Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 172057 times)

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #550 on: January 14, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »
I'm out in Mt Crosby.  How big is yours currently?  How long has it been in the ground?  All 4 of my Luc's are currently in 35L grow bags (same with some other Garcinias).  All my other trees I dig in compost then mound up.  For my Lamb-Hass Avo spot I ran into rock at 60cm so I dug into the mountain slope with a jack hammer to create a giant 3.5x3.5.x1.5 hole with an underground drainage trench then back-filled with good soil.  Just trying to figure out if I need to do the same thing for my Luc-babies.  I may terrace them up the hill with good soil this time.  Don't think my neighbours appreciated 10 days of suburban mining.

where are you Brizzy? Perhaps not too far from me (Greenbank). I grow one here that has full sun for about half the day. I protected it completely for the first few months and have slowly reduced it. Extra sun hasn’t seemed to impact it at all. I mounded to get it above my compacted rubbish.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #551 on: January 14, 2020, 09:31:19 PM »
Mines only small and came from RG (his is further along and so can give you better info). It’s about 40cm tall and wide and was planted in March last year. It has only flushed once since then and looks about ready to go again. I plant everything high and let them grow into the native soil. If I dug big holes here the drainage ditches would need to be perfect or I would just make ponds.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:41:49 PM by Ulfr »

Chad

• Lake Illawarra, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 25, 2020, 01:56:19 AM »
I'm growing one in a 35L bonsai bag. I let nature throw whatever it wants at it. New leaves did get partially burned two days ago when it was 41C.
I received it from Daley's in Feb 2016, situated at Lake Illawarra, NSW.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 25, 2020, 03:54:52 AM »
Mine grew exact 5 cm in 15 months...2 tiny yellow leaves and 2 normal sized yellow leaves....so happy with it. ::)

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 25, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
I bought the seeds  from Raul last year.  There are 3 of them in this picture in my front porch without any protection other than a big palm tree over it.  Please excuse the dog poop. My dog has been lazy and has been pooping inside the house due to the cold outdoor.  I'm using it as fertilizer.

There are 4 plants inside the greenhouse that are double the size of these outdoor.   so so so slow growth. It's like watching turtle  moving around.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:44:00 AM by knlim000 »

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2020, 07:27:19 AM »
I'm growing one in a 35L bonsai bag. I let nature throw whatever it wants at it. New leaves did get partially burned two days ago when it was 41C.

Damn, burnt at 41C! that doesn't bode well for me and our 50C (122F) summers   :-\

I have been growing mine (Got seeds from Oscar) since August 2018 indoors. They are still very small but with large leaves that are so pretty.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »

Damn, burnt at 41C! that doesn't bode well for me and our 50C (122F) summers   :-\

I have been growing mine (Got seeds from Oscar) since August 2018 indoors. They are still very small but with large leaves that are so pretty.

I had one in full sun all day in 41 and it didn't burn. It also won't grow while the temp is  25-35 celcius continue.

Chad

• Lake Illawarra, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 26, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »
Mine has been putting out new growth all summer. I could have brought it inside but I'm lazy.

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 26, 2020, 10:27:14 PM »

I had one in full sun all day in 41 and it didn't burn. It also won't grow while the temp is  25-35 celcius continue.

Then what temperatures does it need to grow?
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 27, 2020, 05:08:01 AM »

Then what temperatures does it need to grow?

I have no idea, my tree gets everything the best but just won't grow and looks bad.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 27, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
We planted 200 seeds sourced from Luc in June of 2017.  I have been able to find around 100 of them but there are probably more that I have not found.  Slow and steady nothing seems to kill them except fermented foliar sprays like bokashi leachate or fermented milk, when young, it doesn’t bother larger Garcinias.  They even like our high ph calcium carbonate water that other acid loving plants dislike.  With our improved soil health and wet weather we have completely stopped watering.  Hopefully this will continue.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:15:31 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 27, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
We planted 200 seeds sourced from Luc in June of 2017.  I have been able to find around 100 of them but there are probably more that I have not found.  Slow and steady nothing seems to kill them except fermented foliar sprays like bokashi leachate or fermented milk, when young, it doesn’t bother larger Garcinias.  They even like our high ph calcium carbonate water that other acid loving plants dislike.  With our improved soil health and wet weather we have completely stopped watering.  Hopefully this will continue.

Yours is the same size as mine which is 4 years old now...

I remember Luc stating that they can fruit in 5 years....mine will be 25 cm tall next year (1 feet)...i hope.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 09, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
Picked up this nice Luc's from forum friend, Wonderfruit. THANK YOU! Going in ground soon, although I'm thinking this old bucket has worked wonders.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 09, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Just a guess but I'd say the tap root has taken one or two trips around the bottom of that bucket.
Do share what you find when you put in the ground.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8707.msg347982#msg347982

By the way, I up potted one more time and had to remove roots again.  I put it in the ground shortly after that and it has started to push new growth but not on my grafted branch.  I intend to get some more scions and give it a go again.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 05:38:29 PM by Orkine »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 10, 2020, 01:38:48 PM »
Had really good flower production on mine this fall.

Jeff  :-)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 10, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Wow Jeff, nice bloom action!

Here's that taproot Orkine. Roots were wrapped around a coconut.

A place to grow

In the foreground is another Luc's that has struggled since transplant. Hoping for a comeback!

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #566 on: February 10, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
Jeff,

It seems to me these trees either produce mostly male or mostly female flowers. I didn't look at every flower in your pics but I did not see any females. Were your previous blooms mostly male? I have 3 flowering trees and, so far, all the blooms have been female. Last bloom, I finally got a few male flowers along with 95% female on one tree and that tree is holding a few fruit.

Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 10, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
Seems to vary. That flowering gave me around 30 fruits, didn't pay attention to male vs female blooms. But I have noted occasions where male flowers dominated.

I used to have a lot of fruit drop, but the issue appears to have been boron deficiency.

Jeff,

It seems to me these trees either produce mostly male or mostly female flowers. I didn't look at every flower in your pics but I did not see any females. Were your previous blooms mostly male? I have 3 flowering trees and, so far, all the blooms have been female. Last bloom, I finally got a few male flowers along with 95% female on one tree and that tree is holding a few fruit.

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 10, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »
Dear Jeff
is it seedling or grafting?

Seems to vary. That flowering gave me around 30 fruits, didn't pay attention to male vs female blooms. But I have noted occasions where male flowers dominated.

I used to have a lot of fruit drop, but the issue appears to have been boron deficiency.

Jeff,

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 10, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »
Wow. I'm years away from that- if I'm lucky  ;D. Impressive. And congrats.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 10, 2020, 08:35:02 PM »
Seedling, somewhere north of 10 years old at this point.

Dear Jeff
is it seedling or grafting?

Jeff,

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 10, 2020, 10:28:33 PM »
Any opinions on full sun/part shade/full shade? Also do these grow more wide than tall like Achachairu?

I'm too scared to put any in the ground as I don't want to lose them!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 10, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »
Mine thrives in full sun. I have some smaller ones that do quite well in shade. They are pretty hardy. Growth habit is pretty typical of the garcianias.

Any opinions on full sun/part shade/full shade? Also do these grow more wide than tall like Achachairu?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #573 on: February 11, 2020, 02:18:48 AM »

Doesn't get wide like achachairu. Tree is shaped like pine tree.
Oscar

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 11, 2020, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll go ahead and plant my largest one (~2.5ft) now. Full sun, irrigated, flood prone in rainy season. I'll be devastated if it dies. Can't wait to try this fruit!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 09:56:05 PM by BR »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk