Author Topic: Mexicola avocado taste and types  (Read 2506 times)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Mexicola avocado taste and types
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »
I've looked online and most places talk about the anise leaves, but is there any of that flavor in the fruit? I'm not a huge fan of licorice.
Also are there different Mexicola avocados depending on where you get them from?

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Mexicola avocado taste and types
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:21:54 PM »
Fruit is not like the leaves i would not reccomend growing mexicola if cold hardy type is wanted your better off growing Duke, Boony Doon,Black Johnson, DelRay or Aravaipa Avo trees. Mexicola not much flesh but you can eat skin since skin so thin.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I would love to get my hands on the Black Johnson and the DelRay if I could find them. The duke just gets to big and I already have the others that you mentioned. They just need to get bigger. I am trying to hedge my bet so to speak on getting some avos to produce in my area. I also read about one of the original California avocados " Puebla " that is almost extinct now, there is an effort in San Diego County I think to bring it back and I would love to give it a try too.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:51 PM »
Good idea keep the puebla going my sister in fresno has a delray tree but too small for scions yet and i just had two black johnson grafts take, but wont have scions for approx a year or so, most black johnson trees are located in the central valley of cali.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »
Sweet, please keep me updated with the trees progress. I love reviews from personal experience.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
Fruit is not like the leaves i would not reccomend growing mexicola if cold hardy type is wanted your better off growing Duke, Boony Doon,Black Johnson, DelRay or Aravaipa Avo trees. Mexicola not much flesh but you can eat skin since skin so thin.

why do you recommend all these over mexicola? mexicola are one of, if not the best tasting avocado ive had

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 10:23:19 PM »

why do you recommend all these over mexicola? mexicola are one of, if not the best tasting avocado ive had

I haven't eaten Mexicola but I have also heard great things. I am planning on growing it here as well. Mexicola Grande as well.
-Josh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 11:39:18 PM »
I have three trees, they are fairly small, about 4 ft wide & 8 feet tall so all 3 fit in the space of one normal Avo tree, set a lot of fruit which are small, quality is OK withedible skin, they drop off quickly when ripe. The biggest advantage for me in SW Florida is they are super early, the first Avo after being without for 4-5 months, ripening in July-August. Josh you can come taste if you like.
Mine match what Carlos has:
https://www.myavocadotrees.com/mexicola-avocado.html

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 01:54:29 PM »
Another old cold-hardy Avocado variety is the Gainesville, able to survive 17-degrees Fahrenheit.   I haven't noticed any in South Florida since about 1980--- I wasn't looking for one.
Har

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 03:35:59 PM »
initially i was in the same boat , regretting why i had planted Mexicola , when there are so many other good choice available

do remember, my conclusion was based on online research only , not with actual taste test my own

but this year, my Mexicola fruited first time, its become instant hit in my family . kids love it and so as the other family members.

for kids, its a perfect size snack to take to school or eat at home

and for me and my wife love the spice that comes with the skin , the flesh is good too.

so i wouldn't rule out Mexicola just yet. 

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 04:21:23 PM »
I have three trees, they are fairly small, about 4 ft wide & 8 feet tall so all 3 fit in the space of one normal Avo tree, set a lot of fruit which are small, quality is OK withedible skin, they drop off quickly when ripe. The biggest advantage for me in SW Florida is they are super early, the first Avo after being without for 4-5 months, ripening in July-August. Josh you can come taste if you like.
Mine match what Carlos has:
https://www.myavocadotrees.com/mexicola-avocado.html

That would be wonderful. I have been meaning to get in touch with you for a visit. I have heard great things about your place from some friends.
-Josh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 07:09:36 AM »
People in California say the Mexicola is a large tree but in Homestead,  like seems in Pine Island FL,  the tree keeps small too.  Mine is on a Waldin root stock, then a Beta was micro grafted on and the Beta was top worked with the Mexicola. The Beta is a small tree.   But  this tree does not grow more than 8 FT and has been like that for years.
I have been wondering for years if the Mexicola as a rootstock will produce small trees in Florida. Finally this year I have time and started grafting some local varieties on Mexicola.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 02:09:07 PM »
People in California say the Mexicola is a large tree but in Homestead,  like seems in Pine Island FL,  the tree keeps small too.  Mine is on a Waldin root stock, then a Beta was micro grafted on and the Beta was top worked with the Mexicola. The Beta is a small tree.   But  this tree does not grow more than 8 FT and has been like that for years.
I have been wondering for years if the Mexicola as a rootstock will produce small trees in Florida. Finally this year I have time and started grafting some local varieties on Mexicola.

I'm looking forward to hear about your grafting experiment. How exciting. Any other tips on rootstock seed? I bought 250 Waldin this year and 50 Lula later on. I had a lot come up but there was something digging seeds out of pots, I think rats, and some others I managed to rot out some how. I just finished up a marathon grafting session a few days ago.
-Josh

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
Only tip I can give you on root stock is that in Florida we need to start planting avocados with clonal root stocks.
I had always been intrigued as to why we used Waldin. I have look for research to indicate any special quality, nothing different from any other good growing large-seed west indies. Whenever I plant Waldin seeds they don't germinate evenly and some sprout but don't grow much. Seems like a very variable seedling.  Recently I ran into a scientist at UF who indicated that even as a clone Waldin is very irregular in growing habits and look.  Finally in my quest for an answer I spoke with a 3rd generation commercial avocado grower in Homestead who basically said "the only reason we used Waldin is because it is the first WI avocado that planting it in late August early September is ready for grafting when bud wood is at its prime".

From my perspective Lula Seems a bit more regular germination and evenness of the seedling.

The issue with Waldin seedlings is just that,  irregularity. For example I have Donie trees on Waldin. There are some trees that consistently catch my attention  for being low producers. Trees next to them produce well. Same nutrition , same irrigation, same location and same soil. The only variable is the root stock.

We have a lot of tissue companies in Florida that make and sell liners. Is about time one of then start producing avocado clones of some of the better clonal used in the world like Duke 7 and Dusa. The right rootstock can increase production by a lot, 30% I have seen numbers of 30% and better roots with root rot resistance. Also you can order the lines to time them for the precise time you are going to graft.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Vernmented

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »
Very interesting. Two of my trees here are double rootstocked and all have been grown in Rootmaker pots. Sounds like that is a good option until clonal rootstocks are available. I tossed some nice fat seeds away but maybe I should save all the large ones. I really appreciate all the info you have shared and I have used your website many times for reference.
-Josh

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
Interesting post on walden and lula seeds ive wanted to try both but sounds like i should avoid walden seeds, so no nursery has clonal rootstock currently in florida ? so one has to order dusa rootstock clear away from ventura Ca ? Ive heard good things about dusa some say tree grows way faster and better production i will have dusa in year 2020 and will see for myself if there is a hugh diff or not compared to zutano seeds and others.My biggest complaint about mexicola is the size but it is nice it doesnt have to stay on tree a year or more, but Duke also ripens fast and its larger and you can also eat the skin, but Duke also has short shelf life so you have only a few days once picked.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 09:48:18 PM »
Another old cold-hardy Avocado variety is the Gainesville, able to survive 17-degrees Fahrenheit.   I haven't noticed any in South Florida since about 1980--- I wasn't looking for one.

I’ve never had it, but Have been told that Gainesville is a piece of garbage. Maybe why it never became popular.

My experience with Mexicola has been the same with regard to its slow growth habit. This hasn’t been true of some of the other Mexican types we grow though. Mexicola Grande grows a little more vigorously and produces more acceptably sized fruits.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »
Agree on the Mexicola Grande much larger fruit better tree as well. Lost it during Irma.
It is very difficult for a small operation even more for an individual to buy clones for grafting. I hope some day one of the Florida Tissue culture companies will start.

Seedlings of Duke 7 look promising for Florida. The tree grows well here clearly likes it. From reading some articles there is consistency in the seedlings and do have some root rot resistance. Has la large seed for a Mexican, good for early grafting. Reported by some articles cold hardy to 22 degrees It is not patented as Dusa, which happens to be a seedling of Duke 7.   Who wants more!!!!!!!

There are other Mexican varieties that produce and grow well in Florida that will be cold resistant, good for boundary pushers north of Broward County.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk