Author Topic: Rubus nubigenus / Rubus macrocarpus: Giant Columbian Blackberry  (Read 2125 times)

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
Rubus nubigenus / Rubus macrocarpus: Giant Columbian Blackberry
« on: September 18, 2018, 06:26:54 AM »
Does anyone know a source of the Giant Columbian Blackberry (Rubus nubigenus / Rubus macrocarpus) ? Pr does anyone cultivates it in his garden / greenhouse? I am interested in fresh fruits, seeds and also ofshoots.
Thank you for every helpful response!
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: Rubus nubigenus / Rubus macrocarpus: Giant Columbian Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »
I don’t know of any sources for it (I was interested myself some time back), but I do have info.

I also found this document in spanish, detailing its prospects as a crop in its native area:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxmdW5kYWNpb25hZ3JvZGl2YXxneDoxYTg5M2NmZDAwZjlhN2Vm

Apparently fresh consumption of R. nubigenus (a hexaploid species) is limited by its large seeds, but it’s good for processing, with a similar flavor to R. glaucus (the major commercialized species of Lampobatus in South America). I don’t remember where I read this, but I’ve read that R. glaucus is considered on par with the better blackberry hybrids, with a loganberry-like mix of raspberry and blackberry flavor.

I basically quoted my own post from another forum, but it’s all I could find, so I hope it’s useful.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
Thank you for your post and infomration. I have found your old post some time before and already seen the interesting report about R. nubigenus from 1920. But I did not know the newer reort from 2017 - so thanks a lot for this link - with this Report the first time I have seen this plant and the fruit in colur! I will Keep on searching dor it an Keep you informed if I will dind it one day. Concerning the size of the grains...I can imagine that eatin of raw fruit with great grains is not so comofrtable and agreeable - I made a similar experience by eating the Claoudberry (Rubus chamaemorus)  the grains in the Pulp can be really a uncomfartble by eating the fruit....- common Rubus fruits like Blackberries or Rhaspberries do not show such a problem! But the Pulp can be separated from the grains of course. We will keep staying in contact concerning this item, okay?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:38:46 AM by usirius »

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
Okay then, we’ll keep each other posted.  :)

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 03:51:53 PM »
Yes, of course we will do so ;-)