Author Topic: Quality avocado tree (15g) in San Jose , bayarea  (Read 1339 times)

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Quality avocado tree (15g) in San Jose , bayarea
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:01 PM »
Most nursery don’t carry 15gal here
Was only able to find some at “God little Acre Nursery” with cost around $200, and if you negotiate then $180

But the best choice selection I found (with my bit of research) was at “Menlo Grower” in Gilroy, CA with almost 50-60 15gal avocado trees , multiple varieties to chose from

I pick two at price of $160 each , lamb Hass and Reid

Pics attached

Any other resources in bayarea that I missed, anyone checkout local farmers market ?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:49:52 PM by jbaqai »

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Quality avocado tree (15g) in San Jose , bayarea
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:43:56 PM »
The big risk with avocado trees that are that big is that they will struggle to grow when you plant them.  Maybe you'll get lucky, but avocados seem to do best when planted young, when the roots haven't been constrained by nursery pots.  Simon has a whole thread on the forum about how after years of bad luck with nursery-grown avocados (which I have had as well), he had good luck with direct seeded avocados.  You might consider planting the trees in the ground right away to let them get established before winter.

Lately I've been doing a hybrid -- I plant avocado seeds in 1/2 gallon cardboard milk cartons and grow them until the seedling is about 4-6 inches tall and then plant them by cutting the bottom off of the carton and sliding the carton off, to as to not disturb the roots.  Seems to work pretty well, as long as I time it right.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
I purchase 3x15gal last year
Two from Lowe’s (via Laverne nursery) 1x Mexicola, 1x Bacon
And one from menlo grower Pinkerton

Two of them , which was planted in front yard doing great , see attached pics

That’s why I was willing to try 2 more 15 gal

Did follow some general guidelines, like don’t pull the tree from pot , cut the pot away , plus I mounted up , meaning only 1/3 of the plant was in ground and rest I put more compost and layer of mulch around

One thing that I noticed that trees from La-Verne was in much better soil, but the tree from menlo growers are in like crush rocks and sand , much heavier and not easy to handle

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »
Did follow some general guidelines, like don’t pull the tree from pot , cut the pot away , plus I mounted up , meaning only 1/3 of the plant was in ground and rest I put more compost and layer of mulch around

That's what I've done too, cut the pot away, correct any spin out with pruners and then carefully lift the rootball from the bottom and plant.

Smaller trees, don't care what they are, will surpass a bigger tree in a 30 + pot in 3 years.  I'll take a 1 or 3 gal. pot over a 30 gal. any day.  Bigger pots/trees is a marketing and profiting play on the part of the vendor IMO.