Author Topic: Advice needed, freezing a watermelon.  (Read 1633 times)

Acey94

• Stafford
    • View Profile
Advice needed, freezing a watermelon.
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:18:46 AM »
Hello, new member here!

I'm having a house party on Halloween  ;D
I'm making watermelon kegs, I have two watermelons

One water melon is in the fridge, been untouched.

The other one, I cut a hole at the top (in a lid-type fashion) and spooned out all the seeds and about 90% of the flesh (thin red layer across inside, still)
Cut a hole on the side near the bottom and then proceeded to snugly fit a spigot in, it was all secure I filled watermelon with water (to test) no leaks, the liquid came out spigot very nicely. Took the spigiot and all liquid out, placed the 'lid' back on and placed in the freezer.

Now, my question is this... Once I take the watermelon out the freezer on Halloween and it has been left out a few hours to thaw out fully, will it rind still be hard and secure like it is before frozen? Because obviously I'll be putting booze inside it and if the ring was to break the alcohol would go everywhere and be wasted

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time reading this. Acey.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed, freezing a watermelon.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »
It will be mush.

Freezing causes ice crystals that puncture cell walls.  The internal flavor should be fine but expect the rind to be a snotty mess.
Especially if it froze slowly, like a large mass like a watermelon would be.

Acey94

• Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:22:53 AM »
So the actual green rind will be completely usable as liquid holder? I did think that it may go a bit softer, but didn't think it'd go that bad  :(

The flesh I cut out I wasn't planning on mixing in with the alcohol, that's all in a bowl in my fridge ready to eat separately, it's more of the novelty of drinking out the watermelon with getting a little hint of the of the flavour coming from the thin layer I left inside, the plan is just to drink from basically a hollow watermelon

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »
It may hold liquid, but it will be far more saggy than a fresh melon, but that could the charm of Halloween.

Acey94

• Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:21 AM »
So do you think it may be best to leave the second one I have in the fridge till the actual Halloween day. and use the potential 'saggy' one to see how it goes?

Of course I'll have a 100% fine one, was just hoping I'd have two on the go, as I have a lot of drink for them