Author Topic: Soursop trunk growth during dormancy  (Read 962 times)

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
Soursop trunk growth during dormancy
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
Hi all,
Yesterday, i noticed an interesting thing when i was taking a picture of my soursop seedling (potted and inside my stairs room, in front of a big window - almost a greenhouse) : even though vegetative flushes stopped around october (the seedling didn't lose its leaves), the trunk almost doubled its size. I took a picture of almost the same angle to compare the size of the two trunks :

November 2017 :

February 2018 :

I thought that during dormancy every growth stops, i was pleased to find that the trunk became more sturdy during that period.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop trunk growth during dormancy
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:20:40 PM »
I don't know about soursop, but mangoes lay down roots during the dormancy period. Their cycle goes vegetation, then roots, then flower + fruit, then back to vegetation. Generally, I find that the best time to transplant is during the root growing period (Aug - Sept here in FL).

Hi all,
Yesterday, i noticed an interesting thing when i was taking a picture of my soursop seedling (potted and inside my stairs room, in front of a big window - almost a greenhouse) : even though vegetative flushes stopped around october (the seedling didn't lose its leaves), the trunk almost doubled its size. I took a picture of almost the same angle to compare the size of the two trunks :

November 2017 :

February 2018 :

I thought that during dormancy every growth stops, i was pleased to find that the trunk became more sturdy during that period.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop trunk growth during dormancy
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
As long as it has leaves in sunlight, it is photosynthesizing--- and it has to use or store that glucose somewhere.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk