Author Topic: Greenhouse humidity  (Read 1812 times)

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Greenhouse humidity
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »
Currently my greenhouse is under construction, but before I put in the humidity system I'm wondering if 75% humidity (that's what's best for orchids in general) is enough for ultra tropicals? The heat will be different since some will live on heat mats (in addition to the heater) but the humidity will be uniform.

The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse humidity
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:26:14 PM »
I've heard that 80% humidity is good for ultra tropicals

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
75% might be enough although more would be better than less I figure.  What temperature are you planning on, that could be more important than slight differences in humidity?

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »
75% might be enough although more would be better than less I figure.  What temperature are you planning on, that could be more important than slight differences in humidity?

I have to see what heater I'm getting. I'll be using heating pads (or evaporative coolers if necessary) to supplement temps in the greenhouse if too cold.

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
I've heard that 80% humidity is good for ultra tropicals

Yeah I've heard the same. I'm just worried about rotting some of the orchids. My friend's corpse flower does fine in the greenhouse at 75%, which is one of the non-fruit ultra-tropicals I'll have in my greenhouse.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »
What's interesting in the equatorial zones about humidity is that the same relative humidity feels more humid in the lower warmer areas than it does at an altitude of 3-5000'. Many of the orchids that people want to grow come from altitudes in the mid to high range while the fruits are from the lower ranges.
For example, in Costa Rica the best orchid collections I know of are in areas of 1000-1500m altitude.  But you couldn't grow a mangosteen at 1500m here even though we are only 9 degrees from the equator.  At higher altitudes they grow Hass avocadoes but down here where the durians grow we can only grow the FL avo types.
This all has to do with temperature more than humidity.
Peter

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
What is the humidity in the Arboretum that you work at, with the ultra tropicals?
There's still 20 ft Mango and Coconut tree's in there ?