Author Topic: Grapefruit and lemon trees growing just south of Seattle  (Read 1001 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Grapefruit and lemon trees growing just south of Seattle
« on: October 23, 2021, 09:39:24 PM »
These two trees are growing in someone's backyard in Federal Way, Washington, right next to Decatur High School. (Federal Way is just south of Seattle)
The owners are a Vietnamese couple.

One tree is grapefruit and the other tree is a lemon. They are both pretty big, about 6 feet high.

They said they grew both from seed. They are not on rootstock.

I asked them whether it was a Meyer lemon or a special lemon. They said no, it was just a regular lemon like what you buy in a supermarket, not special. Their language skills were not the best though, maybe they did not know.

They kept it inside the garage for 12 years during each winter before planting it outside. The woman said the trees have only gone through one winter outside so far. Both trees have a frame over them, which they cover during the winter. But they do not use any Christmas string lights.

They also have several small fig trees in their backyard.

The first picture is the grapefruit, the second one is the lemon.

pictures taken October 23, 2021

The location is not too far away from the water of the Puget Sound, and it's in a built-up suburban neighborhood, which probably helps keep the temperatures from dropping too low.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:04:40 PM by SoCal2warm »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Grapefruit and lemon trees growing just south of Seattle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 01:20:40 AM »
Considering that grapefruits need high heat to reach optimum sweetness and flavor, I wonder whether the fruits off that tree are of good quality or just horribly bitter.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
What do they cover them with? Bed sheets? Frost cloth?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 12:57:49 PM »
What do they cover them with? Bed sheets? Frost cloth?
I do not think their English skills would have been good enough to tell me, but I would imagine either clear plastic sheet or tarp, something that does not let the wind through.
There is a huge amount of rain over the winter in this climate.

etheth32992

• USA, WA Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 12:49:41 PM »
There is a 'Meyer' Lemon non improved growing outside and unprotected in Kent/Renton that I have seen twice now. It's in a friend of the parents backyard so not in a public view but they claim it fruits and that it has never been protected. Looks about 10 years old and 5 ft. tall due to what looked like a good amount of pruning.