Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 632844 times)

Boston 56 【6】

• MASS.WILMINGTON 6
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1200 on: September 23, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »
Hello all, im new here,im Boston 56,and was wondering if i could get the name of a good poTTing mix for my clementine tree? aTYVM

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 24, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
Here is a list of trees/plants that I have either planted already, or will plant as soon as I can carve out some more time:
. . .
Star Apple
. . .

How's your Star Apple doing? I'm in Palos Verdes, so I don't get as cold or hot as Whittier, and my mother (other side of Palos Verdes) really wants a Star Apple tree. But I'm not sure it would fruit here or not.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Grouchomax

• USA, CA, Pasadena, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 25, 2015, 11:33:45 PM »
Hi, all,

I am Jay.  I am a retired engineer that have always been interested in gardening.  I slowly got into tropical fruits last year.

I have managed to plant several mangos : Glenn, Pickering, Harvest Moon, Maha Chanok, Okrung, Carrie, St. Maui, Keo Savoy, Peach Cobbler, Lychee, Longan, star fruit, passion fruit, guava, perssimons, papaya, sugar apple, miracle fruit, wax apple, jujube, pakistani mulberry and several other standard backyard fruit trees such as peaches, oranges and grape fruit.

I considered myself an organic farmer but nothing fanatic.  But I do make my own compost and keep several bins of worms.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:06:50 AM by Grouchomax »

Boston 56 【6】

• MASS.WILMINGTON 6
    • View Profile
Re:Boston 56 Introduce YourselfBoston
« Reply #1203 on: September 27, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I read some post of seedling growing addictions,and some pics,i really was lol,especially when i showed my wife,i am also out of room and had to give many away,my wife said if i grew any more should would leave me God ill miss her<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< il love watching my trees grow,nothing compares :) Good Luck All

KNOWLES

• heybulla
    • usa, florida, jupiter
    • View Profile
Hey Bulla
« Reply #1204 on: September 28, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »
Conchy Joe introduced me to the world of mango tasting and I haven't looked back. My favorites are lemon zest, lemon merrangue, sweet tart & honey kiss.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 12, 2015, 11:11:37 PM »
HI all,
I'm Jason from San Diego. I do not have any tropical fruit trees (yet) but hope to start with a mango a little later this year. I do have 3 varieties of apple trees that I just planted this year, Gala, Honey Crisp, and a Pixie Crunch. All are doing well,  the Gala actually had 6 apples in it.  The Honey Crisp is struggling a bit in the super hot Fall we've been having but it's growing. I also have a plum, lemon, and orange tree.

This forum looks super cool and I hope to be active!
Jason
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Boston 56 【6】

• MASS.WILMINGTON 6
    • View Profile
Re:Boston 56 Introduce YourselfBoston
« Reply #1206 on: October 13, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I read some post of seedling growing addictions,and some pics,i really was lol,especially when i showed my wife,i am also out of room and had to give many away,my wife said if i grew any more should would leave me God ill miss her<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< il love watching my trees grow,nothing compares :) Good Luck All

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 20, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
Hi Everybody!

I am HMelendez, living in South Florida, currently growing passion fruit, papaya, avocados, mangos, pomegranate, soursop, cherimoya, bananas, plantains and hot peppers. Looking forward to learn from the forum, from you all!....It is always a good learning experience!....

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 20, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »
Hi Everybody!

I am HMelendez, living in South Florida, currently growing passion fruit, papaya, avocados, mangos, pomegranate, soursop, cherimoya, bananas, plantains and hot peppers. Looking forward to learn from the forum, from you all!....It is always a good learning experience!....

Cherimoya as in Anona cherimola?
- Rob

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 22, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am Nakul from Mumbai, India. We had four colossal trees outside our house(Banyan, Peepal, Almond and Ashoka) because of which very little to  no direct sunlight was available to the smaller plants and trees. Last year during the monsoons one of the branches of the banyan tree snapped due to its own weight and the added mass of water on its leaves. This did some damage to the cars parked beneath. Our house was also under the tree and there was this danger of the tree falling over it. We've been writing to the authorities for trimming those over hanging branches for several years but to no avail and we couldnt trim it ourselves because its illegal. The branch snapping incident however made the authorities to act but instead they cut down the whole tree.

A few weeks later, the hibiscus which hasn't flowered for several years suddenly bloomed and bloomed very well. Also a papaya tree grew from leftover seeds and showed excellent growth. It started developing fruits after five months.

We've been trying to grow a lot of flowers but insufficient sunlight made all the attempts unsuccessful. The plants would thrive but won't flower. Cutting down of the older trees did make us uncomfortable due to the scorching summer without shade over our house but it also brought that precious sunlight for plants like the non flowering hibiscus and the Papaya tree that wouldn't have been.

Although not a large space but certainly I can plant a few trees and reap the fruits. I now have a grafted alphonso mango tree, a grafted allahabad guava tree, a neem tree, a fig tree and ofcourse the mighty papaya tree. I have a pair of soursop saplings in pots that I'm planning to transplant once they are big enough and will also get a grafted bael(Aegle marmelos) tree  soon to plant in the ground. Apart from these i want to grow fruits that can be grown in containers because well, there is a shortage of land at hand in the city.

Its been a few days since I've joined the forum and it has helped and informed me a great deal. I look forward learn a lot from everyone around. Adios amigos ;D.

-Nakul

catteau

• Newfoundland, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 22, 2015, 08:06:13 PM »
Hi, I'm Joy, and I'm a fruit fiend.  ;-)

And I'm thrilled to have come across this forum, quite by chance, while searching for info on the latest unknown-to-me fruit I came across in my travels (in Sierra Leone, at the moment).  That fruit would be spondias dulcis, as it happens - aka ambarella, golden apple, mangotin, kedongdong, fruit cythère, chook chook plum, and lots of other names too.  My friends & colleagues think I'm insane, I always buy new-to-me fruits, I encourage everyone else to eat them.  They make modest grimaces, have a small nibble, and return to their apples and oranges.  Geez, how BORING can you get?

So I'm absolutely delighted to discover other nuts like me!  I don't grow fruits, I just eat them, any fruits at all, wherever I am.  Well, I am trying to grow rhubarb, which is one of the few things that grows where I live (Newfoundland, eastern Canada, not the best place for growing anything).  But mostly I'm not into farming, just eating.

I'm looking forward to learning more about your fruits.  And to finally having a community to whom I can show a photo, tell you where I am, and say "so what's THIS one?"

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 23, 2015, 12:34:51 PM »
Hi, I'm Joy, and I'm a fruit fiend.  ;-)

And I'm thrilled to have come across this forum, quite by chance, while searching for info on the latest unknown-to-me fruit I came across in my travels (in Sierra Leone, at the moment).  That fruit would be spondias dulcis, as it happens - aka ambarella, golden apple, mangotin, kedongdong, fruit cythère, chook chook plum, and lots of other names too.  My friends & colleagues think I'm insane, I always buy new-to-me fruits, I encourage everyone else to eat them.  They make modest grimaces, have a small nibble, and return to their apples and oranges.  Geez, how BORING can you get?

So I'm absolutely delighted to discover other nuts like me!  I don't grow fruits, I just eat them, any fruits at all, wherever I am.  Well, I am trying to grow rhubarb, which is one of the few things that grows where I live (Newfoundland, eastern Canada, not the best place for growing anything).  But mostly I'm not into farming, just eating.

I'm looking forward to learning more about your fruits.  And to finally having a community to whom I can show a photo, tell you where I am, and say "so what's THIS one?"

not sure if you have had red jaboticaba before, but I would recommend putting your name on Flying Fox fruit's running list. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

catteau

• Newfoundland, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 24, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
Hi Gunnar429,

I saw the videos posted from Flying Fox about jaboticaba and pintangatuba, and I'm totally intrigued!  Went to their website and looked at all kinds of stuff (at least as much as I could, given the unreliable wifi here in Sierra Leone).  I also saw lots of other folks in the US posting from different places about all the things they are growing.  Now I want to take a long road trip, and visit everyone, and try all kinds of amazing fruits! 

I can't get fruit shipped to me (if that's what Flying Fox does, which seemed likely from their website) in Canada - there would be import issues and stuff.  And of course it won't grow in Newfoundland, not much does.  Well, except for cabbages and potatoes and turnips and rhubarb and, I'll admit, fabulous wild blueberries.  I'll just have to go visit them Flying Fox, though.

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • Bogor, West Java, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • duniabuahnusantara.blogspot.co.id
« Reply #1213 on: October 25, 2015, 06:12:18 AM »
Hello guys,
My name is Zulfikar Arsa, i am the tropical fruit farmer from Indonesia.

I cultivating some tropical fruit, such as Dragon fruit, Crystal Guava, Mutiara Guava, Deli Madu Guava, and the best indonesian fruits.

i hope you all can help me for get the new knowledge.

Thanks...

HMelendez

• Zone 10B-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 27, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »
Hi Everybody!

Cherimoya as in Anona cherimola?

Chirimoya (Cuba)....as a Red Annona Reticulata.....

Mangofique

• world-wide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: October 28, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
hi All,

I have recently joined as this seems to be a collectively interesting site. I am involved in tropical fruit production and European focused importation. I look forward to some interesting discussions.

regards,
Mp

Bless868

• bless
    • Trinidad. W.I 10N 61W
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 28, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Bless to all
I am John, have been growing exotics for many years with varying success and have always found helpful information directly related to the multitude of things that occur while growing so i have never needed to post questions for myself. now i want to share as well as i need some direct input so i wanted to be proper and introduce myself. thank you all forum members and mods for your contributions to the intrinsic and material value of our 14,000yr old hobby.
Give Thanks for Life

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 29, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »
Hello my name is Justin and I live in the Madison area of Wisconsin.  I've been coxing tropical and sub-tropical plants to grow here in zone 5 for the past two years.  I'm especially addicted to starting plants/trees from seed and as I work in the produce department of a local grocery store I have plenty of access to the more common stuff.  My addiction has really grown past the readily available stuff and I've been enjoying this forum for a while with out joining, but I have some serious questions of my own and I'm ready to bridge the gap.  My early jump into tropical fruit growing include a Kent seedling, an atemoya seedling, and some seed grown date palms (yes I realize I'll never see fruit from these guys).  Happy to join the community.

Willie

• Thailand, Chonburi, USDA 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:47 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Willie, 52 Years old, married since 11 years and living in Pattaya, Thailand.
I have bought 6 rai (1rai  = 1600 sqm) in Rayong where I plan to build my retirement place and off cause a garden with lots of exotic and for Thailand uncommon fruit trees.
I am always interested what kind of fruits are growing local in your gardens and if somebody wants a specimen for his garden, which is available in Thailand I'll help to get it.
Just let me know what is common and/or rare in your areas and we might can swap some favors.
I reckon it is always good if somebody goes to the local nursery and makes a direct choice, so we can assure that everyone gets only the best of the best..
By interest please send me a pm..

Cheers

Will

All men are equal but only the finest become seafarers

Dipteryxodorata

• USA, Chicago, IL, 5a
    • View Profile
Aaron
« Reply #1219 on: November 02, 2015, 03:06:28 AM »

Hey there everyone!

My name is Aaron, and many people call me the 'plant whisperer'. I'm sure that term has been used before, but I've grown to like it and respond to it. I'm currently living in Chicago, transitioning into Southwest Florida (Lee County).

Here are some of the species of plants which I am growing in my apartment in Chicago:

Vanillla planifolia
Piper nigrum
Piper longum
Cinnamomum tamala
Cinnamomum zeylanicum
Myristica fragrans
Synsepalum dulcificum
Pimenta dioica
Amomum kravanh
Averrhoa carambola
Banisteriopsis  caapi 'cielo'
Dipteryx odorata

That last species is a rare spice plant indigenous to the Orionco river basin in the Amazon. My uncle, who is a ship captain near Trinidad, was able to find these trees growing wild in the Trini forest, and after a year of failed germination techniques, I finally figured it out! I recently submitted seedlings to the Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens in Miami and the Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead. Fingers crossed they survive!

I have a culinary degree, but I'm currently trying to get my foot into the botanical world, with the goal of becoming an ethnobotanist. I'd like to discover new spices in the rainforests of India and Central America, and then share my knowledge and plant materials with the world. Wish me luck!

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: November 02, 2015, 03:28:24 AM »
Hello guys,
My name is Zulfikar Arsa, i am the tropical fruit farmer from Indonesia.

I cultivating some tropical fruit, such as Dragon fruit, Crystal Guava, Mutiara Guava, Deli Madu Guava, and the best indonesian fruits.

i hope you all can help me for get the new knowledge.

Thanks...
Wellcome to the forum!
Do you mostly grow guavas? What other fruittrees do you have in your collection?
Mike

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: November 02, 2015, 12:18:43 PM »
Dipteryxodorata,

Good luck with the move, your going to enjoy yourself much more down in FL then in IL. That is a nice big change especially when it comes to weather and what you can grow. Welcome to the forum.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Dennis_No_Frost

• San Diego 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 05, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am Dennis, I live in Escondido (parent's Place) and in Mira Mesa (my place).  I going to grow tropical plants that remember of the stuff I have growing up in Vietnam.  I currently just got Sapodilla, Mango (Kent), Lychee, Longan, Wax Jambu, and Cherimoya.  I want to get some scion woods and learn how to graft them on the different trees that I have.  If anyone in San Diego have scions or trees for sale let me know.  My parent place have a really tall and big avocado tree - looking forward to grafting as much varieties on it as I can. I would like to exchange but I don't have much if any base stock.  I will take freebies but prefer to pay something for your time and effort. 

Cheers,

Dennis

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: November 10, 2015, 05:52:55 AM »
hi! DimplesLee here from the Philippines - I actually grew up in Cairns QLD so I was pretty stoked to have a distant cousin sell us his old farm here in the boondocks of Albay province.

Unusual bananas - double mahoi, praying hands, ornamental types came with the farm - it was a weekend hobby place for him, as well as buddhas hand citrus (ailing!), kaffir, green and variagated oranges, limes, lemons, calamindins, pili nut trees, berbas, abiu, nonis, cherimoyas, sugar apples, various guavas, sour kamias and a sweet variety, a star fruit, seedless marangs, duhat, bignays, and a lot of other trees that seem to have lost their tags!

Also have to try to continue pruning various types of mango so they stay at a reasonable height, dwarf coconuts, cinnamon and criollo cacaos.

I had been reading up on TFF forum for a week now trying to get the basics of taking care of these trees - we are currently trying to stay ahead of the talahib - a clumping grass with very deep roots and sends runners everywhere, here in the tropics it grows up to 12 feet! it seems to be taller than every tree in the place... so not looking forward to cutting those talahib and possibly getting a surprised philippine cobra spitting at me!
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: November 14, 2015, 07:02:33 AM »
Welcome dimples,smelly wing,Willie and other new people to the forum. Willie you can swap good durian like chanthaburi 1 or laplae,top maprang and sala for good south american fruit seeds like jaboticabas, cambuca,abiu and Annonas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk