Author Topic: Best tasting mangos of 2018  (Read 46866 times)

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mangos of 2018
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 02:51:20 PM »
Here in bokeelia ppk off the charts,lemon zest just started verry good ,coco sold a few but the one I saved for me not quite ripe yet.Ugly betty very good,bombay off the charts,a few dots that just blow your mind.Bailey's marvel very very good.

...Had one of Shot's Bombay's that we picked up yesterday. Amazing! Very popular with friends. Looking forward to trying the Gudang Ginsu soon.

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
This year best i had was Beverly from the selection

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 06:34:23 PM »

...Had one of Shot's Bombay's that we picked up yesterday. Amazing! Very popular with friends. Looking forward to trying the Gudang Ginsu soon.

Bombay is one of the only mangoes Ive hated every time Ive tried it.  I know people like it I just can't understand why.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
Had first pineapple pleasure of the season today and was the best so far, even though also a bit watered down. Best compared to pickering, coconut cream, seacrest, sweet tart, Duncan, phoenix, dupuis, maha, harvest moon, florigon, Fairchild, and edgar I have had so far this year, which all have been watered down. Second is my coconut cream. Hoping the later season ups the flavor.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »

Bombay is one of the only mangoes Ive hated every time Ive tried it.  I know people like it I just can't understand why.

I was the same way until the last one I had. It was excellent. Prior year’s tastings were just terrible. I’m not sure why that is. Different flavor profiles totally, but I’ve also heard that there are different strains of Bombay, but not sure how true that is

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
My favorite this year was coconut cream and then Malika.  But I just picked a massive 2lb Sweettart that I’m waiting to fully ripen, so the current title holder has yet to weigh in

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2018, 08:00:07 PM »
the best i had this year that i would say be the top is Beverly

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »

I'm the same way with Jakarta. Every one I've had tasted like I was licking a penny - strong, off-putting copper taste.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 07:55:53 AM »
My favorite this year was coconut cream and then Malika.  But I just picked a massive 2lb Sweettart that I’m waiting to fully ripen, so the current title holder has yet to weigh in

Please post a picture if this behemoth Sweet Tart
- Rob

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
Just ate my first ever Sweet Tart.  Brains fell out - fantastic flavor.  Thanks to Excalibur for the 45 gal ST I bought last year.   Hurricane wiped out my 12 yr old Cogshall.  No great loss really.

Glenn and Pickering will be ready soon.  Mango time 2018 ---- cant't wait!!!

Also planted a Cat Hoa Loc.  Fruit next year.
Dan

AloeThere

• N FT MYERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
PPK - Bokeelia

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »
Piña Colada
Peach Cobbler
Dot
White Piri
Pineapple Pleasure
Cac
Sunrise
Val-Carrie
ST Maui

Have all been pretty incredible.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:24:35 AM by Squam256 »

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
Okay,
We ate a ridiculous amount of mangoes this weekend and so far my favorites have been:

E-4: blew away all competition
Lemon Zest
Coconut Cream
Orange Sherbet

This was our stash before we started gorging ourselves:

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 03:43:18 AM »
Okay,
We ate a ridiculous amount of mangoes this weekend and so far my favorites have been:

E-4: blew away all competition
Lemon Zest
Coconut Cream
Orange Sherbet

This was our stash before we started gorging ourselves:

Mercy. That looks divine.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 07:33:55 AM »

It was a monster! Almost ripe. Maybe a day or two to go now
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:35:56 AM by Johnny Redland »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »

It was a monster! Almost ripe. Maybe a day or two to go now

You sure that is 2 pounds?

It also looks as if that may have been picked a bit early.  A ripe ST should be yellow to yellow-gold in color. 
- Rob

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2018, 08:25:36 AM »
It was 27.5 oz, so maybe a slight fib, but close enough.  It was starting to yellow at the top and the stem was brown and cracked...it came right off, I didn't need to cut it.  I find that when they are picked this way and then allowed to ripen to about 60% yellow, they have a more pronounced tart component which I adore.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2018, 08:27:03 AM »

Sunrise

Val Carrie

Edgar

Ugly Betty

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »

Sunrise

Val Carrie

Edgar

Ugly Betty

The ugly betty was delicious, I need to find a spot for it on one of my trees now

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
It was 27.5 oz, so maybe a slight fib, but close enough.  It was starting to yellow at the top and the stem was brown and cracked...it came right off, I didn't need to cut it.  I find that when they are picked this way and then allowed to ripen to about 60% yellow, they have a more pronounced tart component which I adore.

That is probably sunburn color.  ST tend to show first color on the botton tip (you dont have to believe me put I have been picking and eating STs for years, before the tree was ever released for sale).  It took years of testing and trying the harvest to determine how to pick.

A truly ripe ST will actually not be tart.  It will be intensely sweet with an explosive zing.  The flesh is on the softer side texture-wise.  Flesh color should be a dull deeper orange (faintly burnt color component?).  If its tart/sour/chalky, its underripe.
- Rob

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 09:15:38 AM »

That is probably sunburn color.  ST tend to show first color on the botton tip (you dont have to believe me put I have been picking and eating STs for years, before the tree was ever released for sale).  It took years of testing and trying the harvest to determine how to pick.

A truly ripe ST will actually not be tart.  It will be intensely sweet with an explosive zing.  The flesh is on the softer side texture-wise.  Flesh color should be a dull deeper orange (faintly burnt color component?).  If its tart/sour/chalky, its underripe.

Understand, maybe that's just how I prefer it. It's not sunburn, as it was bagged in plastic with only a drain hole at the bottom.  I will try and pick them at different levels of ripeness and see where the sweet spot is.  Admittedly, I don't have nearly as much experience as you do with this Cultivar.  Thank you for the recommendation

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »

Understand, maybe that's just how I prefer it. It's not sunburn, as it was bagged in plastic with only a drain hole at the bottom.  I will try and pick them at different levels of ripeness and see where the sweet spot is.  Admittedly, I don't have nearly as much experience as you do with this Cultivar.  Thank you for the recommendation

Why do you think the plastic would prevent sunburn?  Why are they bagged in plastic anyway?  Also, to be honest, bagging in plastic is not recommended...ever hear if the greenhouse effect?
- Rob

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »

Why do you think the plastic would prevent sunburn?  Why are they bagged in plastic anyway?  Also, to be honest, bagging in plastic is not recommended...ever hear if the greenhouse effect?

Is that the thing Obama created? And Me likey plastic

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »

Interesting...Will note this.  I had my first Sweet Tart (which was a drop) with deep orange flesh.  It was the most delicious mango Ive ever had.

My favs so far are:

Sweet Tart
Ice Cream
Maha
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:58:35 PM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
So Obama created the greenhouse effect?  Interesting.  (We try to leave politics out of these discussions for a good reason.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 06:33:22 PM by johnb51 »
John