Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940675 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2675 on: June 29, 2018, 07:04:48 AM »
I recommend sugar dragon it's a perfect pollinator
Vietnamese White , along with Sugar Dragon, is the best pollen supply you will get. Large amounts of pollen, heavy flowering cycle and strong grower with the added benefit of guaranteed fruit! Very tolerant of cold weather also.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: June 29, 2018, 07:08:33 AM »
I recommend sugar dragon it's a perfect pollinator
Vietnamese White , along with Sugar Dragon, is the best pollen supply you will get. Large amounts of pollen, heavy flowering cycle and strong grower with the added benefit of guaranteed fruit! Very tolerant of cold weather also.

Thank you very much for the info I will definitely take advice

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2677 on: June 29, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
Is delight self fertile? Some people say it is but some say it's not. I have some buds on mine just want to make sure. it's a fast grower I bought it February just under 2ft and now it giving out fruit

The hybridizer, Paul Thomson, who created Delight says no and it has been my experience... no.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: June 29, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
Thank you guys for the replys, I hope my sugar Dragon flower the same time my delight does

scashaggy

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 01, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »
Here are some pics of my yellow DF flowering.

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 01, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
After seeing how ricshaw grafted that Giant Megalanthus I got motivated to try the same lol. I rushed to get one at a local store. I’m just wondering if I plant the seeds of this faint Megalanthus will it be true to type?

owenismo

• Los Angeles CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 02, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
That tip is good that you have, I would try to graft that piece. In terms of being true to type, I think seeds retain 50% of their parents genes. So I would say not true to type.

DragonRanch

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »
After seeing how ricshaw grafted that Giant Megalanthus I got motivated to try the same lol. I rushed to get one at a local store. I’m just wondering if I plant the seeds of this faint Megalanthus will it be true to type?

I tried that recently, sort of, I shoved a few into some coco/perlite mix hoping in pursuits of better ripening they'd try and grab out some roots. Instead the fruit sucked the life out of the plant portion, was my impression. They just came apart. Was busy should have checked them more. Thinking it might work as long as cut the fruit off ASAP.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2683 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »

I tried that recently, sort of, I shoved a few into some coco/perlite mix hoping in pursuits of better ripening they'd try and grab out some roots. Instead the fruit sucked the life out of the plant portion, was my impression. They just came apart. Was busy should have checked them more. Thinking it might work as long as cut the fruit off ASAP.

Tissue culturing would work even better.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:19 PM »
No it even survived Irma outside with no damage. I actually just finished making 4 more just like it and planted cuttings of new varieties. Hoping to finally start getting fruit.

So being in Florida and you growing about 3 years, the wood didn't rot?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:26:29 PM by Tiberivs »

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: July 11, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »
Well, one thing these plants, or more specifically their flowers, can't survive is the increasing summer heat. Was 117 degrees at my house in Ontario this weekend and pretty much every flower I had developing on my plants has died. Probably 75+ buds. Was going to be a great flush of flowers. If you live in a high heat area like I do, Id suggest finding some way of shading your plants on the hottest days. Doesn't have to be anything permanent, just something to block the peak sunlight. By blocking the sun you can prevent the plants from absorbing the heat generated by the sunlight in ADDITION to the ambient air temperature. Protecting the plants from one or the other should increase the survivability of the flowers. Unfortunately, where my plants grow, I don't have the option of shading, so I just have to grin and bear with what nature gives me.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: July 11, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »
No it even survived Irma outside with no damage. I actually just finished making 4 more just like it and planted cuttings of new varieties. Hoping to finally start getting fruit.

So being in Florida and you growing about 3 years, the wood didn't rot?
So another question, 3 years and no fruit yet? are you growing from seed? I am getting fruit from cuttings from april 2018. what are you using?

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: July 11, 2018, 10:28:20 PM »
I lost at least 20 flowers I was so excited to get my first fruit but the heat killed them all except 2 purple haze and a couple of American beauty

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: July 11, 2018, 11:31:46 PM »
Im surprised you guys had your buds fall off.  Not a single one fell off here on many different DF plants.  It was 119 and my plants are sitting in full sun.  I water lightly just every week or 2 so they may be well adapted to desert conditions and were not shocked by the recent heatwave.

The plants that lost buds for you guys, are they in ground or in containers? 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:36:47 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: July 11, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »
They're in containers I'm really bummed out I can't cross pollinate my purple haze

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: July 12, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
Does anyone have pollen they can share?

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: July 12, 2018, 09:37:06 PM »
Im surprised you guys had your buds fall off.  Not a single one fell off here on many different DF plants.  It was 119 and my plants are sitting in full sun.  I water lightly just every week or 2 so they may be well adapted to desert conditions and were not shocked by the recent heatwave.

Well, those small buds turning red between the mature flowers in that picture are toast, unfortunately. The smaller and younger they are, the less likely they are to be able to withstand the heat.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: July 13, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »

Recommend you plant some Sugar aka S8 cuttings.  "Everyone" says it's a super producer of good pollen, is a great pollinator.  They sure seem to take time to root though.  Mine have been in a sandy loam for 2 months or so and still nothing.  Same with a friend I gave cuttings to, his haven't pushed.

My Purple Haze never has set fruit.  Flowers are nice though.   ::)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »

Well, those small buds turning red between the mature flowers in that picture are toast, unfortunately. The smaller and younger they are, the less likely they are to be able to withstand the heat.

Hmmm,  I dont know they all start red like that.  Theres around 25 or 30 on the plant but none are falling off.  Its been a week now.  Doesnt look like they are going anywhere.

Hopefully my plants are just acclimated to the heat because its pretty much always hot and dry here. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:30:06 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »

Recommend you plant some Sugar aka S8 cuttings.  "Everyone" says it's a super producer of good pollen, is a great pollinator.  They sure seem to take time to root though.  Mine have been in a sandy loam for 2 months or so and still nothing.  Same with a friend I gave cuttings to, his haven't pushed.

My Purple Haze never has set fruit.  Flowers are nice though.   ::)
yea I have some Sugar Dragon with fruit but they're not flowering the same time my purple haze is . Oh well I'll just wait for the next flush lol

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »
Brandon, I will send you pollen from san diego but I dont think it would still be viable a day or 2 later.  But maybe.  If you figure that out I can put in an envelope and send.
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: July 14, 2018, 12:41:28 AM »
Just to report my experiment on grafting young Giant Megalanthus seedlings onto other, more mature DF plants.

I used the same method that several forum member used. The only difference is that I used seedlings that are really small, less than 1in tall. I was trying to find out if grafting such young seedlings is a good way to speed up growth.

I did this on 3/22:

Started pushing after about 2 months - pics on 5/24

Size today. The grafted seedlings are now bigger that the seedlings that are left growing in pots (last pic)

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 14, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »
Thank you spaugh but the flowers are going to bloom tonight so I'm a little late. I'm going to try to find some local people that grow Dragon fruit

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: July 14, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
Just to report my experiment on grafting young Giant Megalanthus seedlings onto other, more mature DF plants.

I used the same method that several forum member used. The only difference is that I used seedlings that are really small, less than 1in tall. I was trying to find out if grafting such young seedlings is a good way to speed up growth.

I did this on 3/22:

Started pushing after about 2 months - pics on 5/24

Size today. The grafted seedlings are now bigger that the seedlings that are left growing in pots (last pic)

Cool.  It looks like the peruvian strain right?
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 16, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »
Rob, you were right, I lost some small buds.  Luckily most of my flowers were already well formed.  Inly lost a handfull. 

The stuff in my greenhouse is looking really happy.  It was spared in the heatwave.  Cosmic charlie is blooming.  Hopefully the others start blooming too.

Brad Spaugh