Author Topic: Pruning to extend mango season  (Read 1259 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Pruning to extend mango season
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
I was driving down a road, and noticed, a mango tree with mangoes on one side, and flowers on the other.

at one point in time, the power company had cut back that side of the tree due to its proximity to power cables.

This got me thinking,   could it be possible to extend the harvest of a tree just by staggering the after harvest pruning?   in other words, lets say i have a big productive tree, after I harvest the fruit,  I could prune 1/3rd or the tree, then wait 2 weeks, and prune, a 2nd third, then, a couple weeks later to finish it off.   in the hopes that the next year each part of the tree would produce flowers at different times.

or will climate triggers over ride this?

anyone experiment or have any experience with this?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning to extend mango season
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
I like your thinking, TD!

I'm guessing in the case you are talking about, weather would  be a common trigger   but maybe not...it's a great experiment
for someone (like Harry  ;D) to do and see what happens.

Along a slightly diff. line of thinking, I've thought that if someone cut off half the flowers
of a tree and let the other half set fruit, would the branches that lost their inflos
send out new ones a few weeks later....again...extending the season???

Fanging It