Author Topic: Pomegranate training - single or multi-trunk?  (Read 3447 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Pomegranate training - single or multi-trunk?
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »
Is a single or multi-trunk tree best?  Looks like some say 1 trunk, others say 3 trunks, and some say 6 trunks.

I'm in zone 8b and was thinking a larger single trunk may be more cold tolerant.  Any thoughts?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pomegranate training - single or multi-trunk?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:47:17 AM »
I think it depends on if you have wildlife that strips the bark. Multiple trunks could guard against that. Single trunk will focus the energy and is better if there aren't other concerns.

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:12 AM »
I train my tree into one trunk. Cutting off other branchs. Umbrella shape is the best... looks clean and easy to pick fruits
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:43:11 AM »
Ive done both, and I must say that I prefer the single trunk method for many reasons.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:01 PM »
I think it depends on if you have wildlife that strips the bark. Multiple trunks could guard against that. Single trunk will focus the energy and is better if there aren't other concerns.

I haven't had any animals chew on the trees here.  Single trunk to focus the energy was my thought as well, since most multi-trunk trees I've seen have very small fruits.  Pictures of commercial groves I saw online (from Italy maybe?) were all of single trunk trees with HUGE fruits.  Maybe it's just the difference between well-kept trees and abandoned trees though.  Not may people around here grow them, so no local knowledge to go off of.  There is a 20' tall local tree at a park with multiple trunks.  It gets covered with fruit every year, but they are all small - larger than golf balls, but smaller than tennis balls.

Sayan128

• Chino hills California, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
I train my tree into one trunk. Cutting off other branchs. Umbrella shape is the best... looks clean and easy to pick fruits

I just planted one I got from a nursery and it's about 3 feet tall and bushy right now. Should I start pruning it to a single stem now or wait until winter?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:35 PM »

I just planted one I got from a nursery and it's about 3 feet tall and bushy right now. Should I start pruning it to a single stem now or wait until winter?

No need to wait until winter.  Pick the best cane, and get to choppin' the rest.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:46:29 PM »
It doesn't matter that much but most everything seems easier to manage with 1 main trunk.  My buddy has a massive multitrunk tree and the fruits are large. I will have to take a photo next time I'm at my buddies house, his plant is the size of his garage.  I've also got one thats fairly large with multiple trunks that was here when I moved in.  Neglected tree planted in rock and still makes a decent crop.  I don't do much anything to it at all.  Just a bit of fertilizer once or twice a year and water. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:50:21 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 11:35:34 AM »

No need to wait until winter.  Pick the best cane, and get to choppin' the rest.

Are you guys stripping off the lower leaves and branches when you cut back to one trunk?  Or do you leave them?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
Leaves, never.

Branches, however, within 12 inches of the ground are pointless when young.  Cut them off.  As it matures, you can remove branches even higher due to the branches weeping.

If they're touching the ground, then you invite more access points for pests and other issues as well.

You can, however, shorten those branches into thickening and making some lower fruiting wood.  This can work if you have good lighting position, but not as effective at maturity.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »

I got this pomegranate cutting with 3 prongs that subsequently shot 2 stems of growth from each prong, giving me 6 stems. I want a single-trunk tree, but leaving just one whispy stem at this point seems weird. Though it is protected as it is currently indoors safe from outside heat and wind.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
depends the shape you want for your tree.....if you what a shrub/brush then multi trunk is easier to achieve this....you can with single truck but a bit harder....for me single trunk...a lot easier to maintain

fruitlove

• SoCal 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 09:00:18 PM »
Single trunk for easier maintenance and better fruit production. Focusing the energy into a single trunk keeps too much energy from being diverted to vegetative growth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk