Author Topic: What kind of citrus is this?  (Read 2047 times)

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
What kind of citrus is this?
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:05:39 PM »
I found this orange tree while putting gas in my truck it was growing against a chain link fence next to a vacant lot so I walked over and picked off a few of the fruit I will get pictures of the tree next time I put gas in, this tree was not intentionally planted it it's In a corporate complex next to a vacant lot here are some pictures of the fruit. I dont believe the leaves were trifoliate I'll check next time. I'm assuming just a malnourished feral Valencia or something.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: What kind of citrus is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »
Trifoliata.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
Thanks Laaz It was nighttime so i didn't really look at the leaves just reached through the fence and grabbed some. Maybe I'll grow some root stock from it

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Looks trifoliata to me too. I just juiced 40 of them yesterday.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
Juiced? That must be like drinking liquid glue.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:40:11 PM »
I tried letting the juice settle in a glass in refrigerator over 24 hours and tasted the “good juice “ at the top of the glass, and it was too strong and bitter to drink; if I wanted to dilute it in water and a lot of sugar, maybe, but... really, why?

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
I've been "threshing" trifoliatas for seed.  I tried letting the juice sit overnight in the refridgerater, then trying the juice.  Sure, I could have drank it with sugar and water, but why bother?  It just didn't seem worth the bother.  Trifoliata needs some serious breeding if it is ever going to be anything but a root stock.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 05:31:57 AM »
Yesterday I gave a citrus talk to a group of gardeners and carried out an experiment with trifoliate fruits that I've wanted to try for some time.
I passed around some ripe fruits to the group of about 50 people, asked them to scratch the fruits and give a good sniff.
I then asked for a show of hands if they found the smell between delightful and reasonably pleasant; or definitely unpleasant through to disgusting.
About 38 people liked the smell; and 7 found it definitely unpleasant.
One person could detect both a nice and nasty smell at the same time, the rest couldn't smell much at all or were undecided.
One lady complained bitterly saying I had spoiled her lunch and couldn't get rid of the stink!
Conclusion: there are definitely two 'types of human noses' when it comes to Poncirus smell. Roughly 20% don't like it!
Here are the people who did like it:

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:42 AM »
I like the smell of the whole uncut fruit. I almost detect perfume-like quality fragrance. But it is very strong. For me the taste was also very strong and acidic, almost to the point of worrying if I chugged even half of the juice glass it may cause harm to my system. I “feel” instinctively that it would have to be diluted by 50 to 75 % with water, after settling out the resin, to be safe to drink. The smell also made me think of moth balls, which is powerful but I don’t find unpleasant.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
For me exterior smell is very different from interior one. Outside it  is pretty good with fruity note, while interior  is disgusting.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Years ago I taught high school biology.  There were a bunch of papers for tasting to see who could taste what was on a given strip of paper.  There were several different flavors, ability to taste a given chemical is due to a different gene.
I was warned not to give them to students to take home and chart the genes throughout their family tree, as biology classes had done before, because it had lead to law suits when students found out they had genes that neither of their parents had.  It had also lead to divorces.
So we don't all taste the same chemicals.  They most commonly used example is in brassicas (cabbage family).  Many people find brassicas quite bitter.  Others don't taste the bitterness at all.
So while I am quite aware of what is going on, I am suprized to find it in citrus.

For what its worth, I didn't find any bitterness at all in citandarin US 852.  I understand that most people do.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
But Walt, it sounds like everyone can concur that the “poncyrus is bitter gene “ is present in all human, and probably all vertebrates’ DNA. I’ve heard even pigs won’t eat trifoliate fruits. I wonder if goats will; goats eat anything.

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »
What Citrange reported above says that genes for not liking trifoliate orange is common, it is not universal. 
More to the point, I'm trying to use trifoliate oranges to get more winter hardy citrus that taste good.  I might end up developing hardier citrus that taste good to a small group of people, but not for most people.