Author Topic: Lychee thieves got me last nite.  (Read 10337 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Lychee thieves got me last nite.
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
Seems I got hit last nite on one of my lychee trees, this tree was the only one with any amount of lychees at all, they were all on the east side of the tree which hangs over my fence, they certainly were not ready to pick,they needed a couple more weeks, oh well, not the first time and I am sure won't be the last. Maybe karma will strike and whoever. Stole them will choke on a nice Mauritius seed!

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee thieves got me last nite.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »
that sucks- hid in the bushes tonight with a paint gun and zap the thief when he she returns

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
I got something way better than a paint gun!, this is Florida and we pack!! Really kits my fault for uwhere I planted it, I just don't have the heart to chop it down, those 2 legged squirrels are hard to keep at bay!!! Lol

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »
Mike Theres always Brooklyn Justice ;) ,  If That was done in my Brooklyn Nighborhood fugetaboutit!
Broken Knee-Caps if its a minor offense ! ..

Those Where The Days .....
Zone 10

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
That sucks.  One time, my father came home in the middle of the day and caught a dirtbag in the act.  He recovered the fruit and called the cops with the guy's license plate.
Brandon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:49:11 AM »
The Perp Got Off Easy ! .

I Remember Growing Up Im Brooklyn & a Perp Stole A Carriage From A Hasidic Jewish Woman .
No Later Than 15 Seconds , There Must of been about 200 Hesidic Jews & Non Jews From The Hood Stomping On The Theif , After it was all over , all that was left was bodily fluids  on the street.

I lived in one of the Most Safe neighborhoods In Brooklyn ;) Back In The Late 70s & 80's when crime ran rampid thru NYC..

Ed..
Zone 10

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
 I will hold out hope for that big fat Mauritius seed to exact karmic justice!!!! Hahaha.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 11:21:08 AM »
I was thinking about planting a Mango tree in my front yard , But now i will reconcider that .
dont want fruit thieves taking my angos , & my front yard has no fence .

I wonder how many members have fruit trees planted in there front yard.
Zone 10

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 11:26:05 AM »
Seems I got hit last nite on one of my lychee trees, this tree was the only one with any amount of lychees at all, they were all on the east side of the tree which hangs over my fence, they certainly were not ready to pick,they needed a couple more weeks, oh well, not the first time and I am sure won't be the last. Maybe karma will strike and whoever. Stole them will choke on a nice Mauritius seed!

I hate when they steal un-ripe inedible fruits, it is 100% waste they will only chuck them after eating a few. Stealing ripe fruits bothers me less, lets face it the animals are doing it too and the birds are pecking at mangoes thus ruining them.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »

I hate when they steal un-ripe inedible fruits, it is 100% waste they will only chuck them after eating a few. Stealing ripe fruits bothers me less, lets face it the animals are doing it too and the birds are pecking at mangoes thus ruining them.
I don't mind the 4 legged thieves, I hate the 2 legged ones, especially the ones without wings!! Just another day in the life of a fruit grower.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
I wonder how a few motion sensors with lights would work?

Maybe put a two sensors and two lights in each tree?

Sorry to hear you got stuff stolen...thanks for sharing though...we are all reminded to stay on guard now.

The season for fruit thieves is just heating up.  We should have a think tank right here,  to devise a stratagem.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 11:45:23 AM »
I wonder how a few motion sensors with lights would work?

Maybe put a two sensors and two lights in each tree?

Sorry to hear you got stuff stolen...thanks for sharing though...we are all reminded to stay on guard now.

The season for fruit thieves is just heating up.  We should have a think tank right here,  to devise a stratagem.
Is execution out of the question?? Just a thought!!!!!!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Adam Has a good point there !
I would invest in Motion Detector Or Maybe Some Security Camaras , ..
And a louisville slugger Just Incase they try to venture inside your property !.
Zone 10

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »

So SORRY man...that sucks!! >:( :( :'(

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 12:03:27 PM »
The tree is too far from the house and the lights would bother my neighbors on the other side of the street every time a car drove by, I thought about it, but just not worth the trouble, as far as inside my yard, the dogs will take care of that problem.

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 12:05:54 PM »
Can't believe that there's actually people going around stealing other people's fruits! How low can one get?!?!!
kimi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
I've also seen people put up big nets around the fruit that protrudes over a fence or property line (not even covering the whole tree).  It seems like people are less likely to steal fruits if they have to break something, or bypass another barrier to commit the crime.  When thieves can see you've done something to protect your fruits, they're less likely to strike!  It gives the impression that the owner is on guard...and cares about the fruits enough to protect them...maybe even kill for them  ;D

The tree is too far from the house and the lights would bother my neighbors on the other side of the street every time a car drove by, I thought about it, but just not worth the trouble, as far as inside my yard, the dogs will take care of that problem.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
  This is sad to hear!  :'( 
@Bendersgrove- I don't know your set up, but it sounds like you need some dogs! Maybe a nice dark colored German Shepherd who can keep an eye out for trouble at night, and would happily show off his pearly whites to unsuspecting punks!  ;D
Nikki

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear of your loss, don't know if you could but I have used electric fence on a persimmon to keep away four legged critters! :'(

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
By The Way , What does Lychee Taste Like ? And do i need to add one to my fruit tree collection ?

Thanks ed.
Zone 10

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
Lychee is one of my favorite fruits, a must have for any collection.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that. :(
Alexi

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 02:10:29 PM »
  This is sad to hear!  :'( 
@Bendersgrove- I don't know your set up, but it sounds like you need some dogs! Maybe a nice dark colored German Shepherd who can keep an eye out for trouble at night, and would happily show off his pearly whites to unsuspecting punks!  ;D
have 5 dogs, never even heard them bark last nite, I should fire them all!! The tree is quite far from the house, they were probably too busy with raccoons and possums!

ronald123

• ronald123
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss. I know exactly how you feel. The problem here (Jamaica) is not the 'casual' two legged thief but the professionals. They arrive in the dead of night with huge bags totally cleaning a tree of hundreds of pounds over a few nights.

Breaking the brittle limbs leaving a prized tree ragged and unsightly. Green, uneaten, unusable fruits strewn on the ground.

A dog on a lead that reaches the drip line has helped in the past, I have even "RENTED" trained dogs from a friend.

Have used cordless perimeter alarms to help,,, anything to make it harder for the culprits.

Not much problem the last 4 Years  :)

Okay now you got me going. >:(

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
By The Way , What does Lychee Taste Like ? And do i need to add one to my fruit tree collection ?

Thanks ed.

Others know more than me but I think it is more cold resistant than mango. It will enhance your property value more than mango tree for the right buyer. To taste them try to find fresh at a good fruit stand or a large Chinese or Asian supermarket. Many Asians go crazy over lychee and some Caribbean people too. Kind of a mild grape like taste and texture. Sweet too.