Author Topic: Averrhoa carambola var Fwang Tong - self fertile?  (Read 1405 times)

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
Averrhoa carambola var Fwang Tong - self fertile?
« on: October 02, 2017, 08:02:13 PM »
Hi!  I found a sale and had to pull the trigger without my usual research.  I was able to get the mangoes and guavas I wanted and picked up a few other things as well.  You know how that goes.  :)    One of the others was a starfruit that said it would fruit in containers while young.  I was like Ewan McGregor on an eclair.  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H18ljZBm5uU )

It arrived with more blooms than I can count.  I don't know if it's long style or short, if it needs a pollinator or if I can use a paintbrush.  Any help would be appreciated!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Averrhoa carambola var Fwang Tong - self fertile?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:10:44 PM »
not sure about fwang tong, but my kari produces well on its own. has fruited well since about 3 feet tall, in pot and now in ground, with no help. If you look closely, you may see tiny fruits amongst your flowers.

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:37:33 AM »
Most of my flowers are buds, only a few are open.  It's about 3' although it was pruned to fit in the box so it was taller than that.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
Fwang tung is the name for it here and yes they are self fertile.Potash helps them set.

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 02:15:54 AM »
Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk