Author Topic: Best dwarf front yard mango tree?  (Read 6526 times)

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Best dwarf front yard mango tree?
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:02:44 PM »
Hey guys I am debating on adding a mango tree where my current queen palm is which houses fire ants and I can never get rid of those suckers.

anwyays what is the best front yard mango which helps deter thefts due to the coloration of the mango?

I am currently thinking between these fairchild, pickering, nom doc mai, or any others one you all think I should consider. I am also thinking after planting the tree, I can maybe plant some pineapples plants under it for decoration and of course pineapples.... ideas are going through my head right now.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best dwarf front yard mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »
Pickering, if you are not worried about mango thievery. They get pretty coloration (ish). Nam doc mai is an excellent choice if worried about thieves, and it is generally a good mango overall. However, it seems relatively slow growing, at least for me. Pickering seems more vigorous and precocious, though obviously a dwarf or semi-dwarf.
- Colin

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »
Mallika. Needs to be harvested green. In my hood the squirrels don't even see it as appetizing. Pick it blue green and 2-3 weeks later it yellows up on the counter.  Taste is great and the texture is awesome.
JC

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:19:57 AM »
Carrie. It's green like all the time. Prevents fruit thieves from picking your fruit off cause they don't know when the fruit is ripe when it really is (when it turns somewhat yellow)! Also the tree is somewhat compact. Also you may want to look at growing loquat!

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »
Fairchild or Ice Cream would be my recommendation. Both have small green fruit. Thieves think the mangos aren't close to ripe even when they are ready to pick!

Bill

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 02:35:14 AM »
Fairchild fruits stay greenish, but it's not a dwarf tree.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
Hey guys I am debating on adding a mango tree where my current queen palm is which houses fire ants and I can never get rid of those suckers.

anwyays what is the best front yard mango which helps deter thefts due to the coloration of the mango?

I am currently thinking between these fairchild, pickering, nom doc mai, or any others one you all think I should consider. I am also thinking after planting the tree, I can maybe plant some pineapples plants under it for decoration and of course pineapples.... ideas are going through my head right now.

I am currently thinking between these fairchild, pickering, nom doc mai

Stealth fruits on the Fairchild, is most inconspicuous of the three. Small fruit and stays green until two days before ripe when it goes yellow. Carrie is good for the same reasons but it is larger.

You could also plant  agave cactus under your tree to deter theft. I have them growing all over but not guarding fruit trees...yet

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
I've heard the Malika is picked green - that would be my choice....

Fang

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 08:33:51 PM »
Mallika.
John

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »
I vote for pickering.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »
Pickering seems very interesting I like the production qualities of it. I'm not to fond of manilla. I already have a Carrie

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 02:12:52 AM »
When ripe Pickering is a very pretty fruit. Isn't that more temptation then you want in the front yard.

Bill

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 02:35:10 AM »
Based on your question, i would recommend a Fairchild. If you want to go slightly taller, then Carrie.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
  Extinguish Plus bait is my favorite, and I do acreages.  Talstar is great too apparently.  I drenched some mounds recently while spraying for mites on conifers.

Black 12 gauge shotgun with filled with ice cream salt.  One shot to the butt will deter the critters forever.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:26:21 AM by Mark in Texas »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:32:45 PM »
What about Julie for a dwarf mango tree?
Peter

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 06:20:27 PM »
I also vote for Mallika. I wouldn't call it a dwarf though. I find it about as vigorous as the Lemon Zest, which would be my alternate recommendation for your situation.

Mallika is ideal because as was stated a few times above, it needs to be picked mature green and allowed to ripen off the tree. It can be picked yellow on the tree but most people find the flavor to be better if picked green and allowed to ripen off the tree.

Lemon Zest is another great choice because it's such an excellent tasting mango that only gets yellow.

I vote heavily against the Pickering for a few reasons. The coloration would go against your purpose of deterring theft due to color as it is a pretty mango. The thefts wouldn't be all that bad though because it's not that great of a mango. The majority of the Pickerings that I've had have been very washed out. When it's good, it's a really good mango though. Probably about 75% of the Pickering's that I've had from multiple trees throughout South Florida were not good.