Author Topic: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...  (Read 64078 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Decided to Plant my Maha Chanok...
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
I assumed, based on my reading and observation of MC seeds, that all MC seeds were mono, thus there could only be one MC grown from seed, the original.

That's correct. There are not 'multiple varieties' of Maha Chanok anymore than there are 'multiple varieties' of Haden or Kent.

I agree, what I meant by multiple varieties is that it's likely that some are not the same Mahachanok and may be either budsports or seedlings that were close enough but are called Mahachanok. Thailand is known for planting seeds and then calling it the same cultivar. Due to the many different introductions of Mahachanok into the US from Thailand over a 20 or so year period, it is very possible that some are not the same exact mango but are very similar so the older the introduction, the more likely it is to be the actual cultivar.

A good way to test this theory would be to multigraft Excalibur's Mahachanok and Harry's Mahachanok onto the same rootstock and compare. Individual rootstocks may influence the tree so multigrafting is the way to go.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
"What variety mango is that beautiful bushy tree in the background?"

Fisher, its my Glenn...the one that Powdery Mildew devasted and what the few left the "freeze" nailed  >:( :'(...here's a better picture.

"Ensey's has mangos available now?"

Grassflats, sorry I got that Maha mango last year (Sept.)

Thats horrible, but on a positive the tree is beautiful. Hopefully a milder winter and less PM this next season will let that beauty perform. How old is it?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
This reminds me of the manila mango. I've had half of dozen manila varieties, whatever you want to call it, with their own unique characteristics
There is manila veracruzano, yucateco, blanca, manilita mango Filipino  and others I forgot. Here is Leo's Thai mahachanok which I'll call mahachanita

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Do we know if Leo's was obtained as a grafted tree, a seedling tree, a tree from a seed he planted or budwood he obtained and grafted?  I ask this cause the shape of the fruit look slightly off from Excalibur's Mahachanok and other pictures of Mahachanok i have seen. 

Harry - we need your 2 cents here...
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »
OK....you asked for my two cents.  Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion.  MC is absolutely mono-embryonic.  The three seedlings that I have fruited are very different from the parent and very different from each other.  The seeds are generally underdeveloped and many or even most lack vigor and will not even produce a tree worth growing.  So I really think it is unlikely that anyone would purposely plant out seeds of this cultivar in a commercial setting.  So I think that variability is most probably a root-stock and general growing culture issue as relates to different growth habits of the trees and fruit characteristic variations.  Of course I cannot exclude the possibility of limb sport or the propagation in Thailand of a similar looking mango that they labelled MC even though it wasn't truly the same genetically, but only looked similar.  I don't know the source of Excalibur's grafted trees so I cannot comment on that.  Their trees, while initially mis-labelled and named at the nursery, do appear to be the real thing from the look of the trees and fruit that I have seen.

Regarding Leo's tree in California, I do not know if he has had more than one source that he has grafted from but I can verify that he was sent grafting material of the real thing many years ago by some crazy mango nut here in Florida.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »
OK....you asked for my two cents.  Let me see if I can clear up some of the confusion.  MC is absolutely mono-embryonic.  The three seedlings that I have fruited are very different from the parent and very different from each other.  The seeds are generally underdeveloped and many or even most lack vigor and will not even produce a tree worth growing.  So I really think it is unlikely that anyone would purposely plant out seeds of this cultivar in a commercial setting.  So I think that variability is most probably a root-stock and general growing culture issue as relates to different growth habits of the trees and fruit characteristic variations.  Of course I cannot exclude the possibility of limb sport or the propagation in Thailand of a similar looking mango that they labelled MC even though it wasn't truly the same genetically, but only looked similar.  I don't know the source of Excalibur's grafted trees so I cannot comment on that.  Their trees, while initially mis-labelled and named at the nursery, do appear to be the real thing from the look of the trees and fruit that I have seen.

Regarding Leo's tree in California, I do not know if he has had more than one source that he has grafted from but I can verify that he was sent grafting material of the real thing many years ago by some crazy mango nut here in Florida.

Thank you Harry for the clarification.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »

Harry, you mention a mis-labelling of the Mahachanok at Excalibur.  I believe what you are referring to, and correct me if I am wrong, is it was originally labeled “Mahachanole” and subsequently named “Mahachanois”.   I could go on about why these odd names were used (and still may be referred to by some) but while its kind of amusing its not really worth it. 
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 02:38:19 PM »
Harry, you mention a mis-labelling of the Mahachanok at Excalibur.  I believe what you are referring to, and correct me if I am wrong, is it was originally labeled “Mahachanole” and subsequently named “Mahachanois”.   I could go on about why these odd names were used (and still may be referred to by some) but while its kind of amusing its not really worth it.

You would be absolutely correct about both misnomers. The good news....a mango which is in fact the Maha......by any other name, smells as sweet and tastes as good.  :)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
A ripe "Excalibur" Mahachanok.

- Rob

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
I have two Mahachanok that are the same age, both from Excalibur,  and they have two distinct different growth habits.  As i said above, rootstock can make a huge difference.
Rob:
How about some pictures of the trees to illustrate the difference?
Richard

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »

You would be absolutely correct about both misnomers. The good news....a mango which is in fact the Maha......by any other name, smells as sweet and tastes as good.  :)

The original trees at Excalibur from Thailand were labeled correctly as Mahachanok, but when grafted the person made the letter k into an "le". The k was was rounded. I remember the original tags.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »

The original trees at Excalibur from Thailand were labeled correctly as Mahachanok, but when grafted the person made the letter k into an "le". The k was was rounded. I remember the original tags.

...and then in graftings subsequent to the "le" debacle, the k became an "is".
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »

Will the real Mahachanok please stand up.  Yep.....those look pretty authentic to me.  They are just like mine.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »

Will the real Mahachanok please stand up.  Yep.....those look pretty authentic to me.  They are just like mine.

Yall act like yall never seen Mahachanok before
Excalibur burst through door
Said "hey we got em store"
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2015, 04:47:17 PM »

*bsbullie shuffles through papers looking for an urban handbook*

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:26:51 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »
- Rob

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »
There is a difference between zills and excalibur because I own both of them and can see the difference. Sorry Rob, you are not always right. Most times you are right, but sometimes you may not know for sure but write as if you do.

The Mahachanok that Zill's propagates is from Excalibur if I remember correctly. The difference you are referring to is likely due to rootstock differences.

With that being said, there are possibly multiple Mahachanok clones due to different introduction times and sources from Thailand but the Zills, Excalibur, and TopTropicals are all the same.
Thanks! That is great news! I never knew the origin of zills, so I am glad that when this big one fruits it should be same as my older one from excalibur, that fruit is excellent and super productive.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »

Harry here is Leo's Florida mahachanok graft. Picture take by Tim in 2012 tour. This is different than his original Mahachanok which came from a Thai source.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3188.0

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »
There is a difference between zills and excalibur because I own both of them and can see the difference. Sorry Rob, you are not always right. Most times you are right, but sometimes you may not know for sure but write as if you do.

The Mahachanok that Zill's propagates is from Excalibur if I remember correctly. The difference you are referring to is likely due to rootstock differences.

With that being said, there are possibly multiple Mahachanok clones due to different introduction times and sources from Thailand but the Zills, Excalibur, and TopTropicals are all the same.
Thanks! That is great news! I never knew the origin of zills, so I am glad that when this big one fruits it should be same as my older one from excalibur, that fruit is excellent and super productive.

Hmmm...seems i said this and i was called a ------------ who didnt know what i was talking about.  You should listen to me on these things as i know a lot more than you think.

mod edit: Post was reported for foul language in Discussion section.  Profanity removed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:24:52 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Harry here is Leo's Florida mahachanok graft. Picture take by Tim in 2012 tour. This is different than his original Mahachanok which came from a Thai source.

Did I miss it or is there no picture of the Maha he sourced from Thailand?  I have to say that when he was sent the Florida sourced material, he did not have it in his collection from any other source at that point as far as what he said at the time.  Its a long time ago and memories can fade over time.  In any case, if he sourced more material after or before directly from Thailand, then my previous (not precious as I wrote incorrectly prior to this edit) comments would still apply regarding observed differences. Are there any pictures of this different looking alleged Maha fruit or tree?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:03:16 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »

*bsbullie shuffles through papers looking for an urban handbook*

Old school classic that HMHausman referenced to with parody I also added... "would the  real slim shady please stand up"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:27:12 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
I see a mod woke up and did some ridiculous editing... seriously considering deleting my account.  The rest of the members are far better off getting piss poor information from people who dont know a mango from their, oh wait, cant say that word, children may be reading.  Ridiculous that words that can be commonly heard on primetime network television cannot be heard on a blog.

Please tell me, what is an urban handbook?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:23:28 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2015, 11:30:51 PM »

Did I miss it or is there no picture of the Maha he sourced from Thailand?  I have to say that when he was sent the Florida sourced material, he did not have it in his collection from any other source at that point as far as what he said at the time.  Its a long time ago and memories can fade over time.  In any case, if he sourced more material after or before directly from Thailand, then my precious comments would still apply regarding observed differences. Are there any pictures of this different looking alleged Maha fruit or tree?

here is Leo's Thai Maha fruit and tree

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2015, 04:40:08 AM »
That's the fruit that I mentioned looked pointed. now looking at it further, it also looks fatter and the shape of the seed is different.  Leos seed is C shaped while Robs seed is S shaped.  To me it does not look like the the MC that Harry and Rob have referenced and that i have planted. But maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe its a Maha Cha Not. Patrick bought one from Ebay.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:17:58 AM by jc »
JC

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:10 AM »
I see a mod woke up and did some ridiculous editing... seriously considering deleting my account.  The rest of the members are far better off getting piss poor information from people who dont know a mango from their, oh wait, cant say that word, children may be reading.  Ridiculous that words that can be commonly heard on primetime network television cannot be heard on a blog.

Please tell me, what is an urban handbook?

Thicker skin buddy.  I only was responding to a couple complaints.  I should have changed it to "Urban Dictionary", that actually exists.  You are a wealth of knowledge and I would hate to see you go over something so petty.  I didn't change the content of your post, just two words.  And in fairness to you the term "ebonics" isn't racist and its definition actually appears in the Websters Dictionary.  And you can state that most of us don't know our "ass" from a mango.  Just not ass*&%$, that actually is forbidden on network TV and is somehow considered more offensive.  As for those who sent me the complaints, feel free to chime in if you feel offended.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:21 AM »
That's the fruit that I mentioned looked pointed. now looking at it further, it also looks fatter and the shape of the seed is different.  Leos seed is C shaped while Robs seed is S shaped.  To me it does not look like the the MC that Harry and Rob have referenced and that i have planted. But maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe its a Maha Cha Not. Patrick bought one from Ebay.

My Mahachanot is just an NDM, even splits like my Florida sourced NDM#4.  I paid $100 for a one gallon NDM that I had to spend hours nursing back to health from the bare rooting process! The good news is I have turned it into a Lemon Zest/Pineapple Pleasure/Sunrise/Ugly Betty/Sweet Tart/Mahachanot raising the value substantially.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk