Author Topic: Palm Beach Rare Fruit Tree Fruit Sale March 28, 2015  (Read 12412 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Palm Beach Rare Fruit Tree Fruit Sale March 28, 2015
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »
From what I understand, this sale is tomorrow.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:11 AM »
From what I understand, this sale is tomorrow.

You sir, are correct...then again, the title of the thread soes say March 28.   ;)
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
Who went, and what did you bring home?  What else was there?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 02:13:42 AM »

Many people, trees and fertilizer.    ;)
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »

Many people, trees and fertilizer.    ;)

Yeah, I know.  I had to work and wanted to experience it vicariously.
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »
I meant to buy fertilizer, but forgot.  This is the first year I didn't buy any plants. No yard space, but I still would have been tempted if they had lots and lots of rare (for Florida) loquat varieties.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some Edgar mango trees.  Also, mango trees called OBO (or best offer?).  Perhaps a misprint, or maybe I missed out on the ultimate, Best Mango Ever.

A nice couple asked me if Dot was a trouble-free, work-free tree. I said there was no such thing, but pointed them toward Beverly as a reasonable compromise. There were probably some better suggestions, but our fearless forum administrator was busy helping others at the time.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
Thanks, Dan.  Yes, loquat--that's what I'm looking for these days.  The guy in WPB with his "Supreme" loquat, what do you think? 

Were the new Zill varieties to be found, like Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:50:04 AM by johnb51 »
John

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »
I understand that Har's new recommended fertilizer blends were on sale? I wish I would have know that his speech was going to materialize into products at the sale.  I used the first batch of the custom blend I bought from Nurserymen's SureGro and was impressed with the quality of the granules, they looked like candy pellets and had no odor at all.  I would still like to get a couple hundred pounds of the mix that has no nitrogen that he recommended.  Did they have a large supply at the show?  Does anyone know if they will sell it at the PBRFC meetings?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:51 AM »
Yes, fertilizer was for sale at the show.  Also heard a number of complaints by individuals doing subsequent shopping at the prices.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 09:39:30 AM »
Thanks, Dan.  Yes, loquat--that's what I'm looking for these days.  The guy in WPB with his "Supreme" loquat, what do you think? 

Were the new Zill varieties to be found, like Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart?

Yes, most to all of the released ZHPP varieties were being sold at the show.
- Rob

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:27 AM »
With fertilizer you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap you don't get all the minors.
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »
With fertilizer you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap you don't get all the minors.

You should know what you are talking about before posting.  I suggest you review the minor package in Excalibur's 8-3-9 (and yes, theirs is different than other 8-3-9s).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:50:40 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
I heard the two mixes other than the 8-3-9 were sold for $30?  Where they slow release with a good minor package?? Not made with sewage sludge?  The stuff I bought cost me $35/50lbs and is made with sulfate sourced elements, a wide range of minors, and no sewage sludge fillers.  It literally has no smell at all and no dust when you toss is.  The 8-3-9 sold by PBRFC is made with sewage sludge filler and has a good percentage of dust that blows in the air when you apply it.  You do get what you pay for when it comes to fertilizers, especially when you plan on eating the fruit you grow.  There are tons of contaminants in sewage sludge, and the only thing that's printed on the fertilizers label is what is intentionally added not the entire make up.  I am interested to hear sources of high grade fertilizer that sells for less that $30/50lbs? I can understand the general public "price shopping", but actual "Rare Fruit Tree" collectors would want to take it up a notch in quality no?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »
I cannot comment directly on the pricing at the show but one shopper said the two new blends were priced differently for the two new mixes. 

As i stated. Excalibur's 8-3-9 was different than the PBCRFC's 8-3-9.  I k ow you are going to defend  the new fertilizer but i am just telling you what a lot of customers have been saying since the new blends were first proposed.

Now, with your comments as to who will use it and what you consume, what about all the people who have been using all different types of blends from different suppliers?  What about the peopme who will not make the drive or pah ghe price for the new blends (whether truly better or not).  What aboug the people putting down all types of supplements and chemicals.  Are you trashing all these people?

I have recently heard a lot of crap about the PBCRFC that wohld make me not think too highly of the group.  Keep in mi d, what one person of the group does on behalf of the group is a direct reflection of the group as a whole.
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »
I'm not putting anyone down.  I have used all types of blended fertilizers and I was led to believe they were all "perfect formulations" for use with fruit trees.  Any group or business selling fruit tree fertilizer should educate and only provide formulations that safely provide the necessary nutrients setting the cost standard accordingly.  Being in the service industry I am very concerned with the "value" of a product.  I am only advocating the new blends (of which I have sourced my own supply) because of the clear benefits.  Actually if cost is an issue you can get a product directly comparable to the "old standard" from Helena Chemical in bulk for about $14/50lbs.

No sludge (substantially less contaminants)
Slow release (benefits the trees and ecosystem)
High quality sources of elements
Individual mixes for specific applications

As for the PBRFC, I am a member in good standing.  I admit I only attend a couple meetings a year based on speaker content and don't get involved much.  I have gained more information from associations here than I ever have from the council.  Its more of a politically driven social club at times, but every group has its issues.  Its very beneficial to our general public and for our area is the only group of this type I am familiar with.  I support the group and hope to one day be more involved.

Does anyone know if any more will be available?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:16:15 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »
To each their own.  I am not trying to make this a pissing contest.  While I am not involved and not a member (yes, social driven and a load of BS) as a past member of couty RFCs, I would not chose to be a member again.  On the other hand, I do hear a lot of crap from actual members and it is a social joke.  Are there some with great knowledge, yes.  Do they jhave some great speakers, yes...but I believe you do not need to be a member to attend.

Back to the fertilizer, you say an all inclusive slow release is better...some disagree, especially for young trees.  Jonathan Crane for one (from his publication for Annonas):

"During the first 2 to 3 years after planting, growing a strong, vigorous tree is the goal (Table3). It is recommended that any fruit that sets during the first year or so be removed so that the tree will grow vigorously. After the third year, the emphasis changes to cultural practices that enhance flowering, fruit set, and fruit development. These include reduced frequency of N-P2O5-K2O applications and close attention to irrigation from flowering to harvest during prolonged dry periods.

Fertilizer recommendations are based on experience and observation. Frequent applications of small amounts of nitrogen-containing fertilizer and watering during the growing season when there are prolonged dry periods is recommended (Table 2). After the third year, trees will begin to bear fruit and the strategy is to reduce the number of applications of nitrogen-containing fertilizer. Minor element sprays to the foliage should contain magnesium, zinc, and manganese (some also contain boron, molybdenum and iron). Foliar sprays are most efficient from April to September.

Young trees should be fertilized with a complete fertilizer every six to eight weeks during the growing season. A complete fertilizer is a fertilizer containing a source of nitrogen (N), phosphate (P), and potassium (K) (many also contain a source of magnesium, Mg). By-convention fertilizer formulas are written as the percentage of nitrogen (N), phosphate (P2O5), and potassium oxide (K2O) (e.g., 6-8-9, 6% nitrogen, 8% phosphate and 9% potassium oxide). Acceptable mixtures include 6-6-6 or 8-3-9 or some similar material. Suitable fertilizer formulations for sugar apple include 2-8-8, 4-8-8, 6-6-6-3 or 8-3-9-5 or similar materials. Frequent applications at low rates will provide a more constant nutrient supply and reduce the potential for leaching of nutrients beyond the roots due to heavy rainfall."

Also, as I stated, 8-3-9 can be purchased from different sources however the makeup should be different as Excalibur's blend is cutomed ordered and supposed to be different in the minor element package contained within.  Like I said, Excalibur's 8-3-9 was or was supposed to be different when compared to what the PBCRFC's 8-3-9 they most recently sold.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
The new blends are:

8-3-12 and 0-3-16

The new formulations are supposed to be made with substances that decrease pH of soil (increasing acidity) because most fruit trees prefer acidic soil, which can help in nutrient absorption.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »
I am looking for several Avocado varieties and I am having a hard time locating suitable sources.

Its a bit of a flight for me....

what varieties are you looking for?  Frankie's no more?  Oahu closer than florida.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:17 PM »
I rest my case! Fair enough. (Is there any left of the new blends?)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:58:18 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

Rashumble7

• Palm beach gardens, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 06:06:50 PM »
Darn it, I can't believe I missed it again

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
I am looking for several Avocado varieties and I am having a hard time locating suitable sources.

Its a bit of a flight for me....

what varieties are you looking for?  Frankie's no more?  Oahu closer than florida.

I have all the varieties offered by frankies and oscar.  I am looking for things like lula, brogden, etc I have a link in my footer to what I have and what I am looking for.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:06 AM »
I meant to buy fertilizer, but forgot.  This is the first year I didn't buy any plants. No yard space, but I still would have been tempted if they had lots and lots of rare (for Florida) loquat varieties.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some Edgar mango trees.  Also, mango trees called OBO (or best offer?).  Perhaps a misprint, or maybe I missed out on the ultimate, Best Mango Ever.

A nice couple asked me if Dot was a trouble-free, work-free tree. I said there was no such thing, but pointed them toward Beverly as a reasonable compromise. There were probably some better suggestions, but our fearless forum administrator was busy helping others at the time.

Yes, I remember seeing you when I was helping some people but by the time I was finished I didn't see you so I didn't get a chance to say hi.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk