Author Topic: Ivy gourd (coccinia grandis) invasiveness mediterranean climate  (Read 2752 times)

Hil

• Spain, 10a
    • View Profile
    • New Vidas
Ivy gourd (coccinia grandis) invasiveness mediterranean climate
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:20:52 AM »
There are a lot of sources saying Ivy Gourd is invasive in places like Hawaii and India, but none say anything about mediterranean climates. Does anyone have experience with them in a Mediterranean climate?

toucan_joe

• botanic enthusiast
    • Melbourne
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy gourd (coccinia grandis) invasiveness mediterranean climate
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:21:49 AM »
There are a lot of sources saying Ivy Gourd is invasive in places like Hawaii and India, but none say anything about mediterranean climates. Does anyone have experience with them in a Mediterranean climate?

Here's the most reliable resource about invasive species I use: https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/14659
Since coccinia grandis prefers tropical rainforest climate, I guess that's the reason why you can't find any info about it in mediterranean climates. Way too dry.

Hil

• Spain, 10a
    • View Profile
    • New Vidas
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
That would be very good news. I'm considering to add it to my garden, but I wouldn't want it to spread into nature. Like all perennial cucumber/squash-like crops it's very uncommon. The only one occasionally grown is chayote.
Is there anyone on the forum that is growing, or has grown, ivy gourd (also tindola or scarlet gourd) in a Mediterranean climate?

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
I used to grow coccinia indica (tinda) in my garden. The unripe fruit when still green can be eaten just boiled in water, split and added to sauté onions  and made into  spiced oily pickles.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:23:54 PM »

Here's the most reliable resource about invasive species I use: https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/14659
Since coccinia grandis prefers tropical rainforest climate, I guess that's the reason why you can't find any info about it in mediterranean climates. Way too dry.

Coccinia grandis can handle extreme dry. They will be difficult to control without vigilance. I left some in pots without water for almost a year. They did not perish and grew rapidly once watered. We have sharp dry seasons here in Vieques, probably much like the Mediterranean.
Life is good

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 03:56:49 AM »
It is better to grow this on pot or on the ground? I'm afraid to loose it during the winter... Thank's!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:42:41 AM »
It is better to grow this on pot or on the ground? I'm afraid to loose it during the winter... Thank's!

It is easier to control in a pot.
Life is good

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 03:45:14 AM »

It is easier to control in a pot.
Thank's!  ;D

Hil

• Spain, 10a
    • View Profile
    • New Vidas
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 04:49:00 AM »

Coccinia grandis can handle extreme dry. They will be difficult to control without vigilance. I left some in pots without water for almost a year. They did not perish and grew rapidly once watered. We have sharp dry seasons here in Vieques, probably much like the Mediterranean.

Well, I'm in one of the more arid parts of the Mediterranean. A bit further south from here there are areas that almost get as much rainfall as Vieques, but this area gets about a quarter of that. Growing it in a pot is a good idea, makes it easier to protect it from cold nights as well.
I guess I'll start with that and see how invasive it will be here  :)

According to the info at Dave's Garden it's hardy to about -3/-4. So if you have one I would put it in a pot too. They are not so easy to come by in Europe  ;)