Author Topic: Coconut Cream Mango: Genuine or Counterfeit?  (Read 23824 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut Cream Mango: Genuine or Counterfeit?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »

For me, the LZ has been extremely non-precocious (not sure that the antonym of precocious is :-). Cold (ie, stress) will induce precocity though. I'm just barely getting a crop on my oldest LZ trees, which were planted in 2011 ... ;-).

Coco cream started producing very early on, but I don't think a mango tree will really show what it's capable of until it's mature. So, I hold off on evaluation until a tree is 6+ years old.

Both my Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest mango trees will have been in ground 4 years this summer.  They are planted adjacent to one another and were planted on the same day.  My experience with the two trees has been quite different in regards to growth habit and production. 

Both trees have been strong growers, adding a nice amount of canopy size and trunk thickness over the 3 1/2 year period in the ground.  As others have stated, there is a stark contrast in growth habit.  The LZ is an upright grower, and the first 2 years in the ground I tipped it every flush or two.  The CC has a very "weeping" habit, and I have removed branches many times in an attempt to keep it off of the ground.  Almost the exact opposite pruning method with this tree when compared to other mango trees. Keep the vertical growth, and remove the lateral or downward growth.  It was a struggle to get the canopy up. 

Last season, My LZ turned into a machine, bringing 30 or more fruit to maturity.  Very nice haul for a 3 year old tree.  The load was large enough to keep that vertical habit in check, and I did not prune it at all.  This year, it is loaded up with a strong load of fruit which set in 2 waves. It is now flowering again on any remaining terminals that had not yet set.  It is looking to be a banner year for a tree that will be in ground only 4 years this summer.  Fantastic tree.

Last season My CC flowered well, but only set 3 fruit.  Of those 3, only 1 survived the lawn man's assault via mower.  Disappointing especially when compared to the LZ, but it is still a young tree, so no big deal, it needs time.  This year the set seems to be much improved.  It's still early and there are plenty of flowers just now pushing.  Another interesting note is that a young/tebow ( 5 years in ground) tree that I top worked with CC ( directly adjacent to these two) has a very nice CC fruit set.  10 or so golf ball sized CC's, a bunch of pencil eraser sized, and any remaining terminal branch is pushing flowers. 

Anyway, thats how the two compare in my yard. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2015, 10:06:48 AM »
I have noticed on my trees, and trees of others in varying locations in Palm Beach County, the following :

Lemon Zest
It shows as being precocious to very precocious.   It flowers heavy and sets fruit heavy and holds a good percentage to maturity as a young tree, starting mainly at age three but even a little at age 2.  It grows as a vigorous upright grower.  I have viewed this in areas of the County from Boynton Beach to West Palm Beach,  from East of Seacrest to just East of 441.

Coconut Cream
It shows as being not as precocious in terms of production.   It does flower heavily but trees less than 4 years in the ground do not show a propensity to hold fruit to maturity. I have viewed much older trees and fruit set was impressive, with the numbrr of fruit held to maturity increasing over the last few years.  I, personally,  consumed at least 50 Coconut Cream fruit from one tree and thatvwas in no way all of the fruit the tree produced.

My summary, while some varieties may be precocious,  some may not. That does not make any variety a bad or poor variety,  it means that patience may be required for certain varieties.   It is not uncommon for a variety to need to be a mature or somewhat mature tree before it produces.   I would hold off judgment till in ground trees have been literally in ground for at least 7 years.  This is not just for the ZHPP new releases but foe all varieties,  new and old.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 07:59:54 PM »
Today I counted the mangoes hanging on my coconut cream -- there are over 50 that are golf ball size or larger. If the ones that set from this last bloom hold (currently bb to thumbnail sized), I'll be well north of 60.

It's not going to compete with a glenn in terms of production, but 60+ mangoes on a 4-5 year old tree is pretty darn good if you ask me.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:14 PM »
Today I counted the mangoes hanging on my coconut cream -- there are over 50 that are golf ball size or larger. If the ones that set from this last bloom hold (currently bb to thumbnail sized), I'll be well north of 60.

It's not going to compete with a glenn in terms of production, but 60+ mangoes on a 4-5 year old tree is pretty darn good if you ask me.

Especially for a Coconut Cream of that age (wasn't its release in spring of 2011?).
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 11:11:59 AM »
Yep. Pretty sure it was spring of 11. I got mine the day they were released and planted it a few days later :-). So, age from seed is about 5 years. Age from 3 gal is 4 years.

Especially for a Coconut Cream of that age (wasn't its release in spring of 2011?).
Jeff  :-)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:44 AM »
Slight derail but my three year old Pineapple Pleasure is holding about 40 mangoes that are about the size of a half dollar. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:24 AM »
Slight derail but my three year old Pineapple Pleasure is holding about 40 mangoes that are about the size of a half dollar.

I know where I will be visiting in July...
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk