Author Topic: My Garden - I started Mangoes 5-yrs ago  (Read 3627 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
My Garden - I started Mangoes 5-yrs ago
« on: August 31, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »
most my mangoes are less than 3 yrs in ground. looks like now they are starting to takeoff.  see pics here.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:28:29 PM by behlgarden »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: My Garden - I started Mangoes 5-yrs ago
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
Love the view. You in SD?

Mangoes sure grow slowly out there, don't they?
Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
Love the view. You in SD?

Mangoes sure grow slowly out there, don't they?

no, I am in Corona, at 1300 feet elevation and have 3 sides open with no homes, with mountain and entire valley views.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
Beautiful!!!
Does it get windy there?
How much do you water them? Just looking for estimate answers (no need for GPM, Lol). 

Thanks,
Trung

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »
You do excellent care of your orchard, Behl!
With top of the hill location to boot. 👍
I can see you’ll be hosting Mango tasting
under those trees, someday...
Sam

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
Beautiful!!!
Does it get windy there?
How much do you water them? Just looking for estimate answers (no need for GPM, Lol). 

Thanks,
Trung

I dont get the hot warm santa ana winds as most those winds stay low in the valley, I do get some. I get high winds from ocean front from west side when its windy. On watering, I have it on deep watering every other day this year. due to heat we got I had no choice but to water.  my monthly water bill is about $230 right now. once we start to cool, I will reduce watering by 50%

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
You do excellent care of your orchard, Behl!
With top of the hill location to boot. 👍
I can see you’ll be hosting Mango tasting
under those trees, someday...

Mango and Cherimoya tasting is quite possible in next 2 years.  this year focusing on growth of mango trees, hopefully they are stronger for next year.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
Beautiful!!!
Does it get windy there?

Thanks,
Trung

I dont get the hot warm santa ana winds as most those winds stay low in the valley, I do get some. I get high winds from ocean front from west side when its windy. On watering, I have it on deep watering every other day this year. due to heat we got I had no choice but to water.  my monthly water bill is about $230 right now. once we start to cool, I will reduce watering by 50%

Impressive Behl! And its a challenge to grow these & fruits on ur labor the coming years. We might have the same temps here in San Fernando Valley & major difference is I get blazing Santa 'effin Ana Winds at 827 ft elevation.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »
Looks nice.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
Beautiful!!!
Does it get windy there?

Thanks,
Trung

Do you have to do frost protection in winter months?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »
Beautiful yard and orchard! Very nice what you are creating. 

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 05:06:35 PM »
Nice growth on everything Behl and you have a beautiful yard. Motivates me to clean up my cluttered yard. I hope you’ll get bountiful harvests in the years to come.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 05:44:00 PM »
Nice Behl.  Very beautiful yard and view indeed.
Warren

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
Looks good behl.  Plants look happy and everything looks very organized and tidy.  Very nice yard. 
Brad Spaugh

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
Your mango trees look healthy. Hope you have many good fruitful years ahead.

I can see some nice developing fruit on your trees. I am not letting my mango trees fruit for the first (4) years to obtain Maximum growth (relative to California).

It takes us 2 1/2 to 3 years to get the equivalent of one-year growth to Florida subtropical climate. Our Mediterranean climate and much colder Pacific ocean hinder the fast growth of Mango Trees.

Good Luck

Johnny

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »
Nice yard, behl!

It was good to see hanging mango, cherimoya fruits.

Fruitfool.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
Beautiful garden Behl!

All the trees are showing nice growth, and the yard is very nicely kept. Nice work!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
Beautiful!!!
Does it get windy there?

Thanks,
Trung

Do you have to do frost protection in winter months?

we get to 32 and 30, lowest was 27 when we had snow in lake Elsinore, but I have never protected any trees, have lost few limbs though. I now water when there is front advisory, keeping roots warm at 70 degree temp is what I shoot for.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »
Behlgarden, nice looking garden.

I Would like to thank you for sharing the new grafting modification that you utilize. I have enjoyed trying it over the past few days. Too soon to tell success rate. It looks like it will be an improvement over my previous low percentage success rate that is still less than 33.333% with years of practice with various other insitu methods
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:25:26 PM by palmcity »

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
First post here, very nice orchard you have there and an inspiration for sure at least for me. I am at the foothill of Big Bear/Arrowhead mountains and very enthusiastic about growing mango tress. It gets up to 110 in the summer and lows of 30-35s for some nights. I have a small backyard (plot size is 7800 sqft and mostly taken by the house), but would like to grow as many varieties of mangoes as possible. I have bought 9 different varieties of mangoes so far from various nurseries (Nam Dac Mai, Maha Chanok, Glenn, Keitt, Carrie, Pickering, Choc Anon, Malikka, and Valencia Pride). If I were to maximize the space I have, I would have to plant them 5-6 feet apart. Is that advisable? How far apart have you planted your mango trees?

Thanks.

JC

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
First post here, very nice orchard you have there and an inspiration for sure at least for me. I am at the foothill of Big Bear/Arrowhead mountains and very enthusiastic about growing mango tress. It gets up to 110 in the summer and lows of 30-35s for some nights. I have a small backyard (plot size is 7800 sqft and mostly taken by the house), but would like to grow as many varieties of mangoes as possible. I have bought 9 different varieties of mangoes so far from various nurseries (Nam Dac Mai, Maha Chanok, Glenn, Keitt, Carrie, Pickering, Choc Anon, Malikka, and Valencia Pride). If I were to maximize the space I have, I would have to plant them 5-6 feet apart. Is that advisable? How far apart have you planted your mango trees?

Thanks.

JC

You could do cocktail of 3 to 4 mangoes on one tree, ensuring the mix is similar growth habbits. this way you maximize collection with min. space. here in So Cal mangoes dont grow 30 feet, and it they do could take 30 yrs. in my yard I got 8 feet spacing center to center, and my plan is to manage them at no mare than 12 feet tall, have not started pruning yet because they are still small.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

Thanks.

JC

You could do cocktail of 3 to 4 mangoes on one tree, ensuring the mix is similar growth habbits. this way you maximize collection with min. space. here in So Cal mangoes dont grow 30 feet, and it they do could take 30 yrs. in my yard I got 8 feet spacing center to center, and my plan is to manage them at no mare than 12 feet tall, have not started pruning yet because they are still small.

Good suggestion, I will be looking into grafting. I am planning to plant the condo varieties in 65 gallon pots. It was good to hear that temp as low as 27 didn't cause much damage to the trees, I will sure remember to water the plants for those low temps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk