Author Topic: Update on my mango trees So. Cal area  (Read 6750 times)

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Update on my mango trees So. Cal area
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
I bought a 5 gallon NDM from a local nursery.  I am not sure of the root stock. It looked terrible after few weeks.  I thought it is going to die.  After much reading from this forum, I took the risk on the $85 NDM by removing all of the soil and rinse the root.  I then re-potted with with 1/3 sand, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite with some charcoal and organic  fertilizer. For months, it does not do anything.  I thought I am kissing my $$ goodbye.  However, in the last two weeks, the NDM give 3 new growth with about 6" each. 

I strongly believe the combined knowledge of the members on this forum is incredible. I will try to replace peat moss with pumice next repotting adventurer.

That's great! Yeah, someone suggested that we don't change the potting medium, but the mangoes I received from Florida had a terrible stench. You can tell it's rotting and that it wasn't good for the tree. I ended up changing the whole thing, and now the tree is doing better. :)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Update on my mango trees So. Cal area
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2020, 10:06:15 PM »
I bought a 5 gallon NDM from a local nursery.  I am not sure of the root stock. It looked terrible after few weeks.  I thought it is going to die.  After much reading from this forum, I took the risk on the $85 NDM by removing all of the soil and rinse the root.  I then re-potted with with 1/3 sand, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite with some charcoal and organic  fertilizer. For months, it does not do anything.  I thought I am kissing my $$ goodbye.  However, in the last two weeks, the NDM give 3 new growth with about 6" each. 

I strongly believe the combined knowledge of the members on this forum is incredible. I will try to replace peat moss with pumice next repotting adventurer.

All my plants I bring home and re-pot have about 1 year lag before they actually grow strongly. My Diamond mango is absolutely FLYING this year and is adding a new branch every week it seems - lots of blooms too, but overall doing a lot of nice growing of leaves. I'm about to swap into the recommended soil mix here. Apparently that stinky stuff has tons of nutrients to it and can feed for a year or something.

Plan is to use:

50% coarse sand
30% gromulch
5% peat moss
15% pumice stone (found a line on it sold as Dry Stall, a "volcanic aggregate for horse stalls" and well recommended by succulent nerds)
1/2c of azomite
mykos soil additive

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk