Author Topic: What to grow next?  (Read 3452 times)

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
What to grow next?
« on: March 23, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »
I have been diving into the tropical friut growing scene but still very new. I have 3 grafted trees, 3 seedlings I plan to graft onto, and a tray for future grafts; and some new pitaya cuttings. I also ordered a sapodilla and a guava. I have plans to get more trees in the future but not sure which direction to go. I live in zone 7b and trees will be outside/inside until I get a greenhouse one day.

I'm thinking I would like to grow something from seeds next. If it is something that will fruit the first or second year that will be even better. Suggestions?

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Re: What to grow next?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:37 PM »
It would be hard to beat dwarf citrus trees for your situation.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:20:12 PM »
For first or second year I can only think of banana and papaya, then for something small pineapple.

Regards,

Gary

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
Very few trees will produce fruit in their second year when grown from seed. 
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
For fast fruiting from seed you're looking at herbaceous plants like tamarillo, pepino dulce.
If you go from cuttings, figs and mulberries will fruit once they're rooted, or even before they're rooted.

I suggest growing things that will take many years to fruit, right NOW. Then add some things that will fruit sooner so you get some to eat. That is if you're sure you're into growing fruits.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
From seed: phalsa berry, poha berry, cape gooseberry
From cutting: figs, pomegranate, kiwi, goumi,
Container plant: acerola, carambola, jujube, pineapple, pineapple guava, Chilean guava
There are also a lot of uncommon berries and other fruits that may do well in your climate without cold protection. E.g.- seaberry, serviceberry, maypop, huckleberry, honeyberry, goji, gooseberry, currant, elderberry, akebia.
Anisha

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »
It would be hard to beat dwarf citrus trees for your situation.
Agreed. I plan on getting one next month from Edible Landscaping when I am in VA.

For first or second year I can only think of banana and papaya, then for something small pineapple.
Papaya is on my list. That might be good for now.

For fast fruiting from seed you're looking at herbaceous plants like tamarillo, pepino dulce.
If you go from cuttings, figs and mulberries will fruit once they're rooted, or even before they're rooted.

I suggest growing things that will take many years to fruit, right NOW. Then add some things that will fruit sooner so you get some to eat. That is if you're sure you're into growing fruits.
I do plan on buying some figs next month, but waiting until I buy a house before I get things for in ground. I definetely plan on getting many fruit plants for my landscaping.
I do have many trees that will fruit years from now. So I think I am onthe same page. I love growing fruit, that is the main reason I want seeds. Growing from seeds is much more enjoyable for me, getting to see the whole process.
So based off that, I will consider your advice. What are some trees that 1. I can grow from seed  2. Will not fruit for many years so worth getting a head start 3. Preferably not the most complicated trees in the world to grow. 
I wouldn't mind if I was growing rootstock, assuming I can find scions down the road.

From seed: phalsa berry, poha berry, cape gooseberry
From cutting: figs, pomegranate, kiwi, goumi,
Container plant: acerola, carambola, jujube, pineapple, pineapple guava, Chilean guava
There are also a lot of uncommon berries and other fruits that may do well in your climate without cold protection. E.g.- seaberry, serviceberry, maypop, huckleberry, honeyberry, goji, gooseberry, currant, elderberry, akebia.
I will look into those. I should have clarified, all my plants are in pots since I do not own a house right now. My tropical fruits will stay in pots indefinitely.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
Ah okay, same situation I was in before last year. Many of the jaboticabas will take around 8 years from seed. Longans and lychees take 8-12 years, but they don't do well in smaller pots and are difficult to graft. Loquat 3-4 years, easy to graft if you don't like it.
Eugenias work pretty well in pots I think. I have a pitangatuba in a tall pot flowering but not fruiting yet. Surinam cherry fruits just fine in a #5 pot.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 08:32:32 AM »
Welcome to the hobby! I'm in Raleigh if you want to visit and see what your life will look like in a couple of years. In the ground I have most of the common trees, bushes and vines as well as Jujube, Pineapple Guava, Loquat, Goumi, native Passionvine and Fuzzy Kiwis. I grow all the normal vegetables for the area as well as Rhubarb, Yacon, Ginger, Turmeric, Galangal, Roselle, Yucca, Sugarcane, Tea camelia, Cocona and a larger fruiting form of Naranjilla known as Lulo. And then there is the greenhouse where I experiment with more tropical plants such as many types of Citrus, Guavas, Papayas, Pineapples, Passionfruit, Sherbet berry and a dwarf Mulberry. I have some tropicals that I grew from seed - Longan, Grumichama, Luc's Garcinia, Jaboticaba, Suriname Cherry. In general I give them about 5 years to fruit. Space is limited so if they aren't doing well under my care I find them another home. I don't keep the greenhouse super warm so a lot of tropical plants are off my wish list.   Good luck!

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Welcome to the hobby! I'm in Raleigh if you want to visit and see what your life will look like in a couple of years. In the ground I have most of the common trees, bushes and vines as well as Jujube, Pineapple Guava, Loquat, Goumi, native Passionvine and Fuzzy Kiwis. I grow all the normal vegetables for the area as well as Rhubarb, Yacon, Ginger, Turmeric, Galangal, Roselle, Yucca, Sugarcane, Tea camelia, Cocona and a larger fruiting form of Naranjilla known as Lulo. And then there is the greenhouse where I experiment with more tropical plants such as many types of Citrus, Guavas, Papayas, Pineapples, Passionfruit, Sherbet berry and a dwarf Mulberry. I have some tropicals that I grew from seed - Longan, Grumichama, Luc's Garcinia, Jaboticaba, Suriname Cherry. In general I give them about 5 years to fruit. Space is limited so if they aren't doing well under my care I find them another home. I don't keep the greenhouse super warm so a lot of tropical plants are off my wish list.   Good luck!
Wow that sounds like a lot. I love it. I would definitely be interested in visiting. I am moving from Wilmington in May. I'll spend the summer at Badin Lake and then move permanently to High Point. I visit Raleigh a few times a year since I have several good friends living there now.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 05:02:16 PM »
If you want to impress yourself and friends, try miracle fruit. Fruit sized trees can be ordered online. Pineapples are another fruit that might work in your situation.

Simon

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 06:15:11 PM »
Carambola AKA Starfruit should be number one on your list. I planted a 15 gal out last year and within months had harvested over a bushel of fruit at a size of about 6 feet tall. A seedling would take about 1-2 years to get to that point.
It makes a Summer and Winter crop in Florida, maybe it can carry one indoors in a pot in Winter. It can make a few fruit off partial blooms aside from the main crops, I have seen trees holding some fruit during most months of the year here. Tree is fast growing and comes back well after pruning.  A tree that size can be pruned back to get it indoors to a sunny window or sunroom yearly. Bell is the best tasting variety by far. Grocery store starfruit are terrible,not worth eating. I have tasted a half dozen varieties and Bell is the only one I would classify as a good tasting fruit and worth spending money on. Search google with the search words "Carambola growing in the Florida home landscape" I have a Place in SC halfway between Charleston and Columbia,could pick up almost anything on your list in Florida and bring it back, I make 2 round trips a month. I second the suggestions of pitangatuba and miracle fruit. I could ship a few starfruit or miracle fruit for shipping cost when available.

hcbeck2689

• USA, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »
Carambola AKA Starfruit should be number one on your list. I planted a 15 gal out last year and within months had harvested over a bushel of fruit at a size of about 6 feet tall. A seedling would take about 1-2 years to get to that point.
It makes a Summer and Winter crop in Florida, maybe it can carry one indoors in a pot in Winter. It can make a few fruit off partial blooms aside from the main crops, I have seen trees holding some fruit during most months of the year here. Tree is fast growing and comes back well after pruning.  A tree that size can be pruned back to get it indoors to a sunny window or sunroom yearly. Bell is the best tasting variety by far. Grocery store starfruit are terrible,not worth eating. I have tasted a half dozen varieties and Bell is the only one I would classify as a good tasting fruit and worth spending money on. Search google with the search words "Carambola growing in the Florida home landscape" I have a Place in SC halfway between Charleston and Columbia,could pick up almost anything on your list in Florida and bring it back, I make 2 round trips a month. I second the suggestions of pitangatuba and miracle fruit. I could ship a few starfruit or miracle fruit for shipping cost when available.
I hadn't had this on my list bc they always taste like crap when I try them. Admittedly I have ever had a tree ripened fruit. That is a very generous offer that I would most likely take you up on. Miracle fruit is another on my list. Can you PM me an email or personal contact?
-Holden

karlasanchezv

• Ocala, FL, zone 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get Pepino grafted? I'm in Florida.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk