Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 389305 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1225 on: January 26, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
chiming in with a 2017 update: 

Hurricane Matthew back in october felled all my mature trees.  But after righting they have flowered in december and just finished eating first batch. Now they are in 2nd flower flush of the year.

All the oddity ones, red/yellow/grimal/white are still babies and not mature yet.

But, I have 3 mature ones that are 20 plus years old and about 20 feet tall.   Growing Jaboticaba is so rewarding.  Not only ornamental but great tasting fruit. 

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 27, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Hi!  I'm interested in buying 2 or 3 Jaboicabas - my first ones.  What would you recommend for 1. ease of fruiting in containers and 2. the best but most different flavors.  Thanks.

Also, where's the best place to read on how to grow and fruit these plants?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 27, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »
Hi!  I'm interested in buying 2 or 3 Jaboicabas - my first ones.  What would you recommend for 1. ease of fruiting in containers and 2. the best but most different flavors.  Thanks.

You can try growing the  red jabo ,the grimal or coronata var restinga.The red jabo and coronata restinga are early bearing which start fruiting in three years.The red jabo like what i read can be easily grown in container and seems to be fast growing and i have one seedling nearly 4 months.The coronata restinga and grimal can handle tap water

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 27, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
Thanks.  What's the maximum recommended total dissolved solids for the others?  How do the ones you mentioned taste?

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: February 22, 2017, 04:29:17 AM »
Hi guys,
Planning to buy some jaboticaba seeds. I am in zone 9b/9a and would like to try keeping one in the ground.
When can they be moved to the ground?

I got gifted a jaboticaba (samara I think) which is around 5-6 cm tall. How old can it be?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:32:26 AM by 00christian00 »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 22, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »

You can try growing the  red jabo ,the grimal or coronata var restinga.The red jabo and coronata restinga are early bearing which start fruiting in three years.The red jabo like what i read can be easily grown in container and seems to be fast growing and i have one seedling nearly 4 months.The coronata restinga and grimal can handle tap water

I can concur on the Coronata restinga being able to handle tap water. Our tap here is terrible and the Coronata looks the best out of my jabos and also the fastest growing.

I wish I've gotten more of them instead and use them as rootstock for other varieties.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: March 02, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
Can anybody confirm if this is a jabuticaba?
It should have 3 years and 120cm tall, seem a bit too much for me.
Can barely see the leaves.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 03, 2017, 01:35:16 AM »
Christian, if I had a guess I would say that is not a Jaboticaba. Most jabos branch out even at a very young age. Yellow jaboticabas can be lanky for time when young but will eventually start to branch out as well (IMO). Chris
-Chris

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: March 03, 2017, 02:00:22 AM »
Christian, if I had a guess I would say that is not a Jaboticaba. Most jabos branch out even at a very young age. Yellow jaboticabas can be lanky for time when young but will eventually start to branch out as well (IMO). Chris

Thanks Chris, looks shady to me too. Somebody says the seller is reliable, so probably is an honest mistake. I'll skip this one then.
I found a 3 year red jabo 60cm, I'll take that.
At what age can they be pruned to give it a shape? Lateral shoots are slow as vertical growth?

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 10, 2017, 10:47:37 PM »
This jabo thread has been quiet for a while. Here are some updates of my trees. Below is a sabara with most of it's scaffold branches grafted into grimal where the scions are around pencil thick to sharpie size when grafted. Most of the grimal scions are fruiting now. When are they ready to pick? One of them turned purple two days ago.

All these grimal scions came from the jabo "prince" of Flying Fox Fruits! Many thanks.

[/url]

Recently added a mature Paulista scion onto the same tree. Scion is almost 2 feet. Larger than thumb size at the base.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 10, 2017, 10:55:38 PM »
If you're wondering, the white powder is diatomaceous earth. I got ants and aphids on new growth.

This is the quadruple rootstocked phitrantha. The fourth rootstock is still a work in progress. I took the tape off too soon and the callous pushed new rootstock away. I girdled the trunk to see if I can make it fruit sooner. I am aiming to be the first to fruit phitrantha in California. The scion also came from the jabo prince. I am not sure how old the mother tree was but I don't think it was over 4-5 years of age.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 10, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
This is a stacked cocktail with recently grafted Paulista on top sitting on Grimal. Grimal on Truciflora and Sabara as the rootstock.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 10, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
Sabara 5 on DE bath. Anyone know the parents of this hybrid from Pine Island? I think someone once said its a cross between coronata and sabara.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
Another branch of stacked scions on a red fruiting hybrid. Thumb size on Grimal stacked onto Sabara and Sabara on two small branches of red hybrid inspired by multiple roostock grafts.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 11, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
Wow, very nice tree's Xshen, you've got the grafting down for sure i can't believe that those long scions work for you i'm amazed. You quiet a few varieties growing and there looking good what kind of potting mix do you use? Many of my varieties are sticks right now and I'm afraid that I might lose them I think I drowned them last year. The whole Month of Sept. we were on vacation and I left all my jabo's in a shallow container of water while we were gone and now many are leaf less and some died completely. My potting mix was pumice,peat moss, shredded bark, and native soil which is mostly sand. I was under the impression that jabo's like water so I'm totally confused now!! Sorry for rant but i'm really impressed with your jabo growing keep up the great work!
By the way avocado scions growing well but not bud push yet on longan.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
Wow, very nice tree's Xshen, you've got the grafting down for sure i can't believe that those long scions work for you i'm amazed. You quiet a few varieties growing and there looking good what kind of potting mix do you use? Many of my varieties are sticks right now and I'm afraid that I might lose them I think I drowned them last year. The whole Month of Sept. we were on vacation and I left all my jabo's in a shallow container of water while we were gone and now many are leaf less and some died completely. My potting mix was pumice,peat moss, shredded bark, and native soil which is mostly sand. I was under the impression that jabo's like water so I'm totally confused now!! Sorry for rant but i'm really impressed with your jabo growing keep up the great work!

Thanks Robert. As for the potting mix, I am really cheap. I use purely composted mulch from my city’s yard. The mulch was freshly grounded when I brought them home but the mulch was about a year and a half old before they were used as potting soil. Over 1 ft thick of mulch was laid inside my greenhouse to raise humidity. When it rains, they wick up all the water on the concrete slab – this area floods when it rains. There were also a lot of fungi and critters that moved in to help break down the mulch. It’s mostly leaves, twigs, and pine needles. They retain moisture well. With the exception of the 25gal pots, most of my potted jabos are in 5 gal airpots that dries really fast.

During the raining season, I lost two jabos that were in the water trays from root rot. I thought they like water too but maybe it was too wet and too cold. I am going to remove the water trays going forward during the winter.

By the way, if your longan scions don’t take, I will send you more in a couple more months. Your white sapotes are doing great. I am looking forward to the yellow sapotes. All took. Thanks again!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #1242 on: April 11, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

They do like water, but still need to be well draining.

Even with watering once a day, I've had one who dried out and defoliated with a single day's heat.  When it's hot and sunny, I ended up watering 2x per day and moving them to filtered light under some larger trees.

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 11, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
Why is it always the dealers who set up these "recovery" programs?

Well I'm kinda new growing my own fruit. Over the past weekend in search of an Inga tree I stumbled upon 2 fruits that I have never eaten before and I'm immediately hooked. Sapodilla and Jabotacaba, I purchased a small black Jabo tree. I can already start to see myself becoming obsessed with acquiring more and more varieties to grow myself and just to eat. As I walked the farm the "dealer" I mean farmer offered samples. He mentioned it was to promote the sale of the trees.

All makes sense now.

Welcome me to the club. But upon welcoming me to your JA club just know, I'm Not going to be a traditional anonymous groupee to help you stop your addition but just seek your information and "suppliers" to better help my addition grow.

Donkeys4hire

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 11, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
I bet this is the only photo on Google that shows the Blue, yellow, and red jabos together (although they're runts, they still taste amazing when eaten all at once!)

Do you pop them like skittles?

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 11, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »
I have been emailing Flying Fox Fruits but he has not not replied. I want to buy a jaboticaba. Is there another good source?

Donkeys4hire

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
I have been emailing Flying Fox Fruits but he has not not replied. I want to buy a jaboticaba. Is there another good source?

I don't think they ship outside of FL.

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: April 11, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
Grimals are usually ripe when they lost their shine and become softer squishier. You can try them at different stages and find out but usually 1.5-2 weeks after they change color they will be ripe, but check them regularly and try them at different stages of ripeness.
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: April 11, 2017, 10:17:02 PM »
Nice updates Xue! My Sabara is finally flowering lightly for the first time after so many years, I think about5.

My Grimal grafted onto Sabara rootstock by Adam of Flying Fox Fruits flowered in the Winter and its holding its first small fruit. This small Grimal has a thin trunk and I'm surprised it's holding a single fruit, maybe because it's grafted.

Here's an update of my Double rootstock Sabara, it is growing extremely well and I'm about to girdle it with a paperclip to see if it will start flowering.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: April 11, 2017, 10:30:30 PM »
The last picture with the small fruit is actually my Grimal grafted onto Sabara as you can see from the tag.

BTW, Adam of Flying Fox Fruits is extremely busy and he has blocked his PMs. I believe he can still be reached by email. He has to take care of his plants, make videos to educate the public and take care of his new business. It's a lot to juggle so it can take a while for him to answer back.

Simon