Author Topic: Grafted Rambutan and Pulasan  (Read 9593 times)

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
Grafted Rambutan and Pulasan
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
Whenever I heard "grafting" rambutan, I would laugh and walk away. But, I was clearly shocked to find out that all of the rambutan here on the farm I work for are all grafted, bud grafted to be exact. My boss explained that the trees would grow better and have a better root system then marcotted trees, which I unferstand. And the trees grow somewhat shorter and more stocky than a marcotted tree. As for the pulasan, examining my grandfathers trees, I noticed a weird marking in the bark, turns out these pulasans were grafted too! As I remember what Oscar stated in a old post (correct me if I'm wrong) that rambutan and mostly pulasan were hard to graft. These pulasans came from his long time friend master grafter David Frenz. Any input fellas?

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Grafted Rambutan and Pulasan
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
What I know from David Frenz, he mainly did grafting...chip I believe???  Wish we could get some of his plants over here.  Hard to graft yes...impossible for me.   :'(

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:19:08 PM »
Seems like a hard one to graft. I would like to see how it is done.

Where is the farm you work on? Need another fruit picker?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
If something is hard to graft then try approach grafting aka inarching. That's how i graft and it works many times.

I have a grafted pulasan from singapore but it grows terrible slow, even in the wet season. If a seedling can fruit in 3 years then i probably would been better of with that. In this pace my pulasan will still be small in 3 years time but at least it is grafted.

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
I am not sure if the trees were grafted here on the farm, my boss said a lot of the trees were actually purchased from an unknow nursery (the must've paid a lot, there thousands of trees). But I will see if I can get a picture for you guys of the rambutan out in the field.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
Whenever I heard "grafting" rambutan, I would laugh and walk away. But, I was clearly shocked to find out that all of the rambutan here on the farm I work for are all grafted, bud grafted to be exact. My boss explained that the trees would grow better and have a better root system then marcotted trees, which I unferstand. And the trees grow somewhat shorter and more stocky than a marcotted tree. As for the pulasan, examining my grandfathers trees, I noticed a weird marking in the bark, turns out these pulasans were grafted too! As I remember what Oscar stated in a old post (correct me if I'm wrong) that rambutan and mostly pulasan were hard to graft. These pulasans came from his long time friend master grafter David Frenz. Any input fellas?

Yes grafting pulasan and rambutan is difficult. Dr. Zee came up with bud grafting protocol that results in 85% takes. With approach grafting you can get 100% takes. But both can also be easily air layered. It doesn't make the trees any weaker than air layered lychees. And i'm sure all the lychees at your uncle's place are air layered? Strong winds and hurricanes not a problem here, so air layers are just fine.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »
Rambutans are easy to graft it is lychees that are difficult. Grafted trees grow bigger and faster at first than marcotted rambutans. Here grafted rambutans are more expensive.

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Yes Oscar, all the lychee and the longan are air layered.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
Oscar, are you offering to airlayer us all Pulasans for sale? Lol ... I'm only half joking :)

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
Rambutan and pulasan catch very easy by air lay ;) every air layer I made each one had roots within 3 months

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
At my farm/nursery we mostly air layer rambutan and pulusan and get a good result.  In Costa Rica grafted rambutan is commonly available and it is always cleft grafted.  With the exception of inarching I've never seen it grafted any other way here.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
Air layering is easy for these these species and you don't need rootstocks.One supplier of rambutan trees was selling air layered trees for (US) $28 and grafted for $38 and would sell mostly air layered trees until a cyclone came and then everyone wanted grafted ones.They said to me that grafting was better for mass production and the success rate was high.The 2011 cyclone Yasi knocked the business over.Seedling pulasan seem to grow true.

HawaiiFruitGrower

• Maui, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
I second that Mike. A family friend planted
 seedling pulasans and when the tree matured and began to produce, fruit was 85 % similar to mother tree

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »
We can get cleft grafted rambutan here for $25 or so. 
I know Juan has been making air layered pulasan grafts. 

I have a bunch of rambutan seedlings ready to go for approach grafting of a friends tree that produces 2-3 times a year.  I will try air layering that one too.

Pulasan seedlings seem so much more finicky, I never get more than about 5% that make it past 1 year.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »
I read here before that pulasans from seed will give male, female and hermapfrodites. What percentage of hermaphrodites did you guys get out of your seedlings?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
Seems to me that the amount of non-productive (male) pulusan seedlings is pretty low, maybe 20%.
I had an air layered rambutan break off just above ground level because another tree fell on it.  If it had been grafted it would have been a loss but the tree came back and, of course, it was still the select material.  I would think that a cyclone could also break the tree off like that.
It is possible to buy cleft grafted rambutan here for about $7.  I sell air layered ones for $9, usually in a 3 gallon pot.
Peter

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:47:27 PM »
Gwen, wow $25 for a grafted Rambutan.  I was quoted at almost double that for a grafted Rambutan from PR.  Eek.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 12:50:46 AM »
Oscar, are you offering to airlayer us all Pulasans for sale? Lol ... I'm only half joking :)

Already made a bunch for some forum members.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 12:52:45 AM »
Rambutans are easy to graft it is lychees that are difficult. Grafted trees grow bigger and faster at first than marcotted rambutans. Here grafted rambutans are more expensive.

Lychee is also easy if you use appropriate rootstock. For example use kaimana seeds as rootstock for kaimana. There are some compatibility problems in different cultivars of lychee.
Oscar

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »
Gwen, wow $25 for a grafted Rambutan.  I was quoted at almost double that for a grafted Rambutan from PR.  Eek.

The guy that grafts them is a guy that has a small nursery (he works at UPR TARS in Mayaguez where he gets his material).  But the grafter does not ship them.  I  believe the others resell his stuff. 

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
Oscar, I must've missed the Pulasan boat.  If you're ever airlayering more, and care to sell, then please tell me. :)

Gwen, the person quoting me for the grafted Rambutan is grafting himself, and has in the past sold me plants that were healthy and competitive in price, but the $45 seems steep compared a $25.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »

Gwen, the person quoting me for the grafted Rambutan is grafting himself, and has in the past sold me plants that were healthy and competitive in price, but the $45 seems steep compared a $25.

It could be another guy.  I know Juan  is grafting and selling large rambutan trees for $45, so yes, size matters and cost more.  The $25 ones I got this time  are much smaller and younger than last time - maybe 2 ft tall compared to Juan's 3-4 ft branched ready to bloom trees.

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »
Gwenn, That's a good point.  It could be close to fruiting for the price he quoted me.  I will request a photo, as I'm usually the "no, just send me the plant" kind of person ... p.s. I just realized I've been calling you "Gwen", but you've an extra n, I apologize for that.  My name's often mispelled.  I should've known better ...

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
Not a problem :-)  I answer to just about anything since my name is impossible for most Puerto Rican's to say!

Who are you working with for the tree? Brunner or ?
I am not aware of many people in PR grafting stuff  (which I need to know since I always seem to need more plants!) and that also ships.

Tropicaliste

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »
If only Mr. Brunner would graft. Lol I must've badgered him, politely, to graft more, but he seems busy.  We should start a campaign. :)

Sent you an email.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk