Author Topic: Grafting was fun, until....  (Read 2008 times)

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
Grafting was fun, until....
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:39 PM »
....I dropped my grafting knife out my pouch and cut my foot open.  Thinking its not that bad I kept grafting mangos, until I looked down later and noticed a small pool of blood. Not sure if the fungicide on the knife helped or not, but it stung like heck till it got some neosporin.

I guess steel toed boots are in order now for serious grafting.  ;D

But seriously, I wish I had gotten into this sooner. Its much more enjoyable than I imagined. I actually enjoy giving grafted things away as much as keeping them for myself.  Lately its been a habit to horde seeds to grow rootstocks to graft and give away excess trees.

I have been using my shear pouch, pockets and a milk crate to carry all my grafting goods around between trees and pots in the nursery. I think I may switch to a set of carpenter bags. Anyone use anything similar?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting was fun, until....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »

This is a bag I use for top working mango trees.  I put it together because my daughter and wife got tired of handing me my supplies to my military like commands.  It works perfect.  I have two plastic bags inside the pouch, one with alcohol pads, the other with rubber strips.  I also throw in a good sharpie and some nursery tags loose in the bag.  The electrical tape pouch in the front works perfect for buddy tape.  The felco pouch clips on the side and I added a tina knife in front of that.  For small jobs the felcos and grafting knife are fine. Be careful!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »
I think sleepdoc did something like this a couple years ago and had to go to the ER.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
I think sleepdoc did something like this a couple years ago and had to go to the ER.

Yeah he cut his thigh if I remember correctly. Let me see if I can find the post.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:14 PM »
He was using one of those crazy all in one tools! Dropped it right into his leg. I believe it was right after Sheehan's group order from Frankie's Hawaii.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2179032/arka-neelkiran-from-frankies-order
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:03:01 PM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
Quote from the Univ. of California booklet "Propagating Avocados":

"Even among professional propagators, few remain long unscarred."