Author Topic: Anyone growing Glenn, LZ, or Peach Cobbler seedling in So-Cal?  (Read 1514 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,
I just ordered a Glenn seedling from Bob Wells nursery in Texas. It is 2 years old, and according to them is about 4 ft tall. I talked to their CS, and he said in their experience it will fruit in 2 years. They also have Lemon Zest, Peach Cobler, Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch, Carrie,etc.
I have no experience growing a seedling mango.
If anyone could help, is it more challenging than grafted ones? Will the tree grow stronger than the grafted ones?
Thank you!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Glenn, LZ, or Peach Cobbler seedling in So-Cal?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Unfortunately, buying a Glenn seedling is NOT really recommended since Glenn is a monoembrionic (Resulting seedling not being identical to parent) variety and any seedling will be a new variety (could be worse or better, but likely worse).
Buying a LZ seedling comes with a good chance that it will be true to type since LZ is polyembrionic (yields 1 zygote and the rest clones).
Peach Cobbler is monoembrionic, so any seedling of Peach Cobbler will NOT be identical to its parent.

In general, the planted (in ground) seedling will grow fairly strong, often better than grafted varieties on turpentine rootstock. Contrary to what the seller said, although it may fruit in year 2...it is better if you wait a year longer and sometimes more.  Fruiting while the tree is young will stunt the trees growth and may even kill it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:42:30 PM by wslau »
Warren

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 07:46:58 PM »
Unfortunately, buying a Glenn seedling is NOT really recommended since Glenn is a monoembrionic (Resulting seedling not being identical to parent) variety and any seedling will be a new variety (could be worse or better, but likely worse).
Buying a LZ seedling comes with a good chance that it will be true to type since LZ is polyembrionic (yields 1 zygote and the rest clones).
Peach Cobbler is monoembrionic, so any seedling of Peach Cobbler will NOT be identical to its parent.

In general, the planted (in ground) seedling will grow fairly strong, often better than grafted varieties on turpentine rootstock. Contrary to what the seller said, although it may fruit in year 2...it is better if you wait a year longer and sometimes more.  Fruiting while the tree is young will stunt the trees growth and may even kill it.
[/quote

Thank you! I will call the nursery, and double check if it is really a seedling then I will switch to either LZ or other tree. I heard LZ is susceptible to powdery mildew, but it is a very tasty mango.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »
You should also ask if they are certified to ship to CA.  CA has strict regulations on incoming plants.  Hate to see your plants getting confiscated entering CA.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:56:02 PM by wslau »
Warren

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »
How do you know it's a seedling?  I just looked at the website, and I don't see that stated anywhere... I might have missed it?
--Jake

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:46:26 PM »
I agree with Warren(wslau).

Lemon Zest is one of my favorite Mangos in terms of taste but it is one of my worst Mangos in terms of disease resistance. Because of it disease and production issues, I don’t recommend LZ for SoCal growers unless you are willing to spray regularly, are willing to take a gamble or have extra room and money for an ornamental tree.

You may want to consider posting on the buy/sell forum in order to acquire some Sweet Tart, CAC or NDM seeds. These three varieties are Polyembryonic and also grow well in our soil. All three varieties taste good and are productive in many parts of SoCal.

Simon

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 12:50:42 AM »
How do you know it's a seedling?  I just looked at the website, and I don't see that stated anywhere... I might have missed it?

The first customer service told me that. after I read the thoughtful responses from this forum (thank you, guys!), I decided to make one more call to make sure. This time an elder gentleman answered the phone, he seemed to be more knowledgeable. He explained to me their mango trees are grafted. They grow the seedling themselves, then graft the scions themselves. So it is not on turpentine rootstock, when I asked what kind of rootstock, their answer is regular native mango they usually grow in Texas.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 12:54:08 AM »
I agree with Warren(wslau).

Lemon Zest is one of my favorite Mangos in terms of taste but it is one of my worst Mangos in terms of disease resistance. Because of it disease and production issues, I don’t recommend LZ for SoCal growers unless you are willing to spray regularly, are willing to take a gamble or have extra room and money for an ornamental tree.

You may want to consider posting on the buy/sell forum in order to acquire some Sweet Tart, CAC or NDM seeds. These three varieties are Polyembryonic and also grow well in our soil. All three varieties taste good and are productive in many parts of SoCal.

Simon

Thanks, Simon. I decided not to get LZ. I am not a very discipline gardener, most likely I would have forgotten to spray it.
I already have 3 mango seedling,1 Manila, 1 Kuini, and 1 unknown. They are about 2 years old each, and I will buy some scions from the members here by august to start grafting them.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 09:13:04 PM »

My PC seeds are all polyembryonic. I wonder if others have both poly and mono.