress is put on it, sways too much or is left on too long without readjusting.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:28:40 AM »

The good thing with tree tape over a rope product is that it will stretch as the trunk grows so there is not the strangulation issue.  Rope is not forgiving and could cause issues if a lot of stress is put on it, sways too much or is left on too long without readjusting.

I know what you mean. I'll most probably use the tree tape like you've suggested. Both trees were already tied up against a bamboo stick with tree tape like all or most nurseries.  But I cut them off and took the bamboo stick out. I don't like having the bamboo right up against the trunk. If I allow the tree to sway a little bit, will that add some strength to the tree in a shorter amount of time?
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:39:58 AM »

I know what you mean. I'll most probably use the tree tape like you've suggested. Both trees were already tied up against a bamboo stick with tree tape like all or most nurseries.  But I cut them off and took the bamboo stick out. I don't like having the bamboo right up against the trunk. If I allow the tree to sway a little bit, will that add some strength to the tree in a shorter amount of time?
Just the opposite, that is what can cause a young tree to snap ala Sedation's Coco Cream.  On a young tree, the stake SHOULD be ties right up against the trunk.  This is what adds to less sway, less tress on roots and building a strong trunk.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44:30 AM »

Just the opposite, that is what can cause a young tree to snap ala Sedation's Coco Cream.  On a young tree, the stake SHOULD be ties right up against the trunk.  This is what adds to less sway, less tress on roots and building a strong trunk.

Oh okay. Thanks. I'm going to insert the bamboo sticks where they were previously located and use the tree tape.
Alexi