Author Topic: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most hyped durian in Malaysia.  (Read 26911 times)

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
Re: Black Thorn durian. Currently the most hyped durian in Malaysia.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »
I also find Monthong and Gan Yao to be quite different. I can't stand Gan Yao, it's far too buttery and sweet for me, like an ultra-rich cake.

Mike, where did you find Chanthabur 1 for sale? I was under the impression that was only released to commercial market for the first time this year.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
I only had seeds 3 years ago when the seed gestapo seized them at the airport.A farmer I know got them for me from a grower of them.A few were released a while ago but they are not in the markets.Long and Lin Laplaes are the hottest durians on the planet and hit the news 2 years ago in a blaze of glory.They were around for a long time.Chanthaburi 1 was bred a few years earlier than newspapers and journals suggest according to the procurer I had contact with.

ajieloso

• Negeri Sembilan,Malaysia
    • View Profile
Mon Thong..Nonthaburi Durian
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »
As i have been told by my thailand friend,Kan Yao is not the most expensive durian in thailand but Mon Thong is the most expensive durian in thailand(Nonthaburi).i was shocked when my friend told me the price but that's the fact.if any of the durian lovers have a friend in thailand or nonthaburi to be specific try ask them about mon thong and how much does it cost.my friend told me the fruit never reach the market because every each one of them already been booked while still up on the tree..how much is it per fruit?try to find out because to me it is ridiculously tremendously out of the world most expensive durian i have ever heard.just 1 piece of the mon thong durian you can buy 2 sets of the latest iphone.this is what i have been told by my thailand friend.

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Mon Thong..Nonthaburi Durian
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:51 AM »
As i have been told by my thailand friend,Kan Yao is not the most expensive durian in thailand but Mon Thong is the most expensive durian in thailand(Nonthaburi).i was shocked when my friend told me the price but that's the fact.if any of the durian lovers have a friend in thailand or nonthaburi to be specific try ask them about mon thong and how much does it cost.my friend told me the fruit never reach the market because every each one of them already been booked while still up on the tree..how much is it per fruit?try to find out because to me it is ridiculously tremendously out of the world most expensive durian i have ever heard.just 1 piece of the mon thong durian you can buy 2 sets of the latest iphone.this is what i have been told by my thailand friend.

Well i live in Nonthaburi and yes it is all true. Many duriantree's died after the flooding so the price might be higher now. When my own mongthong fruits i can tell you the difference between one from Nonthaburi and one from elsewhere. But it is just a hype among Thai people.   They just want something to talk about, everybody can buy a big Benz (if they are rich) but the durians you have to book and might be sold out. My duriantree is 125 cm tall now, i take bookings for the first fruits from 250 us$  ;D

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »
Mon Thong is the most common and usually the lowest in cost.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »
Mon Thong is the most common and usually the lowest in cost.

I also have a gaan yeow tree to graft on it but first i 'm building a raised bed for it. It will be a cocktail durian tree.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Traditionally of the 4 common commercial thai durians, Chanee and Kradum are cheaper than Gaan Yeow and Monthong which are considered better quality.Other thai durians of perhaps better quality like luang and gumpun are not really grown commercially.People routinely pay over $US50 for a good durian here but I can't imagine it happening in thailand.
The old thai vs malaysian durian comparasons and opinions of which is better gets whelled out in many discussions.Many enthusiasts prefer the malaysian durian like red prawn,D197,D190 and penang 88 to any of the Thai types.Personally the larger, creamier 'more highly refined' thai durians appeal to me more. I value my luang and gumpun trees more highly than my red prawn and penang 88 and all 4 will be flowering next year with luck.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 03:41:25 AM »
Shah8 I can't get the site up, can other people?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »
Shah8 I can't get the site up, can other people?

Yes i got it after copying and pasting the link, because part of it got cut off. Here is a shorter link to same site: http://tinyurl.com/knmqf28
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:59 AM »
Some updates on Black Thorn durian from my fellow Malaysian durian enthusiast and grower.
There was an application for D number. He thinks it will named D200. He totally agrees with my conclusion when I tasted it first. Look for it to become very popular in years to come. Looks like Black Thorn will join Musang King and Red Prawn to become holy trinity of Malaysian durians.
There seems to be mad hunt for authentic Black Thorn DNA. He said few years ago when he tracked down authentic Black Thorn in Penang, grower wasn't willing to sell a single scion even for 400 RM ($130) offer. Now that he managed to get Black Thorn and have it growing, he sells grafted trees for about 350 RM or $110 for approximately 1 gallon US equivalent.  Given income equivalent that would be like paying $350 for 1 gallon size grafted tree in USA. Now that is really insane price.

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 09:33:54 AM »
Hi Durian Lover
I'm Interested in Black Thorn Durian Seeds.
Do  you know anyone or you yourself who can get his hands on that?
Helmut

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnZP8_QjKE

Here is the world's most expensive durian on video.

3-600$ for a durian.

I don't understand how these durians can grow in such undeep soil. It is just above the waterline and that water is even moving with the tide so it is connected to the river. During the floodings the water level in the river had rised a few metres so it seems these tree's have been flooded and survived that. I didn't see any traces from the floods though.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:16:05 AM by bangkok »

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
Hey guys!

I recently bought a Nonthaburi Ganyao for ..drum roll... $300. Yup. I'll let you know when I have money to buy new shoes.

But hey, it was worth $600, so sweet deal right?

Here's Part 1 of a 2 series article I wrote about the experience: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2014/07/the-most-expensive-durian-in-world_8.html

You can also watch this cool video my friend Mark did about our trip to Nonthaburi.
Amazing DURIAN at a Fruit Farm in Nonthaburi, Thailand (นนทบุรี)

Also, here is a sweet pic of a Black Thorn :D

www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
Did you see the markings left by the floods in that area? I wonder if those tree's have been flooded. Their roots sure must have been flooded because they are growing close to the waterline. I heard that many durianfarms are gone now because of that, this one must have been lucky or had a good trick.

And did you compare this top durian to a gan yao from the street? And......was it better ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
Surely black thorn can't be more expensive than laplaes or Chanthaburi 1. If it is on par or better than gaan yeow it is a winner but like all durian taste questions it is likely to be very subjective.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »
Surely black thorn can't be more expensive than laplaes or Chanthaburi 1. If it is on par or better than gaan yeow it is a winner but like all durian taste questions it is likely to be very subjective.

Why black thorn can't be more expensive in Malaysia Mike? It is just a matter of how much status you get if you can afford those top-prices. Has nothing to do with the quality i think.

In Singapore they sold about 10 different durians peeled and packed in the supermarket. 3 of them costed 20% more then the others and they were Mao shan wang, red prawn and another one that i forget. I bought all 3 of them but unfortunately never got to eat them so i don't know if they were worth the extra money.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
I've seen (and eaten) Black Thorn between 28 Rm/kilo an 48 RM/kilo, so it is about the same price as Longlaplae (150 baht/kilo - 300 baht/kilo) and Linlaplae (400 baht/kilo, but can sell for as high as 800 baht/kilo)

The Nonthaburi Ganyao is far, far more expensive than any other durian, except maybe the 1,000 baht/kilo durians being sold in Rayong.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »

Also, here is a sweet pic of a Black Thorn :D

Hmmm..pointed end looks odd. I don't think its suppose to be like that. Do you have a picture from another angle where I can see entire open fruit? Once opened Black Thorn is one of the easiest durian varieties to identify. I don't think I will even have a problem with a black and white photo.

By the way, thanks for sacrificing that much money to expose "worlds most expensive durian".  Just as I was convinced all long. It was all hype with no substance. Some silly tradition among Bangkok's super rich. In my life I tried 3 GanYaos. Every time it failed to impress. Most recent one in Sarawak this year, immediately followed by Hor Lor. It was total blowout. Not even close. Ganyao was tasteless with lots if fiber.  It was final convincing point, and I thought to myself there is no amount of pampering, or "special Chantaburi soils" will ever improve this variety to deserve $300 price tag, and make it superior to Malaysian top tiers.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that Black Thorn finally answered my life long question. What's the quality difference between $10 vine bottle and $1000 vine bottle? Yes, its that different.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:31:16 AM by DurianLover »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 04:23:35 AM »
Is there something special about Nonthaburi Kanyao durian? Had Kanyao many times in Thailand and they were more expensive than other durians, but not nearly as astronomically expensive as you say: $300. :o
BTW, i really liked kanyao. Just the opposite of tasteless, durianlover. It has a very strong taste. My friend was not too fond of them because he said he detected a kind of  strong vegetable taste to them. But i didn't find that to be the case. I think it's a bit of an aquired taste, even for durian fans.
Oscar

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »
Is there something special about Nonthaburi Kanyao durian? Had Kanyao many times in Thailand and they were more expensive than other durians, but not nearly as astronomically expensive as you say: $300. :o
BTW, i really liked kanyao. Just the opposite of tasteless, durianlover. It has a very strong taste. My friend was not too fond of them because he said he detected a kind of  strong vegetable taste to them. But i didn't find that to be the case. I think it's a bit of an aquired taste, even for durian fans.

i think what separates a Nonthaburi durian from the rest is the way it is treated - it's grown 100% organically and really pampered. I found that it did have a stronger, richer, and creamier taste/texture than other Ganyaos I've had, but I don't think a Nonthaburi durian tastes substantially different than any other Ganyao that is grown organically, fertilized well, and picked very close to ripeness.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
Ok Lindsay, is that a Durian backpack?!? :o
Sorry your Nonthaburi Ganyao wasn't quite ready. Thanks for the video link. Mark is hilarious (in a good way, of course)

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »
Sorry your Nonthaburi Ganyao wasn't quite ready. Thanks for the video link. Mark is hilarious (in a good way, of course)

Yes the backpack is my favorite fashion statement :)
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 04:46:18 AM »

i think what separates a Nonthaburi durian from the rest is the way it is treated - it's grown 100% organically and really pampered. I found that it did have a stronger, richer, and creamier taste/texture than other Ganyaos I've had, but I don't think a Nonthaburi durian tastes substantially different than any other Ganyao that is grown organically, fertilized well, and picked very close to ripeness.
Thanks Lindsay. BTW i heard from another nurseryman that Kanyao does terrible here and he removed his trees. I have a bunch of other cultivars flowering up a storm right now. Will post photos in another thread.
Oscar

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »

Yes the backpack is my favorite fashion statement :)

Super sporty!